Need advice/help please

ejab1315

So I got a chameleon on saturday. I did research on the chameleons. I have her in a screen cage. I use ice and spray several times a day. during the day the humidity
stays at about 70-80%. but I can't keep it up at night. I have all the right lights. what should I do? and also I have a big bowl at the bottom to catch the dripping water is that bad? its my first time having a chameleon and please no rude comments. Thanx :)

Alright first of all my recommendation is get rid of the ice, some people use it but with how cold it is, its not very good with the chameleon, water is not that cold in the rainforest lol anyway the spraying is good, I would recommend also heating up the water to a luke warm so it isnt cold, and not directly spraying your chameleon. Did you happen to get a reptibreeze cage? If you have the option, like many other people do, put a bin underneath for drainage and drill holes in the false bottom to get the drainage going. Next you do not need a night light for them, it is better that they have a good amount of darkness like we do at night to help them sleep. Last, I would take the bowl out and create some drainage, the water at the bottom will create bacteria and what many people refer to on the forum as a "Bacteria breeding ground" which is not good for any animal as you know. Hope this helps you! and dont worry you will be addicted soon! lol :D

Hey ejab. Welcome to the forums!

Pics of your setup would be awesome. I would highly recommend removing the water bowl. If you can't remove the bowl for some reason you should cover with a screen so your chameleon can't fall in it and drown. Be sure to remove the water daily as it can become a breeding ground for bacteria.

They don't recognize standing water/water bowl as a source of water from which they can drink. I've seen people recommend against using ice because of the extreme temperature difference. Room temperature water or slightly above is recommended.

Ideally you should keep it humid but my chams are ok with 40% humidity at night and 60-80% during the day.

There is a thread on How to ask for help I would post a link for you but I'm on my phone
If you fill this out it will help a lot when asking for help/advice

Isa my veiled- my boyfriend made the cage for me. But I worry if I take the ice away the humidity wont stay where it needs to be and as of right now we dont have money a humidifier thing. I was told to use the nite bulb cause it gets cold in our room.i thought it needed to be a certain temp. At nite? Ya I love lizards we already have 2 beardies and a ball python.we just keep addin on :) oh and the cage is homemade with screen on front n sides but back has hard plastic on it
Lausnordah- ill try to put one up im new to this. :)

Isa my veiled- my boyfriend made the cage for me. But I worry if I take the ice away the humidity wont stay where it needs to be and as of right now we dont have money a humidifier thing. I was told to use the nite bulb cause it gets cold in our room.i thought it needed to be a certain temp. At nite? Ya I love lizards we already have 2 beardies and a ball python.we just keep addin on :) oh and the cage is homemade with screen on front n sides but back has hard plastic on it
Lausnordah- ill try to put one up im new to this. :)

Yeah take the ice away :D just make sure you keep up the misting. and honestly if you can afford it, I would buy an auto mister before a reptifogger or anything like that. What kind of chameleon do you have? A good temp drop is normal. I have my Veiled in my basement and she is perfectly fine. Yeah I have 3 Beardies, 6 leopard geckos, my Veiled and a crestie :) lol all of which get lights out at the end of the night so having that temp drop is fine.

Yeah take the ice away :D just make sure you keep up the misting. and honestly if you can afford it, I would buy an auto mister before a reptifogger or anything like that. What kind of chameleon do you have? A good temp drop is normal. I have my Veiled in my basement and she is perfectly fine. Yeah I have 3 Beardies, 6 leopard geckos, my Veiled and a crestie :) lol all of which get lights out at the end of the night so having that temp drop is fine.

Ok thanx and I have a veiled. How much r auto misters?

Yeah like Eliza said if it does happen to drop that much go ahead and do something like a ceramic emmiter. It will help a lot

Sry.....so if the temp drops or the humidity? My temp. Bout 75-80 degrees but the humidity drops down to bout 20/30%.i always try to spray her cage real good before I sleep.

Sry.....so if the temp drops or the humidity? My temp. Bout 75-80 degrees but the humidity drops down to bout 20/30%.i always try to spray her cage real good before I sleep.

Yeah a lot of members say not to spray before that because it will just sit there all night because the lights are not on to dry the cage out, you always want to let the cage dry between mistings. oh and to answer your question about misting systems, they can run from anywhere between $80-$300 lol the mist-king that everybody raves about is $100.00 for the basic model which is fantastic.

Another option for holding the humidity is to screen the back and sides using plastic sheeting/shower curtain. If your room temps are dropping too low, you could try putting a ceramic heater in there for night time. Also, do you have live plants or fake? Live plants will help a lot with humidity, whereas fake plants tend to dry out a lot faster. Definately dont mist before lights out, It can lead to problems.

100% cover that bowl your using to catch water, I saw a thread not so long back where a guys Cham had fallen into an open water bowl and drowned. An unfortunate ending for something as beautiful as these guys, and certainly avoidable.

Back
Top Bottom