my side of the mountain

naich

so i read this book and im pretty much about to read the sequel....its about a small boy who lives in the catskill mountains for around a year...five stars in my opinion.

so any read it??? what do you think?

also im 14 and in june im hiking there and i plan to live oof the land for a day or two....just trout and berries!

well my dad will be there and ill probably crave in and eat some stew or sleep n the tent.lol

but whats everyones view on the book???

I give that book a read probably ever year as it is one of my favorites.

It is a very nice book, however keep in mind that the book is a non fiction, can you do all the things that the boy did in the book? I would guess probably, however im sure an internet jockey/city boy like most of us are would do much better in a pop tent and an ice chest full o goodness. That is not to say that I have not wanted to try it myself though, living off the land. Aw the good ol’ days!

The movie isn't to bad either, it's been a while since I have read the book though. I have always wanted to try what he did, but the closest I've ever come is backpacking in Denali for 10 days with 2 friends.

I think I vaguely remember reading it many years ago (or something like it), boy goes to live with grandfather in the mountains?...was a nice story from memory.

Amazing book. I read it again a couple of years ago at 20, and I still thought highly of it. I'm a big fan of those adventure/survival stories. Not sure if you're looking for other reading, but Hatchet is good. I think it's about the same reading level.

i love that book! i first read it in third grade and id a book report, and now i do a book report on it every year and i am now in 8th grade almost high school :)

I remember it now.

Sam Gribley is terribly unhappy living in New York City with his family, so he runs away to the Catskill Mountains to live in the woods — all by himself. With only a penknife, a ball of cord, forty dollars, and some flint and steel, he intends to survive on his own. Sam learns about courage, danger, and independence during his year in the wilderness, a year that changes his life forever.

From memory it was a trilogy. Good book for todays playstation/wii couch potatoe kids!

That is one of my favorite books. You should also read "Into The Wild" and watch the movie version as well.

Funny this subject should come up, but I am selling pretty much everything that I have and investing in two nice horses and taking off across the country.

It is called Long Riding and I explain why I am doing this here.

I will be posting chameleons and misc equipment for sale in the next week or so; I am still gathering my thoughts and deciding what goes.

Sorry to derail, but I am sure that anyone who reads "My Side of the Mountain" would be interested in something like this.

Here is a good story about a Long Rider. http://www.thelongridersguild.com/Vision01.htm

That is one of my favorite books. You should also read "Into The Wild" and watch the movie version as well.

Funny this subject should come up, but I am selling pretty much everything that I have and investing in two nice horses and taking off across the country.

It is called Long Riding and I explain why I am doing this here.

I will be posting chameleons and misc equipment for sale in the next week or so; I am still gathering my thoughts and deciding what goes.

Sorry to derail, but I am sure that anyone who reads "My Side of the Mountain" would be interested in something like this.

Here is a good story about a Long Rider. http://www.thelongridersguild.com/Vision01.htm

The only problem with "Into the Wild" is that he didn't know how to survive, good book, but not quite the same kind of story.

A great book that is similar is "One Man's Wilderness" by Sam Keith. It's not about a young boy, but I think it's even better than "My Side of the Mountain"

Another good one if this is your kind of reading is "3 Among the Wolves" by Helen Thayer. It's about a couple and their wolf/dog mix that liveamong a wolf pack for a year.

I think I'll have to check out the link you just posted Kenya.

The only problem with "Into the Wild" is that he didn't know how to survive, good book, but not quite the same kind of story.

A great book that is similar is "One Man's Wilderness" by Sam Keith. It's not about a young boy, but I think it's even better than "My Side of the Mountain"

Another good one if this is your kind of reading is "3 Among the Wolves" by Helen Thayer. It's about a couple and their wolf/dog mix that liveamong a wolf pack for a year.

I think I'll have to check out the link you just posted Kenya.

I will check those books out.

I still like "Into the Wild" because of the spirit behind it. I think a lot of adventurous spirit is lost in society now. It is painful. Kids aren't curious anymore, the imagination is squealched out of them, adults become drones and slaves to their possessions. I don't like it. Our culture is based off of "big, bigger, better, best" and having the latest. It is based off of superficial ideals and pretty much nothing of substance to back it up. It is all media. I don't agree with it, so I don't want to be a part of it anymore.

Good for you Kenya!

I had the opportunity to do something similar when I was 22 and never had the guts to do it. I made too many excuses...not enough money, my horse was not suited to long distance, having to reinvest in a different saddle, middle of University...blah...blah! Now that I am in my late 30's I really regret that I didn't take the plunge.

Do it....you will never regret it and if you make it down Cali way look me up, my horse is retired but I would love to join you for a part of the journey even if it is only a day or so :)

I suppose one good thing about getting older is that I have gotten more more adventurous :rolleyes:

Good for you Kenya!

I had the opportunity to do something similar when I was 22 and never had the guts to do it. I made too many excuses...not enough money, my horse was not suited to long distance, having to reinvest in a different saddle, middle of University...blah...blah! Now that I am in my late 30's I really regret that I didn't take the plunge.

Do it....you will never regret it and if you make it down Cali way look me up, my horse is retired but I would love to join you for a part of the journey even if it is only a day or so :)

I suppose one good thing about getting older is that I have gotten more more adventurous :rolleyes:

Absolutely. I would like to meet as many people as I can on the trip. I will be updating my blog as I go and will still be somewhat active on the forums. Right now I am preparing to sell off my stuff and buy my horses...and then, lots of training.

It will be interesting.

Maybe I should make my own thread.

Sorry for the hijack! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom