My veiled hates misting incorrect assumption?

Jpatter123

Just curious... I assumed my veiled hated being misted like a lot of people , but I notice he takes the same posture every time. He runs under a leaf to avoid direct spray and faces head down. I also notice in this posture the moisture runs down his body and casque and are funneled into his mouth.
Sometimes the drinking action is barely perceptible. I also noticed that this has progressed as his casque has grown. When he was younger he would actively lick the moisture off the leaves like my baby panther does now. I've also notice that the veiled responds to the dripper less now, again assuming the action of taking water from leaves is against his instinct vs dew and rain being funneled along the body.
Are these observations valid ?

I think you should not spray the chameleon directly, just his surroundings. He will eventually use dripper water or lick it from leaves, no need to make him uncomfortable with direct spraying :)
regards!

I think you should not spray the chameleon directly ...no need to make him uncomfortable with direct spraying :)
regards!

I think you missed my point entirely . My observation is they don't "dislike" it ( sorry for the double negative). It just appears that way.

Just curious... I assumed my veiled hated being misted like a lot of people , but I notice he takes the same posture every time. He runs under a leaf to avoid direct spray and faces head down. I also notice in this posture the moisture runs down his body and casque and are funneled into his mouth.
Sometimes the drinking action is barely perceptible. I also noticed that this has progressed as his casque has grown. When he was younger he would actively lick the moisture off the leaves like my baby panther does now. I've also notice that the veiled responds to the dripper less now, again assuming the action of taking water from leaves is against his instinct vs dew and rain being funneled along the body.
Are these observations valid ?
I have noticed similar to this also my fem veiled reacts almost the same I never see her drink from the dripper only mistings It may just be our chams are querky this way I would think more experienced breeders would have made mention of this.

I think they often dislike the initial feeling of being hit with water, then may settle down and enjoy the misting. Try using warm water, spray all around your cham, then move up from the tail. That gives them a chance to get used to the idea that misting is happening without a sudden cold shock to the face. This technique was very successful with my Jax who just loved a good long shower but also had that "Aaah! Water! Run!" reaction when first sprayed.

[QUOTE="JGuinan007, post: 1252231, member: 41641"It may just be our chams are querky this way I would think more experienced breeders would have made mention of this.[/QUOTE]

Could be , but seems to me I saw footage of a wild high casqued species using the casque to funnel water. I happened on it one day when watching videos of capillary action in thorny Devils I think. Of course I can't locate it now.

[QUOTE="JGuinan007, post: 1252231, member: 41641"It may just be our chams are querky this way I would think more experienced breeders would have made mention of this.

Could be , but seems to me I saw footage of a wild high casqued species using the casque to funnel water. I happened on it one day when watching videos of capillary action in thorny Devils I think. Of course I can't locate it now.[/QUOTE]

Mine often drink this way, allowing it to run down their faces. Sometimes they will lick the mist out of the air, too, with their noses up in the air.

I've seen my Veiled do this under his rain nozzle. Even when I using a syringe to drip water on his nose when I first got him to make sure he was hydrated, I noticed he reacted better to me starting the drips in the little channel between his casque and eye ridge. Then it would run down between his eyes to his nose where he would drink.

my jacksons loves to be sprayed with warm water while my veiled hates being sprayed period, he like it when i spray the top of his cage and he drinks the water from there as it forms droplets. my panther likes the dripper and sometimes will drink from the side of the cage. it took me a while to figure out how to get them all to drink regularly.

Back
Top Bottom