Mister Filtering Idea

Anybody use like an inline activated carbon filter? That's kind of what I'm leaning towards.

Anybody use like an inline activated carbon filter? That's kind of what I'm leaning towards.

Do you mean in-line as in between your reservoir and your pump? If so something like the one I linked earlier would work perfectly, the pipes it's supplied with, and therefore all fittings on it are 1/4" so fit the mister pipes, and it's an activated carbon filter, as well as a few other filter mediums. I'd guess you'd get one similar in the states, if not that one.

Dave

Do you mean in-line as in between your reservoir and your pump? If so something like the one I linked earlier would work perfectly, the pipes it's supplied with, and therefore all fittings on it are 1/4" so fit the mister pipes, and it's an activated carbon filter, as well as a few other filter mediums. I'd guess you'd get one similar in the states, if not that one.

Dave
Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking. Your link was what gave me the idea. I'm looking for one between the pump and reservoir and that I could easily replace the actual filter instead of the canister and filter. Also instead of puttin it on my sink just have it specifically for my mister. He's the one who needs the clean water! :)

He's the one who needs the clean water! :)

I love this statement. The guys at the water shop always say I must really like the water the way I go through it and always telling them I don't touch the stuff. water is for fish and Chams

I'm in Cornwall, my Dads family are all in Sheffield and the surrounding areas, and that quote may not speak for all yorkshiremen.......but maybe most LOL!

Dave
The Steel City eh?..... Bunch of wussies over in Sheff........ I agree though, all sweeping generalisations (with the possible exception of this one) are false :D

Ok, So here is my attempt at a well researched reply.

I think we can all agree that distilled water is not a proper choice so I will focus on RO water.

First, the RO membrane does strip the water of most trace minerals, leaving an almost pure water. One molecule that is smaller than water and can pass through the RO membrane is chlorine. The carbon cartridge that the water goes through prior to entering the section with the membrane is intended to remove chlorine. If this cartridge is not maintained or replaced it can go out and the chlorine will get through. Therefore, you end up with chlorinated, acidic, mineral free water.

I am sure you can deduce some of the issues with this. First, we are trying to get rid of chlorine so you need to be sure your carbon filter is good and if possible use a test kit to check periodically. Second the acidic RO water devoid of minerals travels through the body, not only does it not offer any trace minerals, but it can actually leech minerals from the body and stress the kidneys.

RO water will also not offer the minerals needed for plant growth. Plants do not grow as well with this type of water.

When RO water is used for fish tanks there are generally minerals added back in to the water to create a stable environment for the fish and plants.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=842

Here are a couple internet source I was able to find to link, but some of the articles I have read were in journals or magazines and I cant find them right now.

http://www.allaboutwater.org/reverse-osmosis.html

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-health/amphibian-health/bloated-herp-water-problems.aspx (The title is about herps, even though it talks mostly about amphibians) This is also focused on distilled water.

I wish I had more information to offer right now, but I am out of time. What I really want to stress is that we should all do our own research and decide what we think is best for our own situation. Don't just take everything you hear or read as absolute truth without looking further in to it and deciding what makes sense to you. The most important part is that you make an educated choice.

Believe it or not this water issue is huge right now and there are various arguments and discussions about whether RO water is good for humans to drink as well.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking. Your link was what gave me the idea. I'm looking for one between the pump and reservoir and that I could easily replace the actual filter instead of the canister and filter. Also instead of puttin it on my sink just have it specifically for my mister. He's the one who needs the clean water! :)

I have mine in-line, runs from my cold water, through the wall to this filter, then from the filter into my reservoir. Then reservoir to pump. The reservoir has a toilet cistern fitting so it stays full automatically and an aquarium heater in it to warm the water.

I swap the canister every 6 months (automatically posted to me) and that's it, never touch anything on the whole system. Checked my nozzles and nozzle filters today, out of curiosity, having not touched them for 12 months+ and not a speck of gunk, build up etc. No water marks on the glass, happy reps, plants grow well, what more can I say?

Nothing I've seen anywhere else does as good a job for all round ease of use, maintenance, at such a low price, it's £14 for a new cartridge every 6 months, that's less than £2.50 a month to get clean water in 3 (soon to be 5) tropical vivs.

The canister is the filter, it unscrews from the base, take the filter out and you slot a new filter in then screw it back on......it takes about 2 minutes, simples.

Hope this helps,

Dave

The Steel City eh?..... Bunch of wussies over in Sheff........ I agree though, all sweeping generalisations (with the possible exception of this one) are false :D

Like Cornish ppl all live on pasties. False, completely false. I'm currently on a diet, so theres at least one man in cornwall NOT eating pasties...........for now anyway!!

Dave

Like Cornish ppl all live on pasties. False, completely false. I'm currently on a diet, so theres at least one man in cornwall NOT eating pasties...........for now anyway!!

Dave

You fool - I had me a good Cornish pastie only sometime last week....oh, hang on - they aren't allowed to be called Cornish anymore, right? (unless they actaully come from Cornwall) or am I making that up?
It tasted good enough anyway.....

I have mine in-line, runs from my cold water, through the wall to this filter, then from the filter into my reservoir. Then reservoir to pump. The reservoir has a toilet cistern fitting so it stays full automatically and an aquarium heater in it to warm the water.

I swap the canister every 6 months (automatically posted to me) and that's it, never touch anything on the whole system. Checked my nozzles and nozzle filters today, out of curiosity, having not touched them for 12 months+ and not a speck of gunk, build up etc. No water marks on the glass, happy reps, plants grow well, what more can I say?

Nothing I've seen anywhere else does as good a job for all round ease of use, maintenance, at such a low price, it's £14 for a new cartridge every 6 months, that's less than £2.50 a month to get clean water in 3 (soon to be 5) tropical vivs.

The canister is the filter, it unscrews from the base, take the filter out and you slot a new filter in then screw it back on......it takes about 2 minutes, simples.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Wow. Now that's a setup!

rain is distilled water........... ;)

If you are supplementing your chameleons diet with all the right supplements of vitamins and minerals, your chameleon will be just fine on RO or distilled water.

I have only used RO water on my chameleons for the last three years or so and have not see any issues. Just be sure to have a supplement schedule.

_MG_7005.jpg

If you are supplementing your chameleons diet with all the right supplements of vitamins and minerals, your chameleon will be just fine on RO or distilled water.

I have only used RO water on my chameleons for the last three years or so and have not see any issues. Just be sure to have a supplement schedule.

_MG_7005.jpg

I remember seeing this thread ages ago and being amazed......and still am :) That's an awesome set up

Dave

_MG_7005.jpg
All I can say is wow

Back
Top Bottom