Is she gravid?

NastyNate

I got a Southern Peacock (Trioceros Perreti) today from LLL Reptile. She was being kept with 2 other females that were in horrible shape. The conditions were not suitable for this species as well. I have been researching this species heavily, although not much is out there. I know Chris Anderson has kept this species and has extensive knowledge on them so I sent him a few pictures to see if she is gravid. He thought it was possible but could not confirm. Based on an article by him, she is displaying gravid coloration (more browns and less greens). I'd like to get some other opinions on this matter. I've seen her for the last few days at LLL, and each time I've been there and all day today she has only been this brown color. Here are a few pictures to see what I am talking about. I apologize for the low quality, they were taken from my phone. I will also attach a picture of her enclosure, which I provided with a bucket of moist sand. She has eaten very lightly since I've had her and has been drinking frequently. Feel free to ask further questions or for more pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318999122.492342.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318999202.444275.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318999261.345890.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318999340.417350.jpg

The enclosure with sand:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318999388.030689.jpg

Thanks in advance!

In pic # 2 it looks to me like an egg so my vote is in for yes, she is very pretty:)

Thank you! She is very sweet. Should the sand bucket be in a separate enclosure? Or is it ok where it is. I just want her to have easy access when I am away at work.

I don't have experience with that species but as far as the sand box is concerned I think your's is good, I leave mine in and cover the cage with a sheet or garbage bag to give her privacy and make sure that the sand is moist enough to hold a tunnel but not saturated or too dry to collapse. Thanks for the link, and hopefully others familiar with that species will chime in :) I wish you all the best! Please post more pics :D

Thanks suzi! I'm assuming she is fertile because she was a WC. In that case, I may have little peacocks in the coming months :)

Make sure to post pics of the little peacocks:D I would Be more than happy to be on the list for one if there are any available :D

Judging from your pic, I would guess she'll lay in the substrate you have in that cage. Chams usually will roam the ground and may compromise by climbing a bit off the ground and in a laying bin if the ground is not suitable. What are you using for substrate and for what reasons?

Actually, it is no longer set up like that. A member told me basically the same thing you said. So I packed towels between the pots so it seems like the sand is the lowest point on the enclosure. Do you think she is gravid for sure? I haven't seen her roam the bottom of the cage, or even come down from the canopy...

Back
Top Bottom