Jackson Cham Misting?

Noah77

Hi I am new to this forum and I got a Jackson's Chameleon about a week ago and I was wondering how often he needs to be misted? He's about five inches. Thank you for your help:D

Welcome! congrats on your purchase, can we see pics?

I would mist him at least 5-6 times a day.

they like alot of water.

To make sure he is healthy and that you have everything you need, I recommend filling this form out, so we can see your husbandry, and give you any advice to make sure he thrives
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Thank you for responding here's some of the info I'm at work now so I'm not sure about the temps I don't have any pics yet but I'll post some soon.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Jackson chameleon, 5-6 months, Male I've had him for about a week

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
He eats about 5 crickets and 2 superworms everyother day they are eating oats and slices of potato

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Zilla Calcium Spray

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist?
Spray bottle 2x a day

Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Yes

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Hard Brown with white

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen 16 x 16 x 30

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Zoomed mini dome x2 with one 75watt all living things bulb and a or UVA

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
I'm not sure

Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
65 degrees

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Not sure

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
No
Placement - Where is your cage located?
On a stand
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?
No
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
4 ft
Location - Where are you geographically located?
Miami, Florida

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
How often to mist

Ok a few things....

Gutloading- find some blogs from sandrachameleon about what to feed the bugs. you need more of a variety in the gutload.
Supplementing- dont use that spray stuff. its just crap. Get a calcium without d3 for once a week dustings, get a calcium with d3 for once a month dustings, and a multivitamin for once a month dustings.
Watering- I would suggest getting a Mistking system. it can mist your boy when you are at work and you wont have to worry about him being thirsty.
Lighting- you need a basking bulb, which can just be a regular house bulb, and a UVB bulb, (the UVB is crucial)
Temps- basking temps should be no more than 84, as they like cooler temps, and higher humidity.
Live plants- i would suggest getting some, pothos and scheffelara are great.

can we see pics when you get home? we all love new chammies!

Ok a few things....

Gutloading- find some blogs from sandrachameleon about what to feed the bugs. you need more of a variety in the gutload.
Supplementing- dont use that spray stuff. its just crap. Get a calcium without d3 for once a week dustings, get a calcium with d3 for once a month dustings, and a multivitamin for once a month dustings.
Watering- I would suggest getting a Mistking system. it can mist your boy when you are at work and you wont have to worry about him being thirsty.
Lighting- you need a basking bulb, which can just be a regular house bulb, and a UVB bulb, (the UVB is crucial)
Temps- basking temps should be no more than 84, as they like cooler temps, and higher humidity.
Live plants- i would suggest getting some, pothos and scheffelara are great.

can we see pics when you get home? we all love new chammies!

Calcium only once a week? I thought it was at every feeding.

I spary three times a day in a glass enclosure with mesh roof whilst young. When they are adult in their screen cages I will be doing 5 times a day two minutes each time. Draingae is a must!

For veileds and panthers yes, for a jacksons no.
they require significantly less supplementation.

Interesting.. Now that I think about it, I haven't done much research on jacksons, just veileds.. Good to know their requirements are vastly different in case i ever get a Jackson

ye suppliments do not get used very often at all with jacksons if you follow sandras blog on gutloading you can more then likely cut out the multi vitamin or atleast move it to like every 6-8 weeks good gut load and lots of mistings and lower temps higher humidity and yes drainage is a must if you dont need drainage your not using enough water for them. hope this helps and i would like too see pics aswell he he

Ok thanks for all the info:)Is fluker farms cricket diet ok for gutloading? Also I checked the bulb and its a UVB bulb. So calcium with d3 dusting once a month just checking?
I haven't figured out how to post pictures on the iPhone though...:confused:

Ok thanks for all the info:)Is fluker farms cricket diet ok for gutloading? Also I checked the bulb and its a UVB bulb. So calcium with d3 dusting once a month just checking?

flukers is not a good gutload, it works if you absolutely need something to feed the bugs, but its not very nutritous.

find blogs from sandrachameleon and use the stuff she posted.
fruits and veggies.

Hey

I have a jackson chameleon too. She is about a year and 4 months old.... You need a dripper but for misting manually than at least 5-6 times a day. I would just get a monsoon by exo terra. They are like 150$ but u can program them to automatically mist and it is soooooo much easier!

Flukers Cricket diet isn't the best for gutloading. Its crappy ingredients I believe. Ideally you want to either make your own Gutload using veggies and fruits (you can search old posts for which veggies and fruits).

If you want the easy way out, you can do what I did, Buy Rephasy's Bug Burger Website and Kilgrour's Dinofuel http://www.kilgourschameleons.com/products.asp. I mix the 2 together to make dry gutload powder and store it away in a tupperware. For moisture I put in some actual water in my cricket container.

I also put in some fruits and veggies in my cricket container sometimes e.g. Oranges, Carrots, strawberry, Kale, Collard Greens, Raw Sunflower Seeds. I mix and match.

You can also "cook" Rephasy's Bug Burger to make it into a gel form that can cover the need of having actual water in your cricket container. But cooking the product is a PIA and it stinks. Plus my crickets like the powder just fine. I mix in Dinofuel because its a good color enhancer esp. for Greens and Blues. I just started using it so too early to say actual results but folks on the forum seem to like it.

Supplementing -- This is a tricky topic. Its a given that Jacksons chameleon is a Montane species that usually requires less supplementation than Veileds and Panthers. Everyone who actually keep Jacksons Chameleons have a different idea about Supplementation.

The dusting schedule I use is as follows....
Twice a week -- Calcium with NO D/3
Twice a month -- Calcium with D3
Once every 6 weeks -- Multivitamins

Just make sure that the coating of the powder on your feeders is light and you should be fone

If you have good weather and take your Chameleon out in the sun often, you can use less D3. I am here in Minnesota, I don't think we will get Chameleon weather till April of next year!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the help everyone I appreciate it I've learned a lot about my chameleon today!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom