My female veiled is changing color. What is the meaning of this?

Wergdgn

My girl is now around 9 months old. In the last two weeks she has changed colors from a pale green to a more complex pattern. Here are some photos of Mingus:

1727293006336.png
1727293006349.png
1727293006364.png

This pattern is kind of permanent, she shows darker colors when excited or stressed, and somewhat lighter during rest, but the pattern remains. She is not turning back to her pale green colors, only when she sleeps. She has also been somewhat restless, moving a lot inside her cage in the top of the branches. She is not constantly exploring the understory. Previously she liked to stay in a branch most of the day. She is also accepting less food. Previously I was feeding her with 12 feeders (mainly crickets and small dubia or runner roaches) each day, now she barely accepts 6. Are those their adult colors? Is she showing sexual receptiveness? Or is she looking a place to lay eggs? Should I start to feed her less items? I've already installed an egg laying bin just in case, but I don't know if it would be time to give her more privacy to lay eggs. How can I feed her during the egg laying period without disturbing her?

I also want to show you a graph of Mingus' growth in the last months under this feeding regime. She weighted 94 grams on September 22nd. Until August I was feeding her 8 feeders. Then I increased to 12. Does she has a healthy weight?

1727293006372.png

Thanks a lot for you attention and good advice.

I hope all your chameleons are doing great!

Beautiful little lady! 🥰 It sounds like she is receptive right now…that is what her restlessness is. She is all prettied up and looking for a cute boy. If you don’t already have a lay bin in her enclosure, now is the time. I’m afraid she’s probably been forming a large amount of eggs with how much you’ve been feeding her. I don’t believe you want to reduce her food at this point as I think the number of follicles/eggs has already been determined and she’ll need the resources to properly form and lay them. @kinyonga do I have this correct?
Also, make sure your supplements are perfect - phosphorus free calcium without D3 lightly dusted at every feeding. A source of multivitamin and D3 given one feeding every other week (or twice a month). This can be thru a combination product like Repashy calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3. Or you could do them separately- a calcium with D3 given on the 1st and 14th and a multivitamin given on the 7th and 21st. Whichever way is easiest for you, as long as she’s getting the correct supplements.
This can be a stressful time, especially since this will be her first clutch. We’re here to help and support. 💗

Beautiful little lady! 🥰 It sounds like she is receptive right now…that is what her restlessness is. She is all prettied up and looking for a cute boy. If you don’t already have a lay bin in her enclosure, now is the time. I’m afraid she’s probably been forming a large amount of eggs with how much you’ve been feeding her. I don’t believe you want to reduce her food at this point as I think the number of follicles/eggs has already been determined and she’ll need the resources to properly form and lay them. @kinyonga do I have this correct?
Also, make sure your supplements are perfect - phosphorus free calcium without D3 lightly dusted at every feeding. A source of multivitamin and D3 given one feeding every other week (or twice a month). This can be thru a combination product like Repashy calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3. Or you could do them separately- a calcium with D3 given on the 1st and 14th and a multivitamin given on the 7th and 21st. Whichever way is easiest for you, as long as she’s getting the correct supplements.
This can be a stressful time, especially since this will be her first clutch. We’re here to help and support. 💗
Thanks a lot @MissSkittles! I let you know how it goes. What would be the final adult healthy weight for her and when could she reach it?

Thanks a lot @MissSkittles! I let you know how it goes. What would be the final adult healthy weight for her and when could she reach it?
She’s probably already reached her adult weight or close to it. Of course, each chameleon will be their own ‘normal’, but my girls non-gravid weights were around 80 Gm. That did change though…weights went up and then back down. I follow the regimen to reduce laying and my one girl didn’t lay for 3 years and my other girl is working on meeting that.

Back
Top Bottom