Male or female?

Sebastian1213

Ok so my girlfriend got me a nosy be panther for Xmas, she wasn't sure how old he/she was when we got it. It's been five months now and still not sure. We seem to believe it's a female cause there's no bulge. Just want some thoughts and opinions of other Cham owners. Thanks..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 225
Hi and welcome to the forum! It does look like your Nosy Be is a female.

Just in case you're not aware, female panthers will lay eggs even without being mated with a male, and she's at the age where she could start producing eggs. Here are a few links that might be useful if you haven't seen them already:

How to set up a laying bin: https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/
One way to raise females: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html (it's about veileds but is valid for panthers as well.)

Thank you, and no we were not aware of that. We have done a lot of research on nosy be panthers. (Her more than I) and neither one of us came across that. Are the eggs fertile, and about how many eggs will be produced? Thank you again.

No, they wouldn't be fertile so they can be thrown out once you dig them up. How many she lays will depend on how warm she's kept and how much she's fed (the higher those factors are the higher the number of eggs she can produce), but usually panthers will lay between 20-40 on average.

The second link I gave you describes a method of keeping them a little cooler and feeding a little less that really does work in reducing egg production. It imitates conditions that aren't "plentiful," so she's not as encouraged to produce as many eggs as she can, like she might if food is consistently bountiful. I follow that method with my girls and my panther female was only producing 10-15 eggs in her infertile clutches, so a really manageable number compared to 40!

One more thing I'm sorry, I know chams aren't much of a physical interaction pet. Some don't mind, and some get very angry and defensive when u try handling them. Our Cham doesn't seem to mind and is very active. Should we be less active with her?

You're very welcome!

If she seems open to it then you're lucky! If she's the type of chameleon that comes right out and climbs up your arm then that's great. Just put her back is she seems like she's had enough.

ok just wanted to make sure, but yes shes very open and friendly. I mean majority of the time we open her habitat and she climbs right out. I have seen and read different blogs about chams not like being handled and held alot, but ours loves to come out and loves to be handled.

ha! my computer is acting up so I can't view the pictures, but I just had to comment because I named my panther Basil too! Do you pronounce it Bazzle or do you pronounce it like the herb basil?

Ah dang. I named mine after the great mouse detective Basil of Baker Street bc the little girl mouse in the movie has the same name as my wife, Olivia ;)

Guess I'll just have to spell it Bazzle so people don't get confused

Back
Top Bottom