Jackson Chameleon

Don't go blowing your hard earned money on a setup that could be easily done yourself for cheap, It's worth the effort AND the experience.:D

I got my juvie Ambilobes and cage setup for $350 cash from a local breeder who was moving and didn't have the room for them. I saw his ad on craigslist and called him immediately!
So just check around other places, do your research and all haha, hell check craigslist like I did, if you're willing :p
You never know, you may get lucky!

I second that advice. I scored an XL Reptibreeze for $20 off the local classifieds. LLLReptile has Jacksons on occasion. I would also check your local classifieds for jacksons, I know there are some here.

Also, even though it would be more difficult, I'd recommend a younger one. Because as opposed to an adult you can watch it grow and build a stronger relationship with it.
You'd know it's personality and it would know you and be more comfortable around you.
So in my opinion, getting them younger would be more rewarding and intimate than it would be with an adult (also, much cheaper :p)

Jackson's have a habit of dying in the first 3 or 4 months for no apparent reason - I wouldn't go too young -
I actually almost got the 'complete" set up when I upgraded my cage because it had so much good stuff in it -but I had most of the stuff but bought it over time - be careful getting "a complete" set up from craigs list - the complete set up my daugher got for her beardy the guy didn't have a clue of it's real needs-
she didn't save a cent-
Research the care and what he's (or she) is going to need and the prices- the canvas set up is actually a good deal -

They do have a high mortality rate as babies, thats why they are so cheap.
I would not buy a jax younger than 5 months old.
The risk is yours, and you may be just fine with a baby, I'm just giving you the ods.
If you have experience keeping baby jax alive, go for it, if not, get an older one.

Baby Jackson Deaths

Just seeing on here that Baby Jackson's seem to die within the first few months.

Is there any specific reason for this?

Just got a Jackson Cham baby. He's now 4 weeks old. I got him last weekend, and wasn't expecting him, so I've done TONS of research in the last week!

The one I'm getting is a sub adult and I found a place to get one. What other food can i feed them that isn't live like fruits and veggies? I want a 75% meat and 25% plant diet.

I was told by the guy I got my panther from that the main reason baby jackson's don't make it is over supplementing - I don't know how much he really knows about it - I think I under supplemented as a result - the care sheets have them supplemented less than a panther - I know I don't know much - I've only had one baby
I got my baby at 2 weeks old - this help me a lot-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA -
I feed my chameleons - silk worms crickets flies and some hornworms and suppers-now that she's older. With a Jackson you can see a difference in their health with a good gut load (at least I did) With my baby - I think that giving her house flies (that I bought at mantisplace) made a difference as they kept her moving and hunting. Another member pointed out how gut loading flies is also important and suggested also using the "fly food" that mantis place has before feeding them to the chameleon- which I did ever since-
I don't know how much of a plant diet your going to get a jackson to eat- though I gave mine some fruit on a toothpick and it looks like she might have eaten it - when she was little I would put a piece of fruit in her cage so the fruit flies would gather and she could get them easy - they mostly eat bugs.

fragile period

The period of 3-4 months old is called the fragile period. They seem to stabilize after that. I used to breed them and it is a real phenomenon. Over supplementing is a myth, but is a real concern. I had ones die that didn't have any supplements. They require supplements about once a month. Their requirements are very different from most chams. A fogger and very little stress will be the best tools. They are just finicky. Very passive with slower metabolisms. Very fufilling creatures, just do the homework!!!!!!!

I was told by the guy I got my panther from that the main reason baby jackson's don't make it is over supplementing - I don't know how much he really knows about it - I think I under supplemented as a result - the care sheets have them supplemented less than a panther - I know I don't know much - I've only had one baby
I got my baby at 2 weeks old - this help me a lot-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA -
I feed my chameleons - silk worms crickets flies and some hornworms and suppers-now that she's older. With a Jackson you can see a difference in their health with a good gut load (at least I did) With my baby - I think that giving her house flies (that I bought at mantisplace) made a difference as they kept her moving and hunting. Another member pointed out how gut loading flies is also important and suggested also using the "fly food" that mantis place has before feeding them to the chameleon- which I did ever since-
I don't know how much of a plant diet your going to get a jackson to eat- though I gave mine some fruit on a toothpick and it looks like she might have eaten it - when she was little I would put a piece of fruit in her cage so the fruit flies would gather and she could get them easy - they mostly eat bugs.
Great video! Thanks

I am going to get a Jackson chameleon to put in this: http://canvaschams.com/product/lifetime-series-panther-package/
I was wondering if anyone knew a place who sold th cheap and had a cheap shipping cost? Also should I get an adult or baby?

Jacksons in general are cheap if you ask me. I'd definitely check out our sponsors for a Jackson. This set up is from one of my favorite companies. I think its definitely worth the money. Everything in that package is high quality. Sure you could go and buy it all yourself. It might be cheaper, but you'd have to sacrifice the high quality of those items for something of lower quality. that's everything you need, in one spot, from a sponsor of this amazing site. All you would need to do is buy the chameleon and feeders . Both of which you can get from sponsors on here as well :) I would definitely shoot canvas chameleons an email and see if you could substitute the Repashy calcium plus for Repashy calcium Lo-D The calcium plus is for a panther, the Lo-D is what I use for my Jackson. Just a little fun fact for you to make you feel even better about your purchase of this complete package, canvas chameleons gives a portion of its profits to Madagascar Conservation. Its a great company, ran by great people. Anyway, Good luck on your purchase! looking forward to seeing another prehistoric looking chameleon on this forum :D

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the info.

I'll keep doing research and try to ensure my little cham thrives :)

So far, the little guy/girl eats a good portion of fruit flies daily.

I'll try putting a piece of fruit in the cage so the fruit flies will congregate there.

Back
Top Bottom