is it ok to give your chameleon a pinky mouse

hpnx0229.jpg

yummy

disclaimer
(i stole this pic from another forum member. )

Last edited:
Ive fed my mine a pinky before - the male (veiled) wasnt so sure but took it and the female nearly fell off her branch trying to get it! I will only do it once every 3/4 months though. Apparently some (bad) breeders do it to make them grow quicker? Dont know if that true. They might get a bit of meat in the wild - its up to you? x

I have to ask, why do it at all? I just don't see any true benefit in feeding pinky mice. For one, they are about $1.60 a piece (far more expensive then crickets or an individual silkworm). And secondly, I would like someone who feeds them to validate any nutritional benefits. Their bones are not yet calcified, so its not like you are giving your chameleon an extra amount by feeding pinkies. Thats just my opinion.

-cala-

I have to ask, why do it at all? I just don't see any true benefit in feeding pinky mice. For one, they are about $1.60 a piece (far more expensive then crickets or an individual silkworm). And secondly, I would like someone who feeds them to validate any nutritional benefits. Their bones are not yet calcified, so its not like you are giving your chameleon an extra amount by feeding pinkies. Thats just my opinion.

-cala-

one of the benefit, beside calcium, is the preformed vitamin A (Retinol).
There is a long debatable argument about how chameleon's body cannot convert beta carotene into preformed vitamin A.
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/03/chat-with-dr-gary-w-ferguson.html

check #6, 7, and 8

I wondered about this myself, I had heard they would eat them, but I also would like to know of nutritional value. I have fed them to a couple of my leopard geckos, only 2 of them will eat them, the others just sniff it, lick it and walk away. It does seem to fill them up pretty well for a couple days.....

ive noticed that people are so against feeding chameleons any thing but insects......in the wild an adult chameleon such as oustalets ,or mellers or even a veiled would not survive on insects alone......other lizards and im sure anything else they could fit would be fair game.....i feed my oustalets anoles once a week and people jumped on me about it ....im sure an occassional mouse wouldnt hurt,,,,no more than one a month would be my choice

i like feedin mine pinkies once a month or so. i think they like that extra protein boost that crickets or worms dont provide.

anole and or a pinky once a month is a good idea just dont try and feed it something way to big.

Some people freak out that you would feed it a mouse or a smaller lizard because it is cruel.........those are the people that never enjoy the outdoors.

when do you think its a good time to start feeding pinky mice, like should i wait at least till there about a yr old?

No set age should be set. More so the size I would say, I would say that most are large enough to eat small mice at 6-8 months old. Pick small mice, trying to feed one too large is no bueno.

nice appreciate it chad, also would like to let you know i bought my chameleon from you guys, haha .. he's doing well.. his name is frost

if and or when i do this, i believe id only do this maybe once a month..

or really for females only after they have finished laying a clutch of eggs

Back
Top Bottom