Just got my first batch of mealworms

ragidi

Hello!
I just bought 200 mealworms.

IMG-20160228-WA0011.jpeg

They're smaller than I thought.

I should mention that I have never EVER bred any type of bug before.

Anyway, I did do my research. What I will do is smash some cornflakes, put that into a glass tank I have, and put the mealworms there.

My questions are:

● can mealworms climb glass?
● can mealworms climb plastic?
● can the darkling beetles climb glass?
● can darkling beetles climb plastic?

The tank is very deep (around 50 cm deep). Is that OK?

If there is anything that I, as a fresh newbie, need to know about breeding mealworms, PLEASE don't hesitate to tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Ragidi,
Sorry to burst your bubble but don't waste too much time breeding mealworms. Mealworms are not a good food source for Chams. They have a hard shell and is hard to digest and has little nutritional value. Try something else maybe superworms. Good luck
Dave

Hey Ragidi,
Sorry to burst your bubble but don't waste too much time breeding mealworms. Mealworms are not a good food source for Chams. They have a hard shell and is hard to digest and has little nutritional value. Try something else maybe superworms. Good luck
Dave
I know they're not the best, but that's the only kind of worm I can get my hands on. It was very difficult to find someone who sells them (I had to ask someone who knew someone who knows someone, long story). Bug sellers are rare in here (Saudi Arabia).
Of course I will continue searching for other feeder bugs, but for now I'll have to settle with mealworms.
Thanks for the advice!

I know they're not the best, but that's the only kind of worm I can get my hands on. It was very difficult to find someone who sells them (I had to ask someone who knew someone who knows someone, long story). Bug sellers are rare in here (Saudi Arabia).
Of course I will continue searching for other feeder bugs, but for now I'll have to settle with mealworms.
Thanks for the advice!
Hey Ragidi,
Sorry I didn't know what your feeder availability was. Here in the US feeders are very available.
Mealworms are easy to breed all you need to do is add some bedding to your container like wheat bran and add some fresh veggies. And before too long you'll have beetles, and before you know it you'll have a nice colony going. Good luck
Dave

Hey Ragidi,
Sorry I didn't know what your feeder availability was. Here in the US feeders are very available.
Mealworms are easy to breed all you need to do is add some bedding to your container like wheat bran and add some fresh veggies. And before too long you'll have beetles, and before you know it you'll have a nice colony going. Good luck
Dave

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom