:( My first bad experience w/crickets.

you can feed them mulberry leaves and bell peppers, it will just make them grow slower
you can also experiment with other greens such as dandelion greens, collard greens, turnip greens, etc. I am pretty sure they would rather eat that than nothing. besides they are not as picky as silkworms

don't buy a cricket keeper
they are way too overpriced and can kill
the crickets too

just get a small rubbermaid container
cut a large hole on the top and one of the sides
and hot glue gun screen (preferably one that crickets wont be able too chew through) on the holes
there you have and efficient cheap cricket transporter
Unfortunately I don't have a real supply of mullberry leaves around here. I will have to look around. I'll check into the rubbermaid container.. I love small craft projects like that... :cool:

by the way why are you bying locally??
can you not buy online?? It is WAY cheaper
Yes, I am. I can't really purchase online, I've tried to before and I'm just not good at keeping anything other than roaches.. unfortunately no one local to me would want to go halves.

I just went to Wal-Mart a few weeks back and bought a Sterilite tub for $4.50 and my pops also bought a 10Gal tank for like $10 at petco, we order about 1000 crickets at a time from LLL, and split them up into those. Strange enough, the ones we put in the Sterilite tub (its a red tub) grow bigger than the ones we raise in the 10 gal tank.

I just keep my crickets in a 29g tall aquarium with a appropriately sized screen top.
Then leave that container in the bathroom in a shower tub we never use.
The odd escape cricket can't climb out of the tub.

The smell itself I can only tell when it's a stinky batch of crickets, I can actually tell which supplier provided the crickets based on the smell at this point (yes, I agree, that's rather disgusting. I'm not overly proud of this :eek:)

Wow, that sucks! 70 crickets gone just like that. Reminds me that I'm almost out of crickets myself.

I saw some hornworms on some tomatoe plants we're growing out in the yard a couple weeks ago, but they were too big to feed my little 3 month old cham. I'm gonna look for any eggs on the leaves and try to hatch them that way. Seems like a good snack for him, I can tell that he's getting tired of eating crickets all the time.

Wow, that sucks! 70 crickets gone just like that. Reminds me that I'm almost out of crickets myself.

I saw some hornworms on some tomatoe plants we're growing out in the yard a couple weeks ago, but they were too big to feed my little 3 month old cham. I'm gonna look for any eggs on the leaves and try to hatch them that way. Seems like a good snack for him, I can tell that he's getting tired of eating crickets all the time.

I heard the ones fresh off tomato plants have toxins in them, good thing you didn't feed them to you cham.

just do the same thing you are going to do with the
cricket transporter with a bigger container

I keep my crickets in a rubbermaid container with
screen in the front and screen on the top.
And my die off rate has significantly dropped since I made the change

Most people dont know that when a cricket dies it
releases a gas that will kill the other crickets if the
container is not properly ventilated.

Stick insects breed fast but you gotta wait 6 months for them to hatch. Dont worry Sabrina Ill hook you up when I send out your isopods

The key thing there is properly vented container.
You never see the cataclysmic die off when a few crickets flop over then if they were in something sealed.

I just keep my crickets in a 29g tall aquarium with a appropriately sized screen top.
Then leave that container in the bathroom in a shower tub we never use.
The odd escape cricket can't climb out of the tub.

The smell itself I can only tell when it's a stinky batch of crickets, I can actually tell which supplier provided the crickets based on the smell at this point (yes, I agree, that's rather disgusting. I'm not overly proud of this :eek:)
I wish I had a spare bathtub that I never used! :p I will probably try something similar to this. I have a 50 gallon I'm not using but it has a hole I sealed up and resulted in me having to seal it up.. crickets can climb on that. :(

Be careful when you do that. As stated tomato leaves are toxic to chameleons.

That is way too cool information. That has been stored in my data bank. :cool:
Stick insects breed fast but you gotta wait 6 months for them to hatch. Dont worry Sabrina Ill hook you up when I send out your isopods
I am giddy with excitement! :D

Poor dead food

I had the same experience and ended up just looking on craigslist for a cracked or used fish tank then I cleaned it out and its a 40 gallon for only $20 which was well worth it now my crickets are live and well.. ANyone know where to buy the walking sticks? I have not tried them before but if they breed well and stay quiet and not too smelly then I'm in.

I use a clear Steralite container and just leave the lid open. I don't have problems with escapees at all. I did not cut it and install screen. A little cricket crack and some water gel or fresh papaya and they grow like weeds. Coldbloods has excellent crickets and great prices. Clean out the dead ones every week and they stay fat and healthy. 1000 last a while. If not, split them with a cham buddy.

I heard the ones fresh off tomato plants have toxins in them, good thing you didn't feed them to you cham.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually read this a couple days after I had found the hornworms so it's actually a good thing that I was not able to feed them to little Tony.

I was planning on taking the eggs hatching them then feeding them different non-toxic leaves so that they would be safe for my little chameleon.

Cleaning the crickets is the worst for me I guess. :x

Try to find a cheap shop vacuum. Seriously, that'll change your cricket cleaning life!.
Just suck up all the poop and anything dead. Wipe a bit, Done!

Try to find a cheap shop vacuum. Seriously, that'll change your cricket cleaning life!.
Just suck up all the poop and anything dead. Wipe a bit, Done!
As well as other cleaning life... :D

Have any brand suggestions? I've been meaning to look into a shop vac.

Back
Top Bottom