My New Panther

nosymitsio

Hey guys just some pics of my new arrival yesterday!

fe497b20.jpg

67c9b576.jpg

4c9a121f.jpg

Great panther i love the Mitsio's where was he from in the Uk? nice set up to.:)

I got him from a breeder in England Oxfordshire in the classifieds on another forum. That's just a temp set up till he's 9 months it's got five twigs going horizontal with a weeping gig in the middle for plenty of exploring also good for cover to feel secure.

I got him from a breeder in England Oxfordshire in the classifieds on another forum. That's just a temp set up till he's 9 months it's got five twigs going horizontal with a weeping gig in the middle for plenty of exploring also good for cover to feel secure.

Nice, it wont be your last mate, i think i know who you got it from, someone i know has one from him, he has some very very nice chameleons. did he have Sambava nosy be etc as well?

Very nice how old is he?

Nice, it wont be your last mate, i think i know who you got it from, someone i know has one from him, he has some very very nice chameleons. did he have Sambava nosy be etc as well?

Very nice how old is he?

Yeah could be the same guy he's got a good reputation as a breeder ave seen pictures of some of his hatchlings as adults and there stunning. Eh 14 weeks I've got a 4x3x2 viv I'm going to start modifying in a month or 2 for him.

Yeah could be the same guy he's got a good reputation as a breeder ave seen pictures of some of his hatchlings as adults and there stunning. Eh 14 weeks I've got a 4x3x2 viv I'm going to start modifying in a month or 2 for him.

Sounds good mate, i would like a Mitsio they are stunning looking, i saw a adult male not long ago, very nice looking chameleons for sure.

For the sake of understanding,

what are the exact dimensions of the cage in the pictures?

im guessing (and giving a little over here) 18x18x18? perhaps 24x24x24? Measuring in inches of course.

Either way, that cage will not be suitable once the animal gets past 5-6 months, depending on growth rate.

Its an excellent baby cage, however there is no way it will last till 9 months.

at 5-6 months I would move him into a cage that is at least 18x18x36 inches.

That cage (18x18x36) can last until the animal is around a year old or so, at which point you can move him into a 24x24x48.

He is a lovely baby though, and im sure he is going to be stunning!

S.F

Thanks for the info franky yeah al keep him in that 21x18x18 till he's 6 months then move him into my 48x36x24 HxWxD but will divide the bottom half of the viv till he is past a year. Glad you said wasn't sure if that would do what do you think of the weeping fig do u think a should trim it or is plenty of hiding places are ok. My basking spot is 87 and drops to 72 at the lower end?? Any tips or help would be great as this is my frost chameleon!! Cheers guys

Thanks for the info franky yeah al keep him in that 21x18x18 till he's 6 months then move him into my 48x36x24 HxWxD but will divide the bottom half of the viv till he is past a year. Glad you said wasn't sure if that would do what do you think of the weeping fig do u think a should trim it or is plenty of hiding places are ok. My basking spot is 87 and drops to 72 at the lower end?? Any tips or help would be great as this is my frost chameleon!! Cheers guys

Ideally a baby panther should bask @ 85 F.

Its kind of the perfect mixture of heat to increase metabolism and speed digestion, while at the same time not hot enough to cause burns or dehydration.

Adult panthers can bask @ 85 F. as well, though some members choose to bump temps up to 90 F.

The bottom of the cage is 72 F? that seems a little cold, especially considering that the cage is so small. Something seems off about the heat dispersion.

For chameleons, the top of the cage is the warmest, with the bottom the coldest, with layers of gradually rising temperatures in between, this way they can thermal-regulate themselves (sp?) and remain at the exact temp the desire. Because the top is 87 F. does not mean you have the ideal setup, that is if the layers beneath are too cold, something has gone amiss in your setup. Use a probed thermometer and take measurements of the bottom, the middle, and the top of the cage.

Divide the cage into vertical thirds:

The top should be 85-87
Middle should be 80-84 (going from bottom to top)
bottom should be 75-79

Edit:

Don't be surprised if he outgrows the current cage by the time he is around 3-4 months. I would have the sectioned off 48 incher or a separate 36 incher prepared in the meantime to make the transition seamless, you would be surprised at how fast the time flies when watching the littles ones grow.

Back
Top Bottom