My male chamelon lying on the ground :/

caroooo

I just came back from work and I found my Dexter lying on the ground.. I tried to pick him up but he went straight ahead and hide under a leafy branch in the corner so I cant reach him. I am pretty concerned as he never did that before.

I have all the right set up; many branches to climb, accessibility to water, good food, right temp/humidity, heat and UVB bulb.. I dont understand as yesterday he was fine and as usual when I opened the terrarium he went straight towards me..

Please help, is my Dexter ok? :(:unsure:

Make sure to fill out the "How to ask for help" in the Health section, sheet so members can maybe help you out better knowing more

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon, about 5-6 month old. He has been in our family for about a month
  • Handling - I handle Dexter everyday, a couple of times. He loves ité
  • Feeding - I feet hin 8-10 crikets everyday when I come back home (4pm) they are fed crikets supplements, leafy greens, veggies and fruits, 1-2 wax worms a day, goliath worms 1 per 2 weeks. I also powdered with the calcium 2 times per week. Dexter will eat romana lettuce, zuchinni, apples (thhose are the ones I tried upto now)
  • Supplements - Exo-Terra calcium + D3, 2 times per week.
  • Watering - I have a custom made water fall that drips on leafs. Dexter see's it very well. I also mist twice a day for 2min.
  • Fecal Description - Dropping are light brown/browm. They seem normal. Pet store told me he was healthyé
  • History - I do not really know the history since I bought him at a pet store.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24X24X36 Exo Terra glass (screen top) terrarium, plenty of branches and vines to move around.
  • Lighting - 13W Exo Terra 100UVB bulb + zoo Med 60W daylight heat bulb
  • Temperature - Basking spot is between 80-90, middle is about 70-60. Night temps is about 50. I check them regularly.
  • Humidity - humidity is always around 60-70. The waterfall helps and misting as well. I use a hydrometer to measure the humidity
  • Plants - No live plants. Fake plastic ones.
  • Placement - Cage is located near my patio door. Terrarion is on a 40 inch high stand.
  • Location - I live in Quebec, Canada

Current Problem - I just came back from work and I found my Dexter lying on the ground.. I tried to pick him up but he went straight ahead and hide under a leafy branch in the corner so I cant reach him. I am pretty concerned as he never did that before. I also noticed yesterday that he seemed to be digging?

If you are using the WITH D3 supplement twice a week that could affect him later. You should use that once every two weeks (or twice a month), without D3 every day, and a multivitamin twice a month. That might be some of it.
I would also get some real plants. Veiled chams like mine love to nom down on some leaves every now and then.
Waterfalls are pretty, but they cause a lot of problems if not cleaned AT LEAST once a week. They are a breeding ground for bacteria.
If he was digging he is either 1.) being a weirdo or 2.) HE is actually a SHE. Could you send some pictures of his feet or legs so that we can help determine what the problem is?

If you are using the WITH D3 supplement twice a week that could affect him later. You should use that once every two weeks (or twice a month), without D3 every day, and a multivitamin twice a month. That might be some of it.
I would also get some real plants. Veiled chams like mine love to nom down on some leaves every now and then.
Waterfalls are pretty, but they cause a lot of problems if not cleaned AT LEAST once a week. They are a breeding ground for bacteria.
If he was digging he is either 1.) being a weirdo or 2.) HE is actually a SHE. Could you send some pictures of his feet or legs so that we can help determine what the problem is?
thumbnail_20170309_193120.jpg

Ok I will remove the waterfall as soon as I can and get a real plant. Any suggestion, I heard ficus plants were good?

i prefer a dwarf umbrella trees cause my experience with ficus they hardly keep leaves and are just annoying to me. but are those the spurs you are talking about? or are those the other side of his toes i can't really tell in that pic. if those are the other sides of his toes i would say you actually have a girl and she is trying to lay her eggs somewhere.

yes Ficus is good and I don't agree with the D3 only once or twice a month at all that is not enough what you are doing is fine but I would add a multi vit once to twice a month. DO NOT only give him D3 once or twice a month keep him on the schedule you have him on as well as plain calcium about 3 times a week. Umbrella plants are great as well. And yes that is a male.

i prefer a dwarf umbrella trees cause my experience with ficus they hardly keep leaves and are just annoying to me. but are those the spurs you are talking about? or are those the other side of his toes i can't really tell in that pic. if those are the other sides of his toes i would say you actually have a girl and she is trying to lay her eggs somewhere.

Ok I will look for dwarf umbrella trees, thanks :)
thumbnail_20170309_201833.jpg

yes Ficus is good and I don't agree with the D3 only once or twice a month at all that is not enough what you are doing is fine but I would add a multi vit once to twice a month. DO NOT only give him D3 once or twice a month keep him on the schedule you have him on as well as plain calcium about 3 times a week. Umbrella plants are great as well. And yes that is a male.

Thanks, I like your bluntness lol. So If I have a bottle thats is written ''calcium + D3 supplement'' I should also give him plain calcium, along with multi vitamins?

First of all it is Clearly a male and second you need to go back and do more research about how much D3 they should get 2 times a month is no good.

Ok I will look for dwarf umbrella trees, thanks :)
View attachment 178047
okay for sure a boy but yeah maybe a vet visit soon as possible and bring the freshest poop you can so they can do a fecal test. do you have regular calcium without d3? if not you should get some and use it everyday. what i do actually is use repashy calcium plus everyday and it works good for me.

Back
Top Bottom