Male veiled enclosure

EarlMT

Does this look like an OK set up? Any and all opinions/advice welcome!
1485451733228815471561.jpg

I would add more foliage. How far is thr basking branch from the uvb light?
8 inches, it is 80-83 degrees and I figured as he gets bigger he'll technically be closer to the bulb making it a hotter basking area if that's correct?

I would add more foliage. How far is thr basking branch from the uvb light?
Also where would you recommend adding more foilage and foilage as in artificial foilage or live such as pothos? All the pothos at my home depot were pretty small and I'm unsure how to get them higher in the enclosure

Also where would you recommend adding more foilage and foilage as in artificial foilage or live such as pothos? All the pothos at my home depot were pretty small and I'm unsure how to get them higher in the enclosure
For a veiled, live is better because sometimes they like to munch on it and it hold humidity a lot better.
Pothos grow pretty fast. Walmart carries large house plants too, and some are cham safe

I bought a pothos divided and braided it myself.
Any suggestions to putting a pothos higher up in the enclosure since the ones locally here don't have long vines so I can't get them up very high? I'm waiting for a jungle dawn led to get in so It will hopefully help it grow.

What i did, was i had a branch going to his heat lamp that was still in the UVB hitting it, that way if hes warm he can go there, if hes hot he can leave and go else where, being as theirs only one vine in the center and they like to be higher up maybe give him two options high up. One to a heat lamp spot and the other as a "chill" spot. I had a dual lamp setup and when i moved into a larger XL cage i split the lights up so that i could give my girl more options. Before she had to go up and sit on that one branch for heat, but now after she eats she goes to her basking spot, then after a few hours she just crawls and hangs out at other spots.

Mine are small too, so I out a big umbrella plant in. I may hand the smallest on the bamboo scaffold that I made
cage.JPG

There are many ways to get the pothos up higher in the enclosure. You can run a price of wood across the top of the outside of the enclosure resting on the frame and run fishing line through the screen tied around the wood and use a hanging pot hung from the fishing line. One of my enclosures I drilled holes in the branches and used fishing line to secure them to the frame and made an area where pot could be rested on the branches and then secured the pot to the frame as well with fishing line. Dragon strand ledges are a good alternative. I built my own variation of them and used zip ties to secure pots and branches then used pond foam to get a more natural look.

I have both live and fake plants the hibiscus is real I would load your cage with a lot of plants and the water at the bottom your Cham will not use they do not see standing water as a source to sting from

I have both live and fake plants the hibiscus is real I would load your cage with a lot of plants and the water at the bottom your Cham will not use they do not see standing water as a source to sting from
Yeah I have a misking for his water I just barely fill the water every day for the crickets lol

Do you still have that particular umbrella tree/schefflera in the cage? If so I would remove it immediately. If I am correct that is the schefflera that is considered completely unsafe. The schefflera that is normally used can also be toxic if eaten in huge quantities, but the amount veileds eat never seem to bother them with type of plant. But the type of schefflera I saw in your picture is never considered safe to use.

Do you still have that particular umbrella tree/schefflera in the cage? If so I would remove it immediately. If I am correct that is the schefflera that is considered completely unsafe. The schefflera that is normally used can also be toxic if eaten in huge quantities, but the amount veileds eat never seem to bother them with type of plant. But the type of schefflera I saw in your picture is never considered safe to use.
I do but it was labeled a Schefflera arboricola, which is on flchams safe plant list. Is there anyway to tell what type of umbrella tree and if it is/isn't safe??

N
I'm no means an expert it was just a decent sized plant to fill up all the empty space in my enclosure and it was labeled one on their list, any advice on how to make sure it's OK or even a different plant to put in there would be appreciated:)

But there are various other plants that work well too. With veileds I personally would never use a fivus due to the nausea it can cause if the sap is ingested. I use it in my other cages, pothos are good and easily grow in low light. I also particularly love cammelia plants for veileds, but generally finding one of decent size can be a bit of a hassle for sure. Definitely worth the random buy and expense if you happen to run across one though.

The plant species schefflera arboricola is definitely the one you want. But unless yours is a relatively huge plant that has been growing several years it wouldn't look near enough like that to be confused easily. Generally when they are labeled in like home depot or similar stores they don't know what they are talking about

http://www.ambius.com/ambius-catalogs/floor-plants/medium-light/schefflera-arboricola/index.html

This is what variety you want
Any suggestions on any others? The pothos available at the moment where I'm at are all small and wouldn't provide much foilage. Just want something decently sized!

Back
Top Bottom