Mel not doing Well

Thanks to all for the help.

The vet called today and wants to give another Baytril injection.

I am really hesitant to put him through that again until he is eating. I will do the bug juice formula but I am worried that without increasing his strength, he won't be able to bounce back from that injection again.

What do you guys think?

Thanks to all for the help.

The vet called today and wants to give another Baytril injection.

I am really hesitant to put him through that again until he is eating. I will do the bug juice formula but I am worried that without increasing his strength, he won't be able to bounce back from that injection again.

What do you guys think?

After going through what I did with my melleri, I would not do another shot right now. Chameleons have a very slow metabolism and I think we as humans want to fix the problem right now instead of having patience. I doubt Mel will not make it "because" he didn't have the shot. IMHO, Mel would probably just appreciate lots of hydration and warmth. I don't think I would worry about food at this point but I would difinetly give him some Pedialyte. I used a needleless syringe and just dripped it in Lola's mouth. You want to make sure Mel swallows so you don't get it into his airway. If you can, do this several times a day alternating with water. I really hope the best for you and Mel.

Mel's color is looking good and he is moving around a bit.

The eye ointment (vetropolycin) that the vet gave us to apply is keeping him from seeing (and eating). I think I will discontinue for a few days to try and get him hunting again.

The vet said to use a cotton ball to remove excess ointment if necessary.

Is that correct?

I don't want to get strands of cotton ball in his eyes.

Mel's color is looking good and he is moving around a bit.

The eye ointment (vetropolycin) that the vet gave us to apply is keeping him from seeing (and eating). I think I will discontinue for a few days to try and get him hunting again.

The vet said to use a cotton ball to remove excess ointment if necessary.

Is that correct?

I don't want to get strands of cotton ball in his eyes.

You are correct, I would not use cotton balls. Use a soft paper towel or wash cloth. I'm so glad Mel is doing better, keep us updated.

Here is how he is spending his days right now.

th_Chameleon052.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Chameleon051.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't like to second guess a vet, but I'm not sure I understand just what the Baytril is being used to treat. The gray necrotic area on his crest probably won't be affected by any antibiotics at this point unless there are signs of spread or infection around the edges of the area. I have used Silvadene on melleri necrotic areas to keep them protected until the tissue sloughed away on its own. The antibiotic eye ointment hopefully will deal with the eye problem. Frankly, if Mel was handling the Baytril well he would have bounced back from the first dose by now. I think I would pass.

To reset: I took Mel to the vet on Tuesday because he had crusty eyes that inhibited his ability to hunt/eat and he had (and still has) grayish looking areas on his crest that were spreading. Also he looked really dehydrated.

He received a Baytril injection for the infected areas and he also received fluids and vitamin injections, and they tube fed him.

He didn't respond well to the injections and I thought he wasn't going to make it through that first night. Even the vet said that in their experience, chams are fragile and most of time don't make it.

We kept him warm and wet and luckily he made it through the night.

Now, the vet wants me to bring him back for another Baytril injection but I don't think he is strong enough to endure another treatment. I would consider another tube feeding and possibly fluids, if he doesn't start eat by this upcoming Monday.

Now I just want to get him back eating.

OK We are trying to Force Feed Mel.

We mixed Dubias. crix, carrots, spinach, Pedialyte, Ensure Plus, Egg Yolk, Liquid calcium capsule. We sifted and syringed the liquids.

Now we are struggling to get his mouth open.

Check the pics and tell me where we can improve.

th_WetIngredients.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_DryIngredients2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Dryingredients1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_WetMix1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Siftingthebits.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_CopyofForcefeeding1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_Melmirror3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mel looks good, I think you made the right choice and are doing the right things. I wouldn't go too heavy on the food right now and make sure his poops look right. You don't want to end up with another problem. Please keep us posted.

[...]Bu even easier is a fairly new product called Carnivore Care, I forget who puts it out, threw the bag away, but i believe you can only get it at the vets office. ...

The bug juice idea is good. Carnivore care however is not something I would ever recommend for a chameleon (which is not a carnivore).

That bug juice recipe really worked well to get liquids and nutrients into him.

We were a little worried about the process of oral force feeding with the plastic injector, but it was pretty easy and Mel has exhibited quick and dramatic improvement following the feeding.

I encourage anyone with chams that are weak and not actively feeding, for whatever reason, to use that recipe to help get their little friends on going again.

Back
Top Bottom