Is my chameleon okay???

She's not lethargic AT ALL she loves to run around she doesn't seem plump (to me) and I can't feel/see any eggs so should I still get a laying bin? I'm gonna get one anyway but do I have to do it ASAP or can I do it sometime this week? The last pic is what I feed the crickets

That Flukers gutload is not good at all. I've used it in the past myself, but on a scale of 1-10 as far as gotload goes, it's about a 2. There are FAR superior gut loads sold on this site (See Market section).

That Flukers gutload is not good at all. I've used it in the past myself, but on a scale of 1-10 as far as gotload goes, it's about a 2. There are FAR superior gut loads sold on this site (See Market section).

I am planning on getting a baby Panther chameleon about 4-5". I live in Bakersfield CA and it is very dry here. I am wondering if I should start him out in a glass or screen cage. I need to keep some humidity in the cage. Are respiratory infections common with glass cage? Thanks. Also can I keep a 3 month chameleon in an adult cage with a lot of vines, like 2' x 2' x 4'

I am planning on getting a baby Panther chameleon about 4-5". I live in Bakersfield CA and it is very dry here. I am wondering if I should start him out in a glass or screen cage. I need to keep some humidity in the cage. Are respiratory infections common with glass cage? Thanks. Also can I keep a 3 month chameleon in an adult cage with a lot of vines, like 2' x 2' x 4'
I have a Jacksons and keep mine in a terrarium that is two parts glass (front and back) and three parts screen (the two sides and the top). The glass aspect really helps in creating humid conditions that Jacksons like, but not so humid to cause ventilation problems, as an all glass enclosure would cause.

If I were you, I'd just get a screen enclosure and mist more regularly....that is, unless you can find a part screen, part glass enclosure.

That's great that you are learning now before it hatches. Defiantly take a look at the care sheets for both, I believe the temps they need are different. Look under the "resources"tab at the top of the page in the green bar. It will give you everything you need to know. Print them out and let your parents learn too.

I see the vine and plant that you have but she needs more. She needs to have several different levels to be able to regulate her heat and hide throughout the cage.

If you are misting her and keeping her humidity where it needs to be she will get enough water from the droplets on the leaves. The little bowl and bubbler will just end up breading bacteria and she will be drinking tainted water. I had a fountain dripper for a while that I was determined to keep cleaned out but even when I tried to clean it every day it would always end up getting slimy in the tube. I decided it just wasn't worth my cham's health and took it out. I highly recommend you take it out, there is just too much risk.

Keep a close eye on her and just be ready to put the lay bin in there at any time.

Here is a picture of my cage. Lots of sticks and branches so he has a lot of places to go to hide and regulate his heat. They need places to hide to feel secure.
View attachment 162109
Absolutely, panther chams need differnt temps than veiled. I hav the numbers on the cages cause im old and forget. I test it frequently because the weather changes and they get too hot if its hot out. (I dont have a.c.)

I have a Jacksons and keep mine in a terrarium that is two parts glass (front and back) and three parts screen (the two sides and the top). The glass aspect really helps in creating humid conditions that Jacksons like, but not so humid to cause ventilation problems, as an all glass enclosure would cause.

If I were you, I'd just get a screen enclosure and mist more regularly....that is, unless you can find a part screen, part glass enclosure.
I have all screen but i have heard that a glas terrarium is ok because they have ventilation but aquariumsare absolutely no good. Ever. Jacksons are a lot different in husbandry than the others. They are from the mountains

Just go to the grocery store. Im sending a paper. Pick from this stuff, alternate from week to week and forget about the premix crap. Youu gotta know its not the best because those people are trying to make money on it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160522-075949.png
    Screenshot_20160522-075949.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 110
View attachment 162046 View attachment 162047 View attachment 162048 View attachment 162046 View attachment 162047 View attachment 162048 View attachment 162049 She's not lethargic AT ALL she loves to run around she doesn't seem plump (to me) and I can't feel/see any eggs so should I still get a laying bin? I'm gonna get one anyway but do I have to do it ASAP or can I do it sometime this week? The last pic is what I feed the crickets
Nonono. Go to the store, buy 3 things (greens are a dollar). The next week, something different. The next week, something else. I feed them orange pieces for water. Its cheaper and way better. Here is a list

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160522-075949.png
    Screenshot_20160522-075949.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 113
Found that pic online is that what their supposed to look like if their gravid? Mine doesn't look like that we can't tell if mines gravid or not

That picture looks as if the female is in labor or about to lay in the next day or so. It depends how many eggs a female is carrying, how big they are both the eggs and the female and the species as to whether they ever get that "bag of marbles" look to t hem.

Your female looks gravid. What is troubling to me is that she is very young and I am bothered by the lumps and bumps that she appears to have on her body and legs plus her shortened fore face. She's a veiled from PetSmart which right there suggests she came to you with the beginnings of MBD. Please supplement her with plain calcium (no D3) dusted on her feeders twice a day. Get a laying bin into her cage asap. Good luck.

That picture looks as if the female is in labor or about to lay in the next day or so. It depends how many eggs a female is carrying, how big they are both the eggs and the female and the species as to whether they ever get that "bag of marbles" look to t hem.

Your female looks gravid. What is troubling to me is that she is very young and I am bothered by the lumps and bumps that she appears to have on her body and legs plus her shortened fore face. She's a veiled from PetSmart which right there suggests she came to you with the beginnings of MBD. Please supplement her with plain calcium (no D3) dusted on her feeders twice a day. Get a laying bin into her cage asap. Good luck.
Ok thank you so much!!! How old do you think she is? What brand of calcium is the best to get?

Janet, what pic are you looking at? I dont have a pic on my computer

Back
Top Bottom