Is she really gravid, or just fat...?

SarahSurfer

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled,Female, ~10 months old.
How long has it been in your care? 7 Months
Handling -Rarely
Feeding - 8-10 crickets every day. Dusted with repashys everyday.
Watering - Drip system/some misting. Leave the drip system on for about a hour everyday. Mist for about 2 minutes.
Fecal Description - The consistency of the fecal matter is not runny whatsoever. Most of the urea is white, very little have a bit of a yellow tinge. (Sometimes she doesn't want any water.)
History - None

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen. 4'x3'x3'
Lighting -Reptisun 5.0, and a basking bulb. 75 watt. Both for 12 hours a day.
Temperature - 85 F around basking area. 68-75 Cool area. Sticker Thermometer :/
Humidity - 60% during the day (The meter is right where the basking light is)South Texas is naturally humid and I have a live pothos vine. Petco dial hydrometer.
Placement - Its in the corner of the room. Near a window but recieves no direct sunlight. The cage is a foot off the ground giving it a total height of 5 ft.
(She has an egg laying bin:https://www.chameleonforums.com/critique-calypsos-enclosure-new-egg-bin-74014/)
Location - Corpus Christi, TX

Ok so I've been thinking my cham is gravid for about a month now...I am not sure what to think any more. She has gotten pretty moody...hissing and even doing a false strike at me every once in a while when I reach my hand into the cage. Today I think she almost had gravid color...not sure though. here she was today...

IMG_0003 by SarahSurfr, on Flickr

IMG_0002 by SarahSurfr, on Flickr

IMG_0001 by SarahSurfr, on Flickr

Here she is a month ago...

About 2 Months Ago:

How deep is it.? Have you tried starting a test hole.?

Some keep eggs for a long time, I'd watch her. If she show signs of being egg bound, shell need a vet.

You might have to research that one. I don't know that.

I think it would be dehydration, not much moving, no eating, sunk in eyes. But I don't know for sure. You'll still want to look that up.

You could place a male veil in front of her and see if she gets Halloween on you. Black with Orange polk-a-dots, with a possessed look.

Last edited:
No male available at the moment :( I wish I could see that way though.
Is thats whats going on in the picture?
Yes, that's the stay away I'm full of eggs color for males. This is a difficult time of year for females. Key is to keep her laying bin warm in the winter months. Don't let night time temps drop too low. Try to keep soil temp no lower than mid 60's.

she is definitely gravid. you eventually get an eye for gravid stomachs. non gravid stomachs usually are very stream line, where as gravid stomachs give off a beer belly lazy look. you will also find your chameleon sitting and sleeping in incredibly awkward positions that a non gravid chameleon would never sit or sleep in

Make sure she has easy access to the laying bin and make sure she feels secure when she's there. By that I mean, make sure she doesn't think you can see her.

Back
Top Bottom