Jackson Cham temps Question?

Andrew27

I know the ideal temps for a jackson should be around 75 ambient and 80 basking spot. My cham, about a year old female, was looking real drab lately, so I tried experimenting with temps. I put the basking spot up to 85-86 degrees, which I know is supposedly too hot for them. However, I looked back at her an hour later and she was totally green! Before she was an ugly brown. So, is it ok if I continue this? I mean, I know it is supposedly too hot, but maybe her body likes it really warm. Is it ok if I continue this?

Some jacksons like it a little warmer. 85 would probably be the highest temperatures I would use because they are just so darn sensitive. But if she changed from brown to green, it's totally fine to have temps like that.

Here's the temps i follow for my Jackson's
Basking spot -- 84 deg
Ambient temp -- 75 deg
Night temp -- 65 to 70 deg

I concur. .......

You guys are asking about the basking spot temp right? I did 2 things, first, I made sure the lamp only covers the back corner of my cage. So the heat seems to be concentrated in just that corner

And second, i use a clamp lamp with a dimmer that helps me manage how hot that spot gets.

couple pictures to explain
1) Complete setup, basking lamp in back left corner
61485d1344226202-my-first-cham-setup-1.1.jpg

2) Close up of basking spot. managed to do 3 levels so if the top level gets too hot, the chameleon moves to a lower level. The temp sensor in this picture has now been moved to the left and points right at the basking spot so as to get exact reading of spot vs. reading of lamp
61487d1344226253-my-first-cham-setup-photo-2.1.jpg

Pretty dang sweet setup! Bonus points for creativity and function.
And dark brown would indicate cold, turning dark absorbs light/heat. And light colors reflect it away. so find a comfortable balance. 84 as a max basking.spot seems perfect to me.

Back
Top Bottom