Just got my first Dubia

Lpsouth1978

Avid Member
I just got my first order of Dubia Roaches. In all I got:

10 - Adult Males
30 - Adult Females
Approx 100 - 3/8"

They had only been in their new home for about 20 minutes when I saw a pair, what I can only assume, mating? It seems that the males rump was inside the females rump, kinda crazy. I took a picture, though it is difficult to see the connection between the two in the photo. I assume this means they are happy in thier new home and temps are good?

yeah they are mating. The males have those long wings and the females have short stubby wings. They don't fly however

Awesome. I remember when I got my first B. dubia roaches a year ago....now I have over 50,000 that I feed more veggies than I can eat!

They definitely can fly. Though not from ground level it seems. I've had one fly across my room and kept flight for a long time.

Could you have had a mix or a different species that looks similar?

I've had dubia for around 5 years now (currently around 120-150,000 at home and I sell thousands every week). I've NEVER seen one fly. The males can flutter their wings and sort of "glide" to the ground, but I've never seen one actually take flight and stay flying.

Or maybe he started up higher and was slowing descending making him look like he flew?

To the OP, congrats and good luck starting your colony. It is totally worth it!

Could you have had a mix or a different species that looks similar?

I've had dubia for around 5 years now (currently around 120-150,000 at home and I sell thousands every week). I've NEVER seen one fly. The males can flutter their wings and sort of "glide" to the ground, but I've never seen one actually take flight and stay flying.

Or maybe he started up higher and was slowing descending making him look like he flew?

To the OP, congrats and good luck starting your colony. It is totally worth it!

Hi, it was 100% dubia. It was actually flying up and down so it was not just gliding down to the ground. It was at night time (my tv was on so I saw everything) so the time of day may have triggered him to be active. It was an escape male that took flight from a 3ft tall enclosure.

I have a jacksons and I would love to do a roach colony but roaches are the one thing I can't get over. They freak me out too much lol

I just got my first order of Dubia Roaches. In all I got:

10 - Adult Males
30 - Adult Females
Approx 100 - 3/8"

They had only been in their new home for about 20 minutes when I saw a pair, what I can only assume, mating? It seems that the males rump was inside the females rump, kinda crazy. I took a picture, though it is difficult to see the connection between the two in the photo. I assume this means they are happy in thier new home and temps are good?

Its those sexy hairy arms of your's that gets the girls going. :eek: LMFAO!!!!!

I have a jacksons and I would love to do a roach colony but roaches are the one thing I can't get over. They freak me out too much lol

I absolutely understand!! I am still creeped out by them!:eek:

However, I did the math and found that I was spending $40-50 a week on crickets for my guys. That translates to about $2600 a year for crickets alone. YIKES!!!

By getting over my disgust for roaches I will be able to save nearly $2000 a year by simply breeding my own roaches.

Also, I don't have to drown out the irritating chirping, hunt down escaped crickets, or clean the cricket bins every other day because they STINK SOOOOOO BAD!!!

I am quickly become a dubia liker (I don't think I will ever be a dubia lover).:p

I absolutely understand!! I am still creeped out by them!:eek:

However, I did the math and found that I was spending $40-50 a week on crickets for my guys. That translates to about $2600 a year for crickets alone. YIKES!!!

By getting over my disgust for roaches I will be able to save nearly $2000 a year by simply breeding my own roaches.

Also, I don't have to drown out the irritating chirping, hunt down escaped crickets, or clean the cricket bins every other day because they STINK SOOOOOO BAD!!!

I am quickly become a dubia liker (I don't think I will ever be a dubia lover).:p

I can't take credit for this, but I've used another definition of roaches w/ my family because they don't like bugs period. I heard another member touch on this similar issue. Call them "beetles", and not roaches. I guess it's like pinching your nose when you are trying to eat something that you don't think tastes good. Dubia beetles might sound better than dubia roaches. Just say it fast, and it sound good, right????? ;)

...Call them "beetles", and not roaches. I guess it's like pinching your nose when you are trying to eat something that you don't think tastes good. Dubia beetles might sound better than dubia roaches. Just say it fast, and it sound good, right????? ;)

I have actually read this same thing before. The trouble is that I already know what they are. I just look at this as a good opportunity to grow personally and work to overcome a "fear" of mine.

Ive been forced to buy new dubias every other month just because they dont breed and die... I dont have any heat source for them other than a blanket under their tub :rolleyes: Is this the problem? :/ I dont trust heat pads and such.

Ive been forced to buy new dubias every other month just because they dont breed and die... I dont have any heat source for them other than a blanket under their tub :rolleyes: Is this the problem? :/ I dont trust heat pads and such.

With out a heat source your dubia will not breed (or at least not as fast). You can always set the bin nextt o a heat lamp or uv light.

They won't breed if the temps are under 90-95F. Also if the humidity is too low, they can't molt properly and will die. The heat combined with the water crystals will usually keep the humidity in decent range. I used flex watt heat tape on the bottom of the bin and it has worked very well. It keeps the temps in the bin between 90-95.

Back
Top Bottom