my veild chameleon is dying

rango2010

It starTed a few days ago I noticed He was a really bright green and blue like he was mad or excited. So I started to keep a closer eye on him. He hasn't been eating well the past two days, and now he is laying on the bottom of the cage like having Seizures. I have had him over a year he is 1 and a half years old . He is in a screened cage with a heat lamp 1 120 uvb bulb 1 100 watt daylight build and 150 leds daylight bulb I feed him crickets and mill worms dusted with repti calcium twice a week he eats maybe 6-8 crickets a day along with a few mill worms. I gut load the crickets with zillo cricket drink. He has a dripper and I spray him three times daily for at least 2 mins help please if I left something out just ask also he is like Gasping For air

Attachments

• 1448844137259.jpg
    1448844137259.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 1,738
  • 1448844346489.jpg
    1448844346489.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 376
It starTed a few days ago I noticed He was a really bright green and blue like he was mad or excited. So I started to keep a closer eye on him. He hasn't been eating well the past two days, and now he is laying on the bottom of the cage like having Seizures. I have had him over a year he is 1 and a half years old . He is in a screened cage with a heat lamp 1 120 uvb bulb 1 100 watt daylight build and 150 leds daylight bulb I feed him crickets and mill worms dusted with repti calcium twice a week he eats maybe 6-8 crickets a day along with a few mill worms. I gut load the crickets with zillo cricket drink. He has a dripper and I spray him three times daily for at least 2 mins help please if I left something out just ask also he is like Gasping For air

Since the vet is closed now, I would recommend putting him in the bathroom. Turning on the shower full blast with just hot water to heat the bathroom and make it humid with the door shut. His eyes look dark which is a sign of dehydration. I would try to get him to drink drops of water ASAP from a syringe. I feel so bad for you right now.

Not sure if a luke water bath will help him for about 10 minutes then. Also you can put some bottled water and mix it with baby food 1:1 ratio and fee with a syringe if he has not been eating.

The lights seem like that would be too bright also. I am not an expert. I have only had my baby veiled chameleon for 3 1/2 months, so I am still learning. I am sure they will tell you to fill out a sheet with all the husbandry info on it too after you tend to you baby.

I'm going to try the shower now I will keep u updated. I tried to put most of the info in.the post so I could get a fast response. I'm going to try to feed him after and water him with a dropper. Thank you very much for ur replies

Awe poor little guy, I hope it works out for you. I'd try calling an emergency vet if you have the chance, if the shower method doesn't work.

Unfortunately without an emergency vet I don't think he'll make it. You should be dusting with a calcium without(!) D3 every day, dusting with(!) a D3 calcium twice a month, and dusting with a multivitimin about once or twice a month. How long ago did you change your uvb? Many people recommend the long tube lights instead of the coiled bulbs. They should be replaced about every 6-8 months.

But try getting some water in him (without drowning him) and call a vet asap.

I've been through 5 uvb in the past year due to my heat lamp over heating my uvb light I have a uvb tester it says I have high uvb output, I've never heard of dusting everytime u feed him, but yes I agree I do not think he will make it through the night 8(. It's just just so crazy he was climbing around this morning. What u are getting at Is MBD right?

I would just leave him be, maybe lay him on a towel and hold him. He appears to be dying and showering him, force feeding him or bathing him in water is not going to help at his point. His eyes are sinking not from dhydration but because he is going down. Sorry to be negative, but I have seen this many times and when they are laying on their sides with their mouth open, it is near the end

Did you notice anything wrong with him this morning? Chams are so fragile, try to get him to a vet in the morning. I'd contact an emergency vet now, if you cannot bring him I'd ask for advice and tell them about your situation.

Yes, unfortunately he just passed away as I was trying to find a exotic vet opened today. Thank you guys. I really just want to know what I did wrong because I've put a lot of time and money into him I loved that lil guy

Sorry for your loss, not sure if it was the cause but supplementation is tricky with Chams. Calcium with no D is needed at basically every feeding with crickets, some other feeders have higher Ca ratios. Multivitamin and Cal with D3 alternating once a week, depending on natural sunlight exposure. They are sensitive animals, a necropsy could shed some light into what went wrong. If your up to it there are basics on how to do your own at home I know I've seen articles about it posted here on the forum. A reptile vet likely would be able to find some indicators of what went wrong if you wanted a professional necropsy done.

Oh yeah I forgot about this the only thing I've done different is feed him some super worms idk if that would do this but ... idk I I'm just confused. And thank u guanagator I always thought gut loading helped with that

Dont be hard on yourself. The vet would not have been able to do anything. Like I said, when they get to the point where they are laying down, eyes sunken, and tongue out, it is over.

Back
Top Bottom