Introduction to the community

dommer94

Hello everyone, my name is Dominic and this is my official introduction to the community. So here's a little bit about me and why I'm here.
About a year ago I started researching chameleons, my childhood dream when I was about 10 years old was to bread and rais Jackson Chameleons. I was young and thought they were some of the coolest creatures I have ever seen. My father who raised and bread tropical fish my entire childhood would take me with him to all the aquatic pets tones. Primarily your mom and pop aquarium/per shops. Now mind you this is in the mid 90's. But I was always intrigued by the reptiles. I did eventually end up getting an iguana but that's a different story. But we had researched for months on the requirements for enclosures, the husbandry, and then caring for the babies. Not to mention the cost to buy the chameleons. And at the time you could buy " mating pairs" I think for like $350. Long story short, I never got my baby triceratops. But I never lost the interest in reptiles l, like I said I had an iguana for almost 3 years and eventually overgrown his enclosure my dad made foe him and I sold him to a breeder.

So to fast forward to my adult life about a year ago this all sparked my interest again, so I began researching Jackson Chameleons again and comparing the other species as well. The husbandry requirements and sensitivity that Jackson require vs the Panther chameleon strayed me away, at least for now hence the reason I chose the panther. And I have kids and the colors of panther chameleons is really just remarkable. I believe they are some of the most beautiful creatures you can actually have in your home. And really after owning a couple now are just genuinely peaceful to watch.

My endeavor began about 7 months ago when I started looking for a panther chameleon. I had called local pet stores etc. Not the big box stores, but local pet stores and was directed to contact a local breeder only a couple hours away from me. So I reached out to him. He was willing to sell me a male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, but the stipulation was he wanted to know all of my husbandry first etc. So we stayed in contact etc. I bought the 2x2x4 screened cage the lights the real plants took a walk in the woods to find the branches to setup the cage, the mister the whole 9 yards. And then came the day to meet up with him at a local pet expo. He offered me a deal 2 juvenile chameleons for a good price. So I did it, even asking about housing them together he told me it would be fine, just keep an eye on them and if they start picking on each other seperate them. They were brothers by the way. So a few months went by and hey things are going well I'm thinking about breeding chameleons. Reach out to the breeder about 3 months later and pickup a female. Yes, I made sure they are not related. I bring the female home, and days later the boys can't stand each other. So my nightmare came true, have to buy another cage and another setup. I got the boys split up into their separate enclosures and everything is good.

So one lesson learned here first hand that indeed housing chameleons together is a bad idea. And looking further into breeding and the proper way to do so by individually raising them all makes perfect sense. When they start not liking each other they won't tolerate one another, simple as that. These guys are brothers and act like strangers. So that further solidified my understand and research I have done in regards to breading chameleons. I turned my learning to groups on Facebook, and spoke with some breeders as well who have giving me great insight on what the proper way to do things is. Along with watching all the things that the Acadamy posts etc. I don't know If I can use the name etc. But everyone should know who and what I'm talking about. Incredible amounts of useful information.

So that leads me to now where I have had my first mating and am currently waiting on my first clutch. My goal in all of this is to enjoy this as a hobby and really take my time and be patient with the process. I have no interest in raising hundreds of chameleons a year. I want to be able to enjoy the process and the work that goes into this, to be able to have healthy chameleons available and limited and perhaps get into it all a littler deeper then taking a male and female breeding them and selling chameleons. There's another fascination that I have found from select breeders who really take the time into what they are doing and how they are doing it more or less with their specialized breeding programs.

So for now, yes, I took a male ambilobe chameleon and bred him with a female ambilobe chameleon and we'll see where this takes us.

My plan after she lays is to build my own nursery cages. Yes, I have done my research on supplies etc and what it takes. I am a sheet metal worker by trade so essentially for me to build 20 plus cages to accommodate all the babies will be somewhat time consuming and satisfying all at the same time.

So this is my brief "lol" introduction into why I am here and really what my interest is in this world or community of those of you who enjoy the hobby of caring for what I believe are some of the most fascinating and beautiful creatures around.

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• 20240309_190451.jpg
    20240309_190451.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 3
Welcome! So glad to have you here. I just love seeing baby pictures so I hope you stick around and share with us. Also, would love love love to see your three now! Do they have names?

Hi and welcome! :) I’d love to see pics of your crew. Glad you separated your boys. Chameleons are solitary creatures and it stresses them to even see others. I have barriers between my enclosures to block their views.

Welcome! So glad to have you here. I just love seeing baby pictures so I hope you stick around and share with us. Also, would love love love to see your three now! Do they have names?
Peaches is my female, Rango is my really colorful boy, and Pickles is my grumpy guy. The two boys are brothers but entirely different personalities. Here are a couple pictures. Of Rango and Peaches. I'll have to get a more updated one of Pickles, he's on his way to bed. I actually have one of the two boys when they were still together.

Attachments

• 20240830_180921.jpg
    20240830_180921.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240629_150656.jpg
    20240629_150656.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240624_191538.jpg
    20240624_191538.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240629_100900.jpg
    20240629_100900.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240111_195220.jpg
    20240111_195220.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 5
Having them together was the result of an old school breeder
Hi and welcome! :) I’d love to see pics of your crew. Glad you separated your boys. Chameleons are solitary creatures and it stresses them to even see others. I have barriers between my enclosures to block their views.
Thank you! Yeah, having the boys together was the result of me taking advice from a breeder that has practiced this type of housing and breeder foe a long time. I had even asked him because 9/10 what I was reading was to not house them together. But we gave it a shot and it lasted for a couple months and that was it, I got them separated in about a week after I could first really notice their displeasure for each other.

Peaches is my female, Rango is my really colorful boy, and Pickles is my grumpy guy. The two boys are brothers but entirely different personalities. Here are a couple pictures. Of Rango and Peaches. I'll have to get a more updated one of Pickles, he's on his way to bed. I actually have one of the two boys when they were still together.
They are all gorgeous! Isn’t it crazy how different they all are? I’ve lucked out and have the sweetest panthers that actually come to me to be held or don’t mind if I do get close or handle them. My veileds more than make up for it though. 😁

They are all gorgeous! Isn’t it crazy how different they all are? I’ve lucked out and have the sweetest panthers that actually come to me to be held or don’t mind if I do get close or handle them. My veileds more than make up for it though. 😁
Thankyou! My female is pretty chill. Not so much now, she's a few days out from laying. But my pretty male that's in those pictures rushes the door when you go by so he can come out and go crawl on his plants and look out the window. Pickles thinks that's what he wants until you go up to the door and he's like yeah, get away from me and he goes back in his cage. From some of the reading and all the Facebook groups, I see so many people talking a out how grumpy their veilds are. I'll have to keep periodically posting pictures here once my female lays and my cage prep etc, as long as everything goes as planned.

😍😍😍 all so pretty!!! I have a veiled so I always love seeing all the super colorful panthers. I love my guy, he’s a cutie and I wouldn’t change him for the world, but no where near as colorful 😂

Along with watching all the things that the Acadamy posts etc. I don't know If I can use the name etc. But everyone should know who and what I'm talking about. Incredible amounts of useful information.
We try not to speak the name lest we attract the attention of the digital velociraptors that prowl his lands. But, he is known amongst these parts. Just don't make eye contact...

Here's Pickles Rangos brother. He doesn't get as excited as his brother. He's my grumpy boy.

Attachments

• 20240901_104727.jpg
    20240901_104727.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum…and the world of chameleons! Be careful, it’s addictive!
Please post some photos of your chameleons!
Thank you, it is definitely addictive. I mean I went from wanting one male panther chameleon to ending up with two to months later getting a female and I'm on the verge of my first clutch. But one thing I never knew if become is a plant collector. I've been collecting plants so I can have my chameleons out for a little while during the day just to roam on plants etc. Just the whole experience is pretty cool.

Next is raising insects!
Lol, I already have my first container or vermiculite in with the crickets. On night 2. Think I'll go one more night and pull it, cover and cross my fingers. I'm also thinking about silk worms. Seems like a pain in the butt. But really just like everything, follow the steps and the tips and maintain. There's enough information out there where I think I can get started in the right direction. It's just fine tuning and learning. Practice makes perfect right?

Next is raising insects!
Then, you might get into buying veggies and greens you would never have thought of buying!
Pretty soon you’ll need a whole room for all the chameleons and insects…
Oh shoot, I apologize, I didn't see all of that. But yeah, I'm starting to see that breeding chameleons is turning into the breeding of insects as well. I put vermiculite in a container for the crickets to lay their eggs. I read that some use that and some use organic soil. The reason I went with the vermiculite was the monitor retention. As far as veggies? What would be out of the ordinary. And as far as all the chameleons. My plan is.to stay small. I k ow that can all be taken with a grain of salt considering the subsequent fertile clutches you can have after your initial breeding. But I want to really put a focus on a small operation. I want to keep it a hobby as much as I can and really have a solid reputable program.

Back
Top Bottom