My cham wont eat?

Andrew27

I have a 1.5 year old female Jackson chameleon. She hasnt been eating lately. She drinks like normal though. However, I have noticed all my reps arent eating much. Is it just because of winter? And also, I am always good at using the right amount of calcium and D3. I have awesome UV bulbs and a monsoon hooked up. All screen enclosure too. I will admit, for some time i havent been gutloading my feeders. I recently bought King Kricket Feast which is highly recommended. However, She was eating on and off for several weeks now. But now I cant really get the gutload in her because she isnt hungry. Ive gutloaded her feeders before though, just not recently. Any advice?

What feeders are you using? Could she be bored with same feeders? Could she be gravid? They go off eating when about to lay I believe.:)

No, she did this before and obviously no babies. She was captive bred. She may be bored with my feeders because all Ive been feeding are crickets and occasionally dubias.

Some reptiles, like Bearded Dragons go into a period of inactivity and not eating much if anything.
Chams don't do this, though.
Sometimes we believe we're doing everything that our chams need because we are following the advice we were given "to the letter" but if the advice was incorrect or incomplete, then our chams still aren't getting exactly what they need.
Petstores have given many of us that sort of advice for our chams and that's why many of us are so grateful to have stumbled upon this forum.
The more info about her care that we have, the better the quality our recommendations will be.
If you cut and paste the questions and fill in all the answers from this link, then you should get the best answers to help her:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Kricket Feast is that made by Chamalot Chameleons?

Some reptiles, like Bearded Dragons go into a period of inactivity and not eating much if anything.
Chams don't do this, though.
Sometimes we believe we're doing everything that our chams need because we are following the advice we were given "to the letter" but if the advice was incorrect or incomplete, then our chams still aren't getting exactly what they need.
Petstores have given many of us that sort of advice for our chams and that's why many of us are so grateful to have stumbled upon this forum.
The more info about her care that we have, the better the quality our recommendations will be.
If you cut and paste the questions and fill in all the answers from this link, then you should get the best answers to help her:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Kricket Feast is that made by Chamalot Chameleons?

Yes, the Kricket Feast is by Chamalot Chameleons. Here is the help questionnaire:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - About 18 month old Jackson Chameleon. She is a female, and has been in my care for 6 months.

Handling - I almost never handle my chameleon.

Feeding - I feed her normally dubias and crickets. Well lately, I haven't been feeding her regular schedule. I try once every few days, and recently she hasn't been taking food. I normally feed her every other day as much as she can eat which is usually 3- insects. It used to be more when she was younger. I have gutloaded with King Kricket Feats by Chamalot Chameleons before, but recently I have not gutloaded. I want to get the gutloaded insects in her but she won't eat!

Supplements - I use regular, plain calcium by calstron once every other feeding about. I use Reptivite with vitamin D3 about 1 time a month.

Watering - I see my chameleon drink every day. I have a "Big Dripper" by Zoo Med which I fill with tap water, and I use an Exo Terra Monsoon automatic misting system which I put distilled water in. She usually drinks from the dripper.

Fecal Description - I have never tested this chameleon for parasites. I am worried that my chameleon will get way too stressed by going to the vet and die, because she gets extremely stressed very easily. Her fecals are pretty hard and brown, the urates are white or a little yelowish.

History - I know she was at a reliable pet store before I had her, The pet store is only local and I trust it. To be honest, I do not know where it was before that because I never asked.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - The cage is a Reptibreeze 18x18x36. It is completely screen.

Lighting - Lights are on from 7:30 A.M., until 9:30 P.M. My house is freezing, so I use two heat bulbs, a 100 watt and a 90 watt. I know this seems extreme, but my temps are normal. For UVB I use reptiglo by exo terra, a 5.0 and a 2.0.

Temperature - My basking spot is around 80-85 degrees. The middle is about 70-75, and the bottom stays in the high 60's. She usually stays near the top. At night, it says about 60-65 degrees. I use 2 zoo med digital thermometers and one regular analog thermometer.
Humidity - It stays about 70%. I use an analog hygrometer.

Plants - I use mostly fake plants from pet stores. I use one live pothos plant.

Placement - My chameleon is in my bedroom where it is very peaceful, just me walking in and out all day. It is away from windows and other reptiles and such. The top of the cage is 5 feet tall.

Location - Central Connecticut

Current Problem - My chameleon isn't eating much. I want to get some good gutload in her, but she won't get the gutload, or her calcium supplements unless she eats. This has been going on for a few weeks. I tried cup feeding, hand feeding, tong feeding, free roam feeding, I just cant get her to eat. I do not count cricket for cricket, but the number of insects in the cage looks the same when I come back after feeding her. I need help!

Back
Top Bottom