Is this normal

Cod105

My chameleon has recently just starting roaming the bottom of the enclosure, I’ve had him for a week now he’s a nosey be. It’s almost like he sees his reflection? Any ideas? He’s walking with nose down. The light is a t5ho with 5.0 bulb, heat lamp basking area is around 80 degrees , humidity around 55 before mister goes off. My mist king goes off for a minute at sunrise, middle of the day then before lights off, he’s been eating well, but hasn’t touched food today…dehydration? I added the dripper today

Attachments

• IMG_8006.jpeg
    IMG_8006.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8005.jpeg
    IMG_8005.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8007.jpeg
    IMG_8007.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8008.jpeg
    IMG_8008.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8009.jpeg
    IMG_8009.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 4
I suspect he’s looking for more area. How old is he? And possibly does see his own reflection. How tall is the terrarium? Also is his uvb covered by the plant at all? It looks beautiful and bushy I just can’t see clearly. The misting schedule that works well is usually 2-3 minutes 20 minutes before lights on, again after lights off, and then around midnight if humidity boost is needed. None during the day if you are achieving proper humidity without it. It’s not necessary. Just a few thoughts for this behavior.

I suspect he’s looking for more area. How old is he? And possibly does see his own reflection. How tall is the terrarium? Also is his uvb covered by the plant at all? It looks beautiful and bushy I just can’t see clearly. The misting schedule that works well is usually 2-3 minutes 20 minutes before lights on, again after lights off, and then around midnight if humidity boost is needed. None during the day if you are achieving proper humidity without it. It’s not necessary. Just a few thoughts for this behavior.
He will be one in February and his tank is 36” tall x 24” wide the uvb light is in the back it doesn’t seem super bright,
Is that normal? the plant light is what really lights the enclosure up. And I’m willing to try a new misting schedule

He will be one in February and his tank is 36” tall x 24” wide the uvb light is in the back it doesn’t seem super bright,
Is that normal? the plant light is what really lights the enclosure up. And I’m willing to try a new misting schedule
Ok, he should be upgraded to a 48 tall. 24 wide is good. Do you free range feed, could he be seeing bugs? What uvb fixture do you have specifically? It should be a t5 ho uvb either Arcadia 6% or repti sun 5% bulb to be proper. It is not as bright as the plant light right but still should give off some light . It’s 3 uvi exposure you are looking for at the branch for him to get proper uvb. That’s usually around 6in from the top as long as your top is mesh. And I would switch up the misting schedule.

Ok, he should be upgraded to a 48 tall. 24 wide is good. Do you free range feed, could he be seeing bugs? What uvb fixture do you have specifically? It should be a t5 ho uvb either Arcadia 6% or repti sun 5% bulb to be proper. It is not as bright as the plant light right but still should give off some light . It’s 3 uvi exposure you are looking for at the branch for him to get proper uvb. That’s usually around 6in from the top as long as your top is mesh. And I would switch up the misting schedule.
I don’t free range feed I have a feeder tray that’s magnetic on the side of the enclosure and the bulb is a 5% ho, the top is screened and his branch is roughly 5-6 “ from the top, I have the light blocked up off the top, he likes to screen climb, he’s currently off the bottom and nestled in the plant sleeping like a baby. He was licking the bottom moisture from the mister when he was down there today

My chameleon has recently just starting roaming the bottom of the enclosure, I’ve had him for a week now he’s a nosey be. It’s almost like he sees his reflection? Any ideas? He’s walking with nose down. The light is a t5ho with 5.0 bulb, heat lamp basking area is around 80 degrees , humidity around 55 before mister goes off. My mist king goes off for a minute at sunrise, middle of the day then before lights off, he’s been eating well, but hasn’t touched food today…dehydration? I added the dripper today

I would be concerned with The Rubber Fig's sap. It's toxic to Chams if eaten. I'm wondering if he has had skin contact with the sap?

I don’t free range feed I have a feeder tray that’s magnetic on the side of the enclosure and the bulb is a 5% ho, the top is screened and his branch is roughly 5-6 “ from the top, I have the light blocked up off the top, he likes to screen climb, he’s currently off the bottom and nestled in the plant sleeping like a baby. He was licking the bottom moisture from the mister when he was down there today
Ok didn’t know if he was chasing feeders lol that sounds like the right light. I’m out of brainstorming thoughts so hopefully he was just getting a drink or still exploring his newer home. 😊
I do see someone mentioned a plant, I’m not too familiar with it but can’t hurt to check that out and keep an eye.

Ok didn’t know if he was chasing feeders lol that sounds like the right light. I’m out of brainstorming thoughts so hopefully he was just getting a drink or still exploring his newer home. 😊
I do see someone mentioned a plant, I’m not too familiar with it but can’t hurt to check that out and keep an eye.
It’s funny you mention that because a few crickets jumped out of the feeder and he went down on a branch and snatched a few, I am concerned about the plant now. All thought he Doesn’t go on it, I’ll have to look into it more, do you use live plants?

It’s funny you mention that because a few crickets jumped out of the feeder and he went down on a branch and snatched a few, I am concerned about the plant now. All thought he Doesn’t go on it, I’ll have to look into it more, do you use live plants?
I do, I use scheferella , pothos, dracenca, Hoya, ZZ plants. Philodendron Brazil and Berkin.

My xanth will go to the bottom of his enclosure to poop. My panther goes down occasionally to ‘patrol’ his bush. If your husbandry is spot on then I’d probably just keep paying attention to him. He may be looking for a lady or something

I like to hand must midday as my Cham likes to drink water off the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom