Maybe Sick Chameleon

Reganold

So i go home today and found my chameleon laying on a leaf. just laying not standing. his eyes were open and when offered a cricket he happily took it. should i be worried or am i over reacting?

Maybe he is just tired today, everyone has an off day. Is he too cold? If not, I wouldn't worry unless this continues for many more days.....good luck

his basking temp was 80 degrees. he is 5ish months old. i had hes basking temp at 95 degrees which i learned was way too hot for a youngster. could the change be affecting him? also i have a solar glo 125 watt bulb which i also learned loses its uvb output quickly. i hav been giving calcium with d3 once every 4 days as i was told the younger ones got most of their calcium from the light. which i learned is probably doing close to nothing and is pretty much an expensive basking bulb. https://www.chameleonforums.com/super-frustrated-99637/ thats a link to my rage.

that doesn't sound like anything to worry about. They will lay around during the day. As long as his eyes were not closed, he is fine.

chameleons are very worrisome for some reason. More than any pet I have ever owned! The more you read and learn stuff on here the more you look for things to go wrong!!! It is crazy!!!!

What specific supplements are you using and how often for each? Do you use a UVB light without any plastic or glass between it and the chameleon?

What specific supplements are you using and how often for each? Do you use a UVB light without any plastic or glass between it and the chameleon?

zoo med repti calcium with d3 once before feeding every 4 days
also there is no plastic or glass in between

Calcium, D3, phos and vitamin A are all players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon and need to be in balance....so supplementing and feeding/gutloading the insects is important.

Since most of the insects we use as feeders have a poor ratio of calcium to phos its important to dust at most feedings with a phos - free calcium powder.

Since the chameleons should produce the D3 required to use that calcium in their systems through their exposure to the UVB we usually just dust twice a month with a phos - free calcium / D3 powder to ensure they get some without overdoing it. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues but D3 produced from exposure to the UVB should not build up in the system as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it as it wants to.

I also use a vitamin powder twice a month that has a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources are converted as needed to vitamin A while prEformed sources are ready to go and can build up. It's not known for sure if all or any chameleons can convert the prOformed or not so some people use a vitamin powder with a prEformed source initial once in a while.

Temperature also is important since they need to be warm enough to digest their food properly.

If this resting on the branches is done frequently it can be an indication of MBD..but there should be other indications as well.
Can you post a photo please?

Calcium, D3, phos and vitamin A are all players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon and need to be in balance....so supplementing and feeding/gutloading the insects is important.

Since most of the insects we use as feeders have a poor ratio of calcium to phos its important to dust at most feedings with a phos - free calcium powder.

Since the chameleons should produce the D3 required to use that calcium in their systems through their exposure to the UVB we usually just dust twice a month with a phos - free calcium / D3 powder to ensure they get some without overdoing it. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues but D3 produced from exposure to the UVB should not build up in the system as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it as it wants to.

I also use a vitamin powder twice a month that has a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources are converted as needed to vitamin A while prEformed sources are ready to go and can build up. It's not known for sure if all or any chameleons can convert the prOformed or not so some people use a vitamin powder with a prEformed source initial once in a while.

Temperature also is important since they need to be warm enough to digest their food properly.

If this resting on the branches is done frequently it can be an indication of MBD..but there should be other indications as well.
Can you post a photo please?

absolutely.

No apparent signs of MBD. Hopefully it isn't...and if you make sure you husbandry (temps supplementing gutloading etc) is good he will be good too.

No apparent signs of MBD. Hopefully it isn't...and if you make sure you husbandry (temps supplementing gutloading etc) is good he will be good too.

im thinking he was just tired because he was active and well after he chased crickets for a bit. thinking he was just feeling lazy lol. am going to pick up regular calcium and multivitamin tomorrow. what vitamin do you recommend?

I use report-call herptivite....but I'm sure there are others out there that are good too.

When he walks around doing something he hold his body up off the branches??

I use report-call herptivite....but I'm sure there are others out there that are good too.

When he walks around doing something he hold his body up off the branches??

yep. he was just chillin apparently. he just likes me to worry i think :rolleyes: everything is back to normal now.

Back
Top Bottom