Mantis babies are hatching!!!

The ones that drowned are comming back to life! They fooled us.

I doubt it.
Mantids are known for being strictly serious. They do not fool around.
What probably happened is, the live mantids went and performed CPR on the drowning ones. That way they can eat them. (remember mantids only eat live prey)
Thats the simplest answer. :cool:
Try doing some research before posting your "theories".

:p Thats great!

I will just go ahead and apologize, Im a bit lifted...

I doubt it.
Mantids are known for being strictly serious. They do not fool around.
What probably happened is, the live mantids went and performed CPR on the drowning ones. That way they can eat them. (remember mantids only eat live prey)
Thats the simplest answer. :cool:
Try doing some research before posting your "theories".

:p Thats great!

I will just go ahead and apologize, Im a bit lifted...

Lmao..."lifted"..Good one! Maybe those mantids were REALLY "lifted" and good the munchies! lol

I hatched some babies from some ootheca I bought from one of the forum vendors. They were soooo cute! But I hated messing with the fruit flies to feed them - I wanted to have them grow bigger for my bigger chameleon, but lost patience and fed them to my baby Cham (perfect for that size Cham). I'd love to hear of your progress with yours. I was lucky enough to videotape an ootheca hatching! It was so cool. I should post the video on here.

I hatched some babies from some ootheca I bought from one of the forum vendors. They were soooo cute! But I hated messing with the fruit flies to feed them - I wanted to have them grow bigger for my bigger chameleon, but lost patience and fed them to my baby Cham (perfect for that size Cham). I'd love to hear of your progress with yours. I was lucky enough to videotape an ootheca hatching! It was so cool. I should post the video on here.

Would love to see since we didn't get to see ours.

I can see this ending badly. My wife is going to find some in our bed and my easy life as I know it will be over:p I'm still going to feed them off and get plenty of video before that happens

If I was your wife, I would be like... OO honey look! the mantid babies are in the bed! arent they cool?!? so cute.. can we keep it??? do we have to feed them off!?!?!

HAHA.

they live through the summer and die when it gets cold in the wild. In captivity, they tend to live for about a year more or less depending on care and species.

I finally got my video uploaded to You Tube of baby mantids hatching. I started a thread in general photography.

Don't forget to mist ootheca daily! Some of mine hatched super fast for some reason - couple weeks. Then right before throwing out the last one, it exploded! That's the video I just posted.

I raise a lot of mantids. I started raising mantids about a year ago and am up to 15 species. I decided to get a chameleon as I already had a dubia colony for feeders. Tonight I hung a couple of Sphodromantis "Blue Flash" oothecae in my cham cage. It will get plenty of misting and warmth for hatching. I'll just hatch them in the cage, throw in fruit flies, and see how long they'll last. My baby veileds turn their noses up to most feeders, but when presented with a mantis, it's history.

Back
Top Bottom