My panther:) Ambilobe?

mgog87

Hey i bought my cham about two months ago so if his age was accurate when sold then he should be about 8.5 months or so right now. He was sold to me by a personal breeder in oc area of ca (i think hes a member here) as a ambilobe. Anywasye i dont want to be but after seeing so many beautiful panthers i am getting dissapointed mine just isnt coloring up like an ambilobe and after waiting for years to get my panther i am sad. he also isnt a huge eater and i have everything set up perfectly for him and he drinks a lot and is growing but just not a big eater and he is about 15" head to tail tip. I just wanted an opinion on what u guys think about him and also if u think his locale was correct. i know they get full coloration after a year but is there a chance that he is just guna stay like this? he told me it was one he was keeping for himself but now i am thinking it was the one that didnt sell bcuz the others were better IDK just frustrating.
the first pic is what he looks like 90% of the time
the others are him when he gets blue or excited

Attachments

• cham4.jpg
    cham4.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 149
  • cham.jpg
    cham.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 165
  • cham2.jpg
    cham2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 186
sry for the paragraph length sentence haha makes it a little hard to read
any responses appreciated

Panthers don't finish coloring up by 8.5 months so no worries your little guy still has a ways to go... To me though he is not an ambilobe but I'm not an expert... The blues look more like a ambato... Just me

Don't be sad. I think your boy is beautiful. Chameleon's aren't fully grown and colored up until about 18 months old. I also believe the better care that you take of them the more beautiful they are. You say he's not eating well so please tell us about how you keep him by filling out the ask for help form. Maybe we'll see something there that you need to change in your husbandry.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

ive had previous threads about his care he is in a 4 ft tall cage about 2.5 wide and deep hibscus and ficus plants and appropriate sized sticks he eats every other day 2 or 3 crix and a few superworms and maybe a roach. all are very well gutloaded i would feed less superworms and more crix he just doesnt like them as much ive tried changing it but he is extremely stubborn. but i figured it is a varried diet and all all well gutloaded. i use rhapsody supplements and vitamins a few times a month and he has proper basking and spraying. ive cared for lots of chameleons and bred a few types too this is the first time anything like this has happened all my others were food machines> Idk

and on the previous threads they all said if he is growing and eating regularly then dont worry but it is just crazy for me not to see a chameleon eating more sometimes i even go 2 days w/ out food and he gets a little hungrier its just been making me a little crazy haha ive gotten him to eat from my had once he doesnt seem to stressed either he barley even puffs up at me anymore

What i realy wanted to know DO U THINK THIS IS AN AMBILOBE Just wanted to make sure u guys saw that part :p

ive had previous threads about his care he is in a 4 ft tall cage about 2.5 wide and deep hibscus and ficus plants and appropriate sized sticks he eats every other day 2 or 3 crix and a few superworms and maybe a roach. all are very well gutloaded i would feed less superworms and more crix he just doesnt like them as much ive tried changing it but he is extremely stubborn. but i figured it is a varried diet and all all well gutloaded. i use rhapsody supplements and vitamins a few times a month and he has proper basking and spraying. ive cared for lots of chameleons and bred a few types too this is the first time anything like this has happened all my others were food machines> Idk

I looked back through your 4 previous threads and they were not helpful to me to figure out if you need to change anything in the way you are keeping him. If you'll fill out the form and give as much detail as possible we can give you some helpful tip on how to keep your guy. IMO The better you gutload the feeders and the larger variety of feeders you feed, have the correct lighting and correct supplements and keeping your cham healthy and parasite free all adds up to a beautiful healthy cham.

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - panther male 8.5 mnth 3.5 mnth in my care
* Handling - almost never maybe once every other week
* Feeding - already mentioned
* Supplements - rhapsody vit and calcium a few times a month just on one or 2 feeders
* Watering - hand pump spray and he drinks everytime about 4 or so times a day
* Fecal Description - looks good black and white

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - screen 4' 2' 2'
* Lighting - reptisun 5.0 and nat sunligh whenever poss
* Temperature - from about 60 up almost 90 in basking spot but can bask at many lower levels
* Humidity - varies i spray about 5 times a day im in ca so it stays kinda humid
* Plants - live hibiscus and ficus
* Placement - i have it on a table in my room low traffic inside so he is kind of high up
* Location - so cal

A few things that can be fixed with your husbandry...

Vitamins- A steady regiment of Calcium without D3 should be given at every feeding, Calcium WITH D3 should be given about twice a month while a multivitamin should be given twice a month as well.... This ensures proper digestion, bone growth, strength, etc....

Temps- The temps should stay in a nice tropical range of 70-88... 60 seems too low for a day temp and 90's is a bit high for day as well... I would invest in a good temp gun or gauge with a probe to ensure your hitting the right range...

Humidity- Not sure where your ranges are at but again a gauge is a must to help properly maintain the proper levels

EDIT: I don't see anything about a basking lamp? How are you achieving those temps and if you do have a basking lamp how close is it to the spot where your cham basks?

i will get a supplement w/out d3 and start using it more and i am using a lamp and it is about a foot away from the branch it is aimed towards the other half of the cage is about room temperature which isnt normally 60 but can sometimes get that cold. normally it is probably upper 60s in the coldest part of the tank and i am sure he is getting misted enough. i do have about 10 years experience raising and breeding chams i know that doesnt compare to some people but i am somewhat confident that he is being cared for properly i will start to supplement better though. and i have some silkworms on the way im guna see if he is into those i sure hope he likes them i tried goliath and he would only eat them sometimes. thank you for all the help but i really was interested if this was an ambilobe??

ive never seen an ambilobe get almost solid blue like that...i would say ambanja or a cross...did you get any info when you bought him?

i guess not enough i was told he was an ambilobe and that he was 6.5 months i still have the guys email i might send him a email. these are supposidly the male and father of the female he came from i dont see how he could end up like this>

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 91
its still quite possible that he is an ambilobe, he looks nothing like his gene pool but he still has coloring up to do...its also possible that he sent you the wrong cham...just contact him and see, maybe he can provide pictures of siblings

I would recommend you start another thread and ask what local he is. I'm definitely not an expert but I think he could be an Ambilobe.

I would recommend you start another thread and ask what local he is. I'm definitely not an expert but I think he could be an Ambilobe.

he started this one..asking what local the chameleon was.....why would he start another?! o.o

well...if I had to guess....id say he is an ambanja..ive never seen an ambilobe with so much blue...but...that doesnt rule out the possibility. im far from an expert.. x.x

jose has some great lines. i had a baby of the second pic you showed here.

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

0de652c1.jpg

these pics were at 11 months. Tranquillo I believe is the sires name. i think you have an ambilobe, they all turn out so different.

he started this one..asking what local the chameleon was.....why would he start another?! o.o

well...if I had to guess....id say he is an ambanja..ive never seen an ambilobe with so much blue...but...that doesnt rule out the possibility. im far from an expert.. x.x

I took it as if he were sad and disappointed because he wasn't colorful and not eating well and wanted to make sure he was ok. Plus if he starts a new thread "What Local am I" more of the members that might know will look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom