Jackson Horn Growth

Hey guys..this site has been a godsend to my chameleon and I, so much helpful info..now I just have a question lol

Do jacksons horns grow at the same rate? I've had my little guy for a few weeks now and have noticed that his middle and 1 eye horn are growing slowly, while his other eye horn is nowhere to be found..

When I first got him..about a month ago..his visible 'eye horn' (I know there's a proper term for this sorry lol) was just breaking through..now about 4 weeks later he's gone through his first shed..that same eye horn has been coming out more significantly while the 3rd eye horn can't even be seen breaking out. Not sure if this is common.

The first picture is one of the very first pics I have of him when he got home...the second and third are about halfway through when he started shedding, and the fourth pic is today. Thanks all!!

Edit: Words

Attachments

• 20170216_173426 (1).jpg
    20170216_173426 (1).jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 591
  • 20170223_132033.jpg
    20170223_132033.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 565
  • 20170226_150105.jpg
    20170226_150105.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 554
  • 20170302_100939.jpg
    20170302_100939.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
you should enter that second picture in the photo contest.

My jax was slow with his horn development but his 2 eye horns grew at the same rate.

My friend has a female Xanth with small horn nubs and she's almost 6 years old! Xantholophus are the largest and males have horns an females usually don't but can have nubs. Jacksons, both sees have horns I believe and the Mt Meru males have 3 horns and the females a single rostral horn.

I don't..I believe he's a xanth..but that's just from what I've read online and talked to people on here about..the pet store I got him from didn't know

Okay. I'm actually leaning towards a female Trioceros jacksonsii jacksonii just because of the horn development. Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus females can get small little horns at times but for one this age they appear to be large than what an adult female could develop so that is making me think it isn't a T. j. xantholophus.

Here is a picture from Chris Anderson that is what I feel your jacksonii could develop into but like you said only time will tell for sure.

Trioceros%20jacksonii%20jacksonii%20045%20copya.jpg

Sleeping female Trioceors jacksonii jacksonii. Photo by Christopher Anderson.
http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulManchen.html

Do you happen to know what species of T. Jacksoni he is?

Can you post some more good pictures please? if you could also get one or more of the hind legs and tail.
Hey guys..this site has been a godsend to my chameleon and I, so much helpful info..now I just have a question lol

Do jacksons horns grow at the same rate? I've had my little guy for a few weeks now and have noticed that his middle and 1 eye horn are growing slowly, while his other eye horn is nowhere to be found..

When I first got him..about a month ago..his visible 'eye horn' (I know there's a proper term for this sorry lol) was just breaking through..now about 4 weeks later he's gone through his first shed..that same eye horn has been coming out more significantly while the 3rd eye horn can't even be seen breaking out. Not sure if this is common.

The first picture is one of the very first pics I have of him when he got home...the second and third are about halfway through when he started shedding, and the fourth pic is today. Thanks all!!

Edit: Words

Can you post some more good pictures please? if you could also get one or more of the hind legs and tail.

Interesting. There are a number of features of your chameleon that draw the subspecies into question. The dorsal spines on the base of the tail and the development of the horns are both not typical of what you tend to see in typical T. j. xantholophus in the US, but the coloration and patterning in your third image, as well as the shape of the conical scales of the dorsal crest, on the other hand, are quite characteristic.

As indicated, female T. j. xantholophus in general do not tend to have full horns developed, although they do have knubs that can be developed to varying degrees, including a small rostral horn. Female T. j. jacksonii, on the other hand, can run the range from no horns developed to full horn development. This animal is definitely not T. j. merumontanus, where females have a single rostral horn and no signs of preocular horns.

I would say that we'll need additional photos, and possibly to see how this animal develops, to tell for sure whether this is T. j. xantholophus or T. j. jacksonii.

Chris

Jacksons, both sees have horns I believe and the Mt Meru males have 3 horns and the females a single rostral horn.

Okay. I'm actually leaning towards a female Trioceros jacksonsii jacksonii just because of the horn development.

Alright we had a photoshoot..havent held him in a week so i was excited..hes so photogenic..lmao..gonna post the hind and tail in the next one

Attachments

• face1.jpg
    face1.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 348
  • body.jpg
    body.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 270
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 295
  • body2.jpg
    body2.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 991
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 252
Thanks Chris for your opinion. I found those things very interesting. On one of the recent Chameleon Breeder Podcasts Jan talked about finding variations within the group and that there were variations between locale and even elevations.

Please post more pictures if you can and do you have a male?

Chris know this better Tham me but I would say it is a xantho. I fame seen now may females from Hawaii that do have small horns. like this one. besides the dubble spines on its back is I know only shown in xanthos

On the picture labeled "top" u could see a "horn" coming through I believe but I might be seeing things lol looks a little dark hole but something inside . I have no clue thou

@ScrantonStrangler The first thing I noticed in all your pictures were the broken horns. I think all seem broken including the one on the nose. Any damage to their horns will prevent or delay growth.

I have a young male Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis that I bought as a new import at 4.4g (that is not a typo--just over 4g!). At that size, quads don't have much horn development so I would not have expected much damage to his horn buds. He took forever before any growth started but as you can see in the picture I took this morning, he is growing all four of his horns. At this age, he should have big impressive horns, not the rounded stunted ones he has. I was surprised that his second set of horns, the ones closer to his eyes, were also damaged--you can see how rounded they are at the tip, which should have ended in nice sharp points. He still bears the scars of his face rub and has lost the back part of his casque.

I have another young wc male gracilior that took forever to start to grow his horns (third picture). He was imported at just 6g so again, I was surprised that his horn buds were so damaged. He had no horn growth for the longest time and then suddenly they started to grow, albeit quite rounded.

Don't give up on the horns coming growing back.

20160910_103030.jpg

20170303_094713.jpg

20170128_144253.jpg

Back
Top Bottom