My Enclosure

Kitty

I am curious as to how well my enclosure is set up. I know I have a few things wrong going on, and that's why I'm here-because I want to fix that. Here is the chameleon information sheet:

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

- Female Jackson's Chameleon. I'm not sure on the age. I've had her since December 06th, 2008. She's 9 inches long, tail and all.

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

- I try to handle her as less as possible now. Once she got used to my presence I started trying to hold her. She didn't mind, she still doesn't, really. She's a sweetie, loves my hair.

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

- I'm feeding her mostly crickets and superworms here and there. As many as she will eat each day. The crickets get Orange Cube by Flukers. I know I'm sucking at gutloading right now, and probably her diet.

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

- HerpCare cricket dust by Mardel(It does have D3 in it). I've been using it everytime I get crickets, but only apply once. When I get crickets I buy them about 20 or so at a time and dust them all. Then feed her as needed.

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

- I used to just mist her, or leave the mister on the top of the cage slightly open. I got a little dripper for her to use and she loves it.

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

- Light to dark brown fecal matter and stark white urates. She has never been tested for parasites.

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

- I'm sure some of you know miss Emmie got sick a little under a year ago. Lethargic and skinny, nursed her back to health and took her to the vet. The vet said she was the best looking one he's ever seen in his facility. I have yet to take her to a houstonian doctor though.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
It's an all screen/mesh cage. It's an ExoTerra Explorarium 18"x 24"

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Solar Glo - 125W with a Flukers Sun Dome Clamp Lamp
8am - 7pm

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

- Cage floor is coolest around 70ºF. Cage top (where she basks) is about 78-80ºF. Lowest overnight temperature is around 68ºF.

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

At the moment I do not have one, I need to pick one up when I get paid. But I attempt to make as much humidity as possible through water and heat.

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

- Only plastic plants at the moment. About 4-5 different plumps of them along the sides and the two bendable jungle vines I have.

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

- The cage is in a spacious closet. There are no vents, fans or people going in and out of this closet. It's on the floor with a bag to catch water underneath it.

* Location - Where are you geographically located?

- Houston, TX

Your cage seems small for a jackson's. My 8 inch from head to tail panther is currently in an 18x18x36 cage. An explorarium is really only good for sunning adventures - not as a full time chameleon enclosure.

Are you using a UVB meter.... why do I even ask? you probably are not- they are expensive. SolarGlo is very very powerful, you may be overdoing it with the UVB.

Most people recommend separate heating and UVB.

Your supplementation is bad. you are overdoing the D3. Purchase pure calcium powder w/o d3, Calcium powder w/d3, and a multivitamin.

Besides supplementation powders, A spray bottle, and thermometer you will want to make sure you most if not all of the supplies on the following list.

CHAMELEON CHECKLIST​

Zoo Med 50 watt Halogen Heat Bulb
$11.99 each

$11.99

24 x 24 x 48 inch Aluminum Screen Cage
$79.00 each
Screen Cage Trim Color: Black

$79.00

24" fluorescent hood fixture
$26.99 each

$26.99

Zoo Med 18" Repti Sun 5.0 UVB bulb
$17.99 each

$17.99

Zoo Med regular black ceramic clip lamp
$12.99 each

$12.99

Exo Terra Jungle Vine Small
$5.99 each

$11.98

72 Inch tropical vine
$3.99 each

$7.98

Mini water dripper
$4.85 each

$4.85
Checkout
Printable page for money order
Continue shopping
Subtotal $173.77
Tax TBD
Shipping $19.95
Total $193.72

I think its a good start, but there are a few things that should probably be changed, in a hurry...

idk much about the UVB your using, but im faily sure its too powerful, 125W is alot and you could be cooking your little guy. A Reptisun 5.0 setup is around $35 and i dont think anyone on here has ever had a problem with their 5.0.

a full set if dust can be had from LLL for ~$15. You need Calcium with D3 6 days a week and with D3 or Multivitamin the last day of the week, alternating weeks. Search dusting schedule and youll get plenty of answers.

for a thermo, Flukers has a dual thermo/hygro for like $12 that i use in all my 3 cham cages and all 12 tubs in my snake rack. I have checked everyone with my infrared heat gun and they are all spot on.

How do you water your crickets? a little bit of romain lettuce or Kale or shredded carrots in the cricket cages could never hurt either.

and im just making sure you mist her, along with the dripper, right?

Sounds like you have a real good setup started, just needs a touch of tweeking

Well, the bulb is about 5-6" from the top, it feels barely hot in the cage right below where the light is.

My crickets drink water from towel pillows.

Along with the dripper, I do have a mister I am misting her with. I also shower her weekly (even up to a few days a week).

Get a repti sun 5.0 soon as possible. Also get a household 25-40watt bulb for heat. Use a clip on heat dome. You don't want to be using a bulb that strong during houston summers you will cook her with that setup. I lost a female jackson that was gravid in just 2 hrs of outside basking time. She was in great shape too. :confused: They can cook and go down quickly, especially the montane species like jacksons.

Back
Top Bottom