Keeping Cham in Kitchen

jesses

Hi, new member here. All I can say is this place is fantastic! :) Alright, so.. I'm planning on owning a chameleon again after almost 8 years. And I'm wondering if it is fine to keep in the kitchen. As of now, it is the best place to keep it but I'm willing to make room elsewhere in the house. Will cooking fumes harm a chameleon? There's only 3 people living here and kitchen visits are quite seldom, except for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If it matters, I am looking at Jacksons chameleons.

I would say no, due to temperature changes, I am not aware of what fumes are in your kitchen, however. If you use things that are in the form of sprays often, I would say no again.

For health reasons alone I would never keep a chameleon in my kitchen. I don't know your home but a kitchen seems like the last place to keep one. If you have friends over, eat dinner late, etc it could stress the cham. A quiet out of the way place would be better in my opinion.

If cooking fumes would be an issue , it would be more an irritant than a toxic issue. As an irritant, the fumes could produce a respiratory issue or conguntivitis of the eyes.

I would assume it could be tried and observation would provide your answer.

Welcome! :)

I would agree the kitchen would not be best choice. What may seem to be short visits in the kitchen for you (3 x times a day) very well could be way too much traffic for the cham, causing stress.

Oven cleaners, cooking fumes etc all another good health reason not to as previously stated.

I would try to find another better location for the cham.

I don't know if it applies to reptiles....

but, teflon a.k.a. non-stick surfaces on pans, is highly toxic to birds.
I know jessies isn't going to put her cham in the kitchen, I thought I'd add another possible reason to avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom