Is this viv suitable for Kinyongia boehmei? cham experts i need you

creg

Collecting a Kinyongia boehmei chameleon tomorrow and just want to check if this viv is actually suitable, ive read some people say all chams should not be kept in glass vivs whereas others say its ok for montane species. opinions please? i'm worried theres not enough ventilation as theres only a strip on the top (as seen in pic 1)

P1010171_zps997bf457.jpg

P1010172_zps40e4f397.jpg

awesome dude. :D Deffinatly oneof the best vivs ive seen. To answer your question idk that much about kenyongia specsies,

Thanks mate, i take no credit though i had it custom made and fully planted by DDreptiles. Need to know ASAP though if its suitable for this species of cham as i shall be collecting one tomorrow but if it's not suitable i shall cancel it.

This is no where near adequate for any species of chameleon. Chameleons NEED a fresh air supply, not stagnant air, which this will most certainly be. This is more suited for amphibians. I would only recommend exo-terra glass "cages" as suitable for chameleons.

This is no where near adequate for any species of chameleon. Chameleons NEED a fresh air supply, not stagnant air, which this will most certainly be. This is more suited for amphibians. I would only recommend exo-terra glass "cages" as suitable for chameleons.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I shall cancel my collection then. Iv'e actually got an amazon tree boa in there at the moment so i'll just keep him in there for the time being.

That viv is perfectly fine, you just need to find a way to draw air from the bottom out of the top. Did Dd design this specifically for a chameleon? If so they should be able to make that adjustment free of charge. The whole top needs pulled off to allow uvb lamp and a couple of fans. The fans are there to create negative pressure within the enclosure, forcing it to draw fresh air up through the bottom. Exoterra terrariums have a vent on the front that makes this a breeze. Maintaining humidity is a bit difficult without increasing the frequency of misting. Which if over compensated will give you many many many bacterial and fungal problems

Is the top sheet of glass sanded or is it as easy to slice yourself on that pane as it looks in the photo?

No DDreptiles made it as a rainforest/amazon biotope, wasn't made for a chameleon. He does make chameleon vivs which have a vent on the bottom front like exo terras. I'm not looking to modify it or remove any glass etc as i'm useless at diy so i think i'll just pass on a cham instead but thankyou for the tips anyway.

Glass doesn't feel sanded but doesn't feel sharp enough to cut yourself on either, i can't reach it anyway as the top is about 8ft off the ground.

Thanks mate, i take no credit though i had it custom made and fully planted by DDreptiles. Need to know ASAP though if its suitable for this species of cham as i shall be collecting one tomorrow but if it's not suitable i shall cancel it.

While you probably could modify this setup to house a small cham species such as a group of pygmy leaf types, the bigger concern I'd have is the actual amount of living space. There is very little space for the larger bushy live foliage plants the cham will basically live in. The background and other "structure" takes it all up. Many Kingyongia species are very active and use every inch of space you can give them.

That viv is perfectly fine, you just need to find a way to draw air from the bottom out of the top. Did Dd design this specifically for a chameleon? If so they should be able to make that adjustment free of charge. The whole top needs pulled off to allow uvb lamp and a couple of fans. The fans are there to create negative pressure within the enclosure, forcing it to draw fresh air up through the bottom. Exoterra terrariums have a vent on the front that makes this a breeze. Maintaining humidity is a bit difficult without increasing the frequency of misting. Which if over compensated will give you many many many bacterial and fungal problems

Is the top sheet of glass sanded or is it as easy to slice yourself on that pane as it looks in the photo?

I have to disagree...it is much too small, venting or not.

It's not that small really, it is 60x50x70cm

If I've got the length conversion right, it is still small! I've housed my K. fischeri multi (which are sort of in the middle of the genus size wise) in 36"x48"x36" cages and they roamed every inch.

Back
Top Bottom