Inaccuracy

Toph00

I've noticed my chams inaccuracy....He cant hit a cricket from more than two or three inches away. He eats fine, it just takes him a little longer to scurry around and chase the crickets. Should I be worried or anything?

didnt think i would need it. here ya go!

Chameleon- Hatched May 11, 2011
Handling- Once - twice a week
Suppliments-Repashy Super Foods Calcium Plus (recommended from the Kammers)
Water-I have the Big Dripper and a Mist bottle
Feeding-Small crickets gut loaded with Repashy Bug Burger (Also from Kammers)

Cage Info:
Cage type-16x16x20 mesh cage
Lighting- 5.0 Reptiglo tube with 18 inch hood
Humidity- 50% and above
Heating- heat lamp with a 60w lightbulb
Temp- Stays from 80-65 (day-night)
Plants-a good sized Schefflera covering most of the cage. Also have a large piece of gnarled wood with fake vines drooping throughout the cage.
Placement-on a desk in front of a window about 3 feet above the floor.
Timer-Timer for light and heat lamp to turn on at 9am and off at 9pm

Hm, that is strange... I would try giving him a multivitamin if he hasn't had that before. I supplement all my reptiles with a multivitamin once a month. Herptivite is a good choice.

I don't necessary know if that will help, but either way, it's good for him.

One more bit of advice - waxworms are really high in fat and should be fed as a treat, preferably no more than once a week. I recommend silkworms or hornworms as slightly more nutritional options that most chams still love. :)

is he always that way? or just occasionaly? its not uncommon for a chameleon to miss everyonce in a while. it could also be that he is young and has not developed his aim completely yet. my cham always struggled with large crickets becuz he would hit the tail end and they would launch off his tounge before he could bite them. cut down the wax worms they are a high sugar and high fat with very little protein. infact if you feed him one a day that could also be his problem his insides could become covered in fat i would think. i rememeber watching a video where they showed people who are over weight and they cut thier chest open after death and all thier organs were like covered in a think layer of fat. purphaps this could be happening with your chameleon. i honestly dont know alot on this subject these are personal experience and theory dont judge your actions on my opinion alone.

good luck.

I will definitely cut down on wax worm! I know I can find meal worms, are those just as good as silk worms and hornworms in case I cant find those?

I do use a tiny drop of vit a about once a month. Just a tiny bit on a feeder he will eat quickly, like the wax worms you hand feed him. Also at 5 months a 16x16x20 cage is too small in my opinion. I would upgrade him to his big boy cage or at least a 18x18x36. I have them out of baby cages by 3 to 4 months. Just me I guess.

Do the crickets roam wild in the cage or do you hand feed them?

Perhaps a video of him hunting can give us more clues. Is it possible for you to get a video maybe?

they roam wild in the cage. ummmmm I will try to get a video going, he HATES my iphone though so I'm not sure if it will make him act different. He is usually pretty gung ho though. I have class for a while today but I will put what I get on this forum later tonight probably around 5

I will definitely cut down on wax worm! I know I can find meal worms, are those just as good as silk worms and hornworms in case I cant find those?

Mealworms have a hard outer shell that is hard for chams to digest, so too many of them can cause impaction. They also don't really have much nutritional value. Usually you can't find silkworms or hornworms in stores, but it's cheaper to order online anyway. I recommend ordering from Small Pet Feeders. They have a special going on for forum members only, but it ends today, so hurry up and order if you're interested! https://www.chameleonforums.com/fruit-flies-roaches-hornworms-silkworms-oh-my-68319/ :)

He has always just been a little inaccurate. It's not awful but he never seems to hit the crickets just right so they bounce around

I would assume the wax worms are the problem. If he is only supposed to get one or two a week then I had been giving him way too many a week! :( I'll definitely order some other worms tonight

I would assume the wax worms are the problem. If he is only supposed to get one or two a week then I had been giving him way too many a week! :( I'll definitely order some other worms tonight

I would not assume Waxworms are the source of the problem. Yes they are high in fat and low in nutrition (in my mind, one a month is plenty, indeed I offer them even less than that), but they are not likely to cause tongue issues IMHO. That said, I agree with offering a wide variety of prey.

Does he hit the crickets, but the tongue doesnt stick to them? Or he actually misses (except when very close)?

His sticky tongue isn't the problem. He accidentally gets stuck to my finger and chomps on it when I hand feed him on occasion. I noticed while feeding today that he kinda flails it at the crickets. Almost like he is rushed. I have a video but I'm in class and I have to wait until around five to put it up with my laptop. There's gonna be a couple short videos. I got rush by some crickets trying to escape while I filmed the first part hahaha I got him getting a close on and earlier in the video it shows how he is flailing his tongue at them

Mealworms have a hard outer shell that is hard for chams to digest, so too many of them can cause impaction. They also don't really have much nutritional value. Usually you can't find silkworms or hornworms in stores, but it's cheaper to order online anyway. I recommend ordering from Small Pet Feeders. They have a special going on for forum members only, but it ends today, so hurry up and order if you're interested! https://www.chameleonforums.com/fruit-flies-roaches-hornworms-silkworms-oh-my-68319/ :)

Waxworms were being used. not mealworms.

Back
Top Bottom