My Veiled Came Today!

heterochromia

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D YAAAAAAAAAAY
I woke up (late, I'm sick) to my sister handing me the box & then got out the little baby. Now that I have her, I am wondering if anyone has any tips of what to do/not to do on the first days. My shipper said to keep the heat light off and give them an hour to adjust before turning it on, so I did that, but kept the UVB light on. I also sprayed down the leaves, although I haven't seen her drink off of any.

I would put her in her enclosure and let her scope everything out for a while and try not to bother her too much or have too much activity going on close to her cage. :)

Congrats!!! Best thing will be to leave her alone for a couple days (minus misting, dripper and food obviously) so she can settle in and relax in her new home without something peering in at her all the time. It's the hardest thing to do, leave a new cham alone, but it's for the best.
Good luck!

Thank you everyone for the responses! I put her into her home asap. I misted her again, she hasn't been drinking anything yet so I'm a little worried. Right now she is under the basking light (about 8 in down) and her mouth is opened a little bit? I read that it is normal, but I am still worried she may be too hot. Should I turn the light off again? She is really young & I don't want the heat to be too much for her.

Thank you everyone for the responses! I put her into her home asap. I misted her again, she hasn't been drinking anything yet so I'm a little worried. Right now she is under the basking light (about 8 in down) and her mouth is opened a little bit? I read that it is normal, but I am still worried she may be too hot. Should I turn the light off again? She is really young & I don't want the heat to be too much for her.
what are your basking temps at?

How far away is the basking light from the vine/plant she is on? What are the temps at that spot, what is the wattage of the bulb? You likely wont see her drink right now. They can be shy drinkers, especially when acclimating to new surroundings so just keep the plants misted for her and check her urates when she passes them.

Weird, I suppose my phone is broke cause I don't see any pics of the newly arrived creature. :confused:

Oh and also chameleons are generally stealth drinkers you may not see them drink but every now and then. Just keep an eye on the urate to ensure it's white!

How far away is the basking light from the vine/plant she is on? What are the temps at that spot, what is the wattage of the bulb? You likely wont see her drink right now. They can be shy drinkers, especially when acclimating to new surroundings so just keep the plants misted for her and check her urates when she passes them.
it is about 8 inches down. The bulb is 100w, it is high 80s the closest to the bulb.

Weird, I suppose my phone is broke cause I don't see any pics of the newly arrived creature. :confused:

Oh and also chameleons are generally stealth drinkers you may not see them drink but every now and then. Just keep an eye on the urate to ensure it's white!
Somehow I missed your response :confused: I will definitely get pics of her later, I just wanted to give her time to settle in before I go paparazzi :LOL: I will do that, thank you!

Her mouth being open was probably her thermoregulating. It can also be a sign of respiratory issues if she makes any type of wheezing or crackling sounds with it so always keep that in the back off your mind to look out for. But in this situation it is likely just her regulating her temps :)

Sorry I'm responding so late, I had to wait for the thermometer to adjust. It is ~86 where she was, although the highest basking spot in the cage is a couple degrees higher.
I would I keep her basking spot any from 82-86 degrees. No higher than that for a female. The ambient temps through out the cage should about 70-72 degrees. This way she can thermoregulate. Once she hits about 6 months of age the temperatures will play a big part in her clutch size. Congrats on your new cham! Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom