Meet Grimlock!

Reed7786

Hello everyone, I've had him for a little while now but wanted to get up some information and see how I'm doing, and also start a thread to show some pictures of his final cage set up I've been working on for some time!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled, 1.5 yr (Told by person I got him from, they had since a baby), I've had him since January.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Not often, he's not the biggest fan of me so far lol! I've been trying to clean his cage real good weekly/bi-weekly so I usually get him on a stick and in a smaller cage. I did put him on a fake tree last time and in the shower while I cleaned.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
So far Crickets/Dubais/Superworms/Hornworms/Mealworms. I've started a small Dubai colony, need more but my GF is not a fan at all, so its a slow process! He likes crickets as thats what the previous owner fed mostly. Worms I alternate in when I have them. I feed him every other day, 5-6 crickets or 3-4 Dubai or 7-8 Superworms. When I had Hornworms he'd eat 2. I feed the crickets/Dubais, cricket crack, Collard Greens or Mustard Greens, Oranges, Sweet potatoe, and then maybe random veggies from dinner.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Think all ReptiCal, Calcium no D3, every feeding. Calcium w/D3 once ever other week, and Multivitamin rotates with the D3.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Seen him drink maybe once, white urate though. I mist 2-3 times a day, and he has a dripper going. **Also the people I got him from always used a dish, so I currently have the dripper ending in a dish, and this is what I've seen him drink from, I think he's just used to it after a year or more with them. Going forward I'm trying to get him to stop, but right now just clean that daily.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
I've never taken him to a vet yet, hopefully find one by me and get a checkup this year sometime. Brown, white urate. Vary in size and usually dry by the time I get home from work and see.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Previous owner did pretty good, but wasn't quite doing everything correct. Just fed crickets from the store and never gutloaded, and I think they used Calcium w/D3 most of the time, also there UVB bulb had the plastic cover still on so I know that blocks a lot. His arms look good and straight though. Weigth wise I think I measured him around 145g, so I'm trying to get a bit more weight on, but overall hes doing good. Also he doesn't like me to much, I'm pretty tall and can't get him up high enough yet, so he slowly hides when I come in the room. His new cage is taller then me finally, so should help soon!

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Right now, 18x18x36 Reptibreeze. New cage can be seen below, roughly 3.5 times the area of current.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
12/12, Reptisun 5.0 UVB 18", 100 watt heat light. (I'm in MI, and winter was cold and hard to keep basking up!!) New cage I have a 36" LYR fixture in the box waiting to get mounted!!
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Again MI Winter, but I can get basking to around 83, I measure about 2 inches away from where he sits so its probably just a bit higher for him. 68-70 middle of cage. 65 during the night in our house for winter. Digital thermometers currently, getting a laser thermometer soon.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
This has been a struggle! Lately I think I've found the magic recipe and seem to keep around 60-65%. I have a warm mist humidifier on 24hr, and mist/dripper. Digital Hydrometer at middle of cage.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have a golden pothos vine, and the names escaping me now. I did check the safe list before I got it and it was on the list. Large leafs that open slits in them to let light thru to the bottom ones.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
In the back office, least traveled room in the house. Not near any vents, we have baseboard. Lots of windows opposite side of the room for a nice view. I would say its about 6'3" to the top of his cage so just a bit above me. His new cage tops out at 7'!
Location - Where are you geographically located?
Oxford, MI

No problems currently, just a check and any input welcome!
Thanks,
Kyle

Attachments

• Grimlock_1.jpg
    Grimlock_1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 300
  • GrimLock_2.jpg
    GrimLock_2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 326
  • Grimlock_3.jpg
    Grimlock_3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 242
The Cage!

I've done numerous designs over the few years I've been working on getting my cham, and finally settled on one and pulled the trigger. Its a corner designed cage, and its glorious!

Basic Dimensions: 84" Tall x 36" back sides, 24" door with 14" front side screens. Live area is 54" tall, with 24" cabinet space for my drain/water system and also storage.

Layout: The 2 rear walls are plastic to assist with humidity and water retention. The 3 front openings and top will be screen for proper ventilation. All cage is constructed from modular aluminum, no rotting anything on this cage! Bottom removable stainless steel screen frame for placing my plants on.

I'm finishing up my DIY rain system, which I will post pictures of when I assemble. I'm working this week to hopefully get everything finished and Grimlock in his cage over the weekend.

The drain system, I'm using a standard household drain and working on a filter to run that water though and might just make my whole water system a loop. Once I get the drain installed, I'm going to heat my acrylic and add a taper to the center drain.

I have a 36" quad LYR light fixture already at home, can't wait to get it turned on; the fixture looks amazing!

You can see Grimlocks current cage next to and now inside his new fortress! Its about 3.5x the area of his current one!

Let me know what you think! I've been having way to much fun doing all the DIY stuff, so any input is welcome. I was going to get a mist system and then just went DIY for everything, its my engineering sickness taking over as usual!

Enjoy, and more pictures to come!

Attachments

• Grimlock_cage1.jpg
    Grimlock_cage1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Grimlock_cage2.jpg
    Grimlock_cage2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 260
  • grimlock_cage_3.jpg
    grimlock_cage_3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 248
Yes! What a great design.

Did you build this, on your own? Or, was this from a cage supplier?

Either way, it looks fantastic!

Yes! What a great design.

Did you build this, on your own? Or, was this from a cage supplier?

Either way, it looks fantastic!

I assembled it and sent them CAD models of my design. Basically the front main piece, 2 back panels, and top screen support all came in pieces. I originally was planning a wood one, and have modeled all my designs in ProE, but then my dad mentioned modular aluminum and away we went. A vendor we know supplied the material and built up the cage at their shop, then broke it down for shipping. It uses the modular aluminum that many people use in shops/prototype/fixture, industrial industry. They loved working on this though and I could be able to sell the cages down the road if anyone would be interested in a similar set up.

I could be able to sell the cages down the road if anyone would be interested in a similar set up.

Po$t what you figure out will work and see if you and others can meet in the market. There are definitely shoppers for nice big cages out here in the internets... From what I can see you've made a really nice set up.

I assembled it and sent them CAD models of my design. Basically the front main piece, 2 back panels, and top screen support all came in pieces. I originally was planning a wood one, and have modeled all my designs in ProE, but then my dad mentioned modular aluminum and away we went. A vendor we know supplied the material and built up the cage at their shop, then broke it down for shipping. It uses the modular aluminum that many people use in shops/prototype/fixture, industrial industry. They loved working on this though and I could be able to sell the cages down the road if anyone would be interested in a similar set up.

I would be interested to know what it would cost, if offered for sale.

As I said, this is a great design! You've got a future as a lizard architect! :D

Thanks, I'm trying to get it all finished up and Grimlock moved in later this week. I've been waiting on screens to come in for the front. I'll upload my build up soon, I've been working on my DIY Rain System and Drain/Filter set up.

Wow, so I never posted any updates to the cage! Its been quite awhile now and Grimlock loves his cage! Here are some photo's over the last year!

Attachments

• IMAG0027[1].jpg
    IMAG0027[1].jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG0031[1].jpg
    IMAG0031[1].jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0029[1].jpg
    IMAG0029[1].jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMAG0154[1].jpg
    IMAG0154[1].jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG0155[1].jpg
    IMAG0155[1].jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 233
  • IMAG0225[1].jpg
    IMAG0225[1].jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMAG0235[1].jpg
    IMAG0235[1].jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMAG0319[1].jpg
    IMAG0319[1].jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0323[1].jpg
    IMAG0323[1].jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMAG0324[1].jpg
    IMAG0324[1].jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 182
I also created a new feeder container for Grimlock the other day that you guys might like! I also made the cricket one from the site with the cheese container, that one works quite well for the crickets, but I wanted something larger that I could trick some roaches into moving around every once in awhile for some food. So I came up with this thing, works great! I've been adding a piece of fruit to the center mesh and it brings all the bugs crawling up and into the open for Grimlock!

Attachments

• IMAG0498[1].jpg
    IMAG0498[1].jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG0495[1].jpg
    IMAG0495[1].jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 194
  • IMAG0496[1].jpg
    IMAG0496[1].jpg
    167 KB · Views: 226
I also created a new feeder container for Grimlock the other day that you guys might like! I also made the cricket one from the site with the cheese container, that one works quite well for the crickets, but I wanted something larger that I could trick some roaches into moving around every once in awhile for some food. So I came up with this thing, works great! I've been adding a piece of fruit to the center mesh and it brings all the bugs crawling up and into the open for Grimlock!

You are essentially reptile Jesus. 17/10. Absolutely amazing work that you have done! With regards to the feeder, I am working on a layout for a cricket feeder similar to this that can be 3D printed for those who have access to one. I work as a student assistant in the IT department at my school, so I get a few extra privileges others may not. I was thinking essentially doing just what you have done with the screen and bottom trays, just all in one very light weight piece for the chamys :)

I'm super interested... please let us know the cost. It's very nice!

You are essentially reptile Jesus. 17/10. Absolutely amazing work that you have done! With regards to the feeder, I am working on a layout for a cricket feeder similar to this that can be 3D printed for those who have access to one. I work as a student assistant in the IT department at my school, so I get a few extra privileges others may not. I was thinking essentially doing just what you have done with the screen and bottom trays, just all in one very light weight piece for the chamys :)

Lucky, I've been looking at 3D printers for a couple years now, hoping to pull the trigger one of these days! Maybe with extra tax money...

What's the clear material you made the edges with? I like how your brain works. lol

Back
Top Bottom