Longevity of Panther Chameleons - who has the oldest living Panther?

I have heard that Panther Chameleons only live to get 8 years old max! Then I have heard rumors of up to 14! What better way to find out for sure than to ask all of you who have Chameleons and know people who have Chameleons! Come on people, let's get this problem solved! Your input and help is much appreciated! Thanks! Matt

Don't put much credibility in rumors! I think 8 years would be an extremely successful life for a panther.
I can't remember any of mine going past 6 years. Had panthers since 1994! Maybe blame my husbandry.
I've read that some locales almost completely disappear in the long cold dry winter in Madagascar.
We're not doing that badly.

There are some panthers that might out live the norm, but the normal is from 6-7 years old. But that's generally the rule with every living creature there's always going to be those odd few who live to be older. I had a rat live to be 5 years just recently when they usually live to be 3.

Something I'd been wondering for a while - do they live longer, the same as, or shorter when in captivity than when in the wild?

Something I'd been wondering for a while - do they live longer, the same as, or shorter when in captivity than when in the wild?

When we were in Madagascar a few years ago on the island of Nosy Be we were told that most of them die off every year during the dry season and the next spring babies hatch and start all over again. We did notice that allot of the chameleons looked fairly young.

We human beings usually breed animals for features we like. Sure, looks an character is great, but who cares about longevity? I do! So people with old, I mean ancient chameleons please speak up! Thanks!

Come on people! Without your help I am lost! Please help! How old did your oldest chameleon get? Please! The oldest anyone fessed up to here is 5 years old and still doing well!

Hey, I just saw a post by radstusky, the person has a chameleon "Leo" he is 5 years old!
I'm pretty sure that Leo is six if u read the thread

Yep he's six, I just took the thread from last year and updated it. I've heard of people having them live to seven years old. I think that's the oldest I've heard of.

Well I do thank you for correcting me! Our record is 6 and going strong you guys should check Mr. Leo out (post by Radstusky)! He is a babe!

He can still get fired up, but I think his colors have faded a bit. Also he's fallen out of his tree a few times, now I put some bubble wrap down there to cushion his fall!

Back
Top Bottom