Moving a long distance

Hi everyone!
My husband got a super sudden job promotion across the country. I am in Atlanta with my panther chameleon and we would be moving to New York. I am sort of at a weird spot because 1) is it too stressful of a move to take my chameleon with me and 2) is NY even really the right place to have a chameleon? I have never rehomed any of my pets before and I love them deeply, but I am trying to get advice that would be best for Herbie. Have any of you traveled long distances with your chameleons and if I were to do this, how stressful would it be? Is it out of the question to even attempt something like this? Ive heard some people actually ship their chameleons, but honestly I'm not too comfortable with that and not sure how the timing of everything would work out. What is the general consensus here? :(

Hi everyone!
My husband got a super sudden job promotion across the country. I am in Atlanta with my panther chameleon and we would be moving to New York. I am sort of at a weird spot because 1) is it too stressful of a move to take my chameleon with me and 2) is NY even really the right place to have a chameleon? I have never rehomed any of my pets before and I love them deeply, but I am trying to get advice that would be best for Herbie. Have any of you traveled long distances with your chameleons and if I were to do this, how stressful would it be? Is it out of the question to even attempt something like this? Ive heard some people actually ship their chameleons, but honestly I'm not too comfortable with that and not sure how the timing of everything would work out. What is the general consensus here? :(
I also want to add that Herbie is possibly in the beginning stages of renal failure (sorry should have mentioned why I was this nervous to travel with him), so he's not really in the best conditions for something stressful

@Beman haven't you moved states with a chameleon before? Any feedback you could share with Herbiethechameleon?
Yep... With Beman 3 years ago. It took 3 days and was one of the most stressful trips ever... I had to put him in a temp cage when we got here because our stuff was delayed. So that made it even worse. So I highly recommend taking the cage and everything with you if you can. I could not because it would not fit in the car with the other animals and people. I moved him in a dark storage bin with holes for airflow and a branch hooked through the plastic at the bottom. He slept during the day and then each night I would take him into a bathroom (away from our dogs) open his bin and let him move around and mist down his bin and the pothos in it for him to drink. I did not feed him on the trip.

As far as NY is concerned, I bought Hunter from a Breeder in NY. Here is his info if you need to get the lay of the land, vets, etc.. Markschameleons.com 914-874-9777

Back
Top Bottom