just got a reptifogger, i have a couple questions.

samuelLjacksons

How long does it run for? when it runs out, does it turn off? The only timers I have are 1/2 hour timers. Im wondering how many times should I run it a day, for a half hour. Or do I need to buy a controller?

I can tell you from experience that those things are CRAP... If you have a jacksons you should go get a cool mist humidifier and attach hose and pvc to allow for mist to get to the cage. You should return that reptifogger before the fan breaks on it. Also, I have a setup that needs a humidifier for my Green Tree Python and it is set up to a zoomed hygoptherm. When the humidity gets low, the hygortherm sensor goes off and it allows for the humidity to turn on until it senses that it is proper humidity. It is about 100 bucks but totally worth it...... It has two connections. Once for heat (I use a ceramic heat emitter for my GTP) and the humidity connection. Hope this helped. But I strongly suggest taking the Reptifogger back if you can.. It is junk....

agreed

I personally think the money you spent on this would have served you better buying a mistking, they are great and do a great job of keeping the humidity up, as well as watering your cham. Starter set start out at $99 and it now comes with the timer, and an option to get a double sprayer. Something to think about. But if you insist on an fogger type device I too recommend a cool mist humidifier, Walmart has them for around $44. Amazon is the same.

Oh and if you do decide to get a Mistking, and you live in the USA buy it from an American dealer, otherwise the shipping will be murder. I used LLLREPTILE.:)

How long does it run for? when it runs out, does it turn off? The only timers I have are 1/2 hour timers. Im wondering how many times should I run it a day, for a half hour. Or do I need to buy a controller?

The instructions should tell you if you can run it until dry and what will happen (auto shut off or not). I would suspect there will be a warning NOT to let it run dry or you will damage the unit.

I haven't used these, but can tell you that unless there is a timer built in to the unit, you'll have to control it with something else. First you'll need to experiment to find out how long one fill of the reservoir will last. So, run it for that half hour several times (like on a day when you are around to watch it) and keep track of how much water it goes through. Eventually you will figure out how many 1/2 hour cycles you can get out of one reservoir fill.

Less than $40, and works AWESOME.

I had to run it at the lowest setting in my small terrarium. My new terrarium is large and I'm still working on the plumbing for it, but even with the humidifier on the floor and running a long pipe up to the top (which is about a foot taller than the terrarium pictured below), it can fill the terrarium quickly if my controller didn't shut it off.

Here's my old set up and small terrarium.
full

I read too many bad things about the repitifogger to risk the cash on it and watched to many youtube videos to not want to try this! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
isn't 85% humidity a bit high for veileds?

Yes. The upper limit is around 70%. I then let it fall down to about 30% before having my controller turns it back on.

The picture I posted was a test. I've had it up to 100% in the past during testing the cycle times I needed. I do not even believe my cham was in there at the time. ;)

The temp/ humidy tester in the picture is also very slow to change. So although it says 85%, it wasn't. At 80% or more, the terrarium is real foggy, even more than this:

full

The mist cycle above was probably at the 70% mark and just about to cut off. It will sometime "coast" up to "73-ish %" which isn't hateful. The humidity quickly disipates. (at least in my area)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think these are really necessary if you know how to keep them sprayed well with a drip system in place.

It's not a matter of necessity. It's a matter of convenience. I work 8 hours a day, commute 40 minutes one way Monday thru Friday. (Off Saturday and Sunday)

I can't be there for 9 hours out of the day to spray down or mist the terrarium.

I don't use a drip system either. My cham drinks from a water bottle.

My Reptifogger still works, but the fan makes pretty loud noises when it's on (started a few months after buying)...so I gave up and no longer use it, but keep it just in case something happens to the humidifiers I currently use.
I use 3 humidifiers (2 cooling and 1 warming)...2 are on timers (1 is for night and 1 is for the day) that keep my chameleon/gecko room to around 50% humidity, and I manually mist the chams at least twice a day.
Humidifiers are a MUST here in Arizona since it's dry heat here.

I use one during the winter, it can be loud sometimes, however I have never had any problems with it. Mine is on a timer and runs 4 times a day for a half an hour each time. I have it connected to about 10' of CPVC pipe to do multiple cages.
The reservoir usually last me about a week, give or take. I'm not sure about running dry, I try to fill mine up when I see that it's about half full, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it had a run dry shut off, not sure though. Hope that helps.

Sorry I'm very pro Mistking !!!! If you ask me return it and get a Mistking !!!

I have 5 of them and have 0 problems with them!!!!!! :D

My Reptifogger still works, but the fan makes pretty loud noises when it's on (started a few months after buying)...so I gave up and no longer use it, but keep it just in case something happens to the humidifiers I currently use.
I use 3 humidifiers (2 cooling and 1 warming)...2 are on timers (1 is for night and 1 is for the day) that keep my chameleon/gecko room to around 50% humidity, and I manually mist the chams at least twice a day.
Humidifiers are a MUST here in Arizona since it's dry heat here.

Thats the biggest issue I believe I read on those. The fan gets noisy, probably due to the sleeve bushings or bearings wearing out/corroding. Next it seizes up and you get no output.

These types of reviews from Amazon and other sites, including here steered me clear of this product. I'm glad yours works well for you still, although a bit noisy. :)

I don't think these are really necessary if you know how to keep them sprayed well with a drip system in place.

In some climates they end up being pretty necessary IMHO. Humans are comfortable with an indoor humidity level much lower than a cham's natural habitat. Because chams (maybe except the namaqua!) evolved in humid situations they are not very efficient at conserving body moisture. They tend to lose ground when kept indoors in the typical captive setup which can lead to eye damage, kidney and liver damage, constipation, intestinal prolapses, etc. If you can't be there keeping their cage humidity level constantly higher than the room, they will end up being dehydrated at a low level most of the time even if they get to drink several times a day. If you try keeping the room at that higher humidity you'll end up with mold, mildew, and structural rot.

Back
Top Bottom