Need bulbs for plants

Ninkylou

So living in the Pacific Northwest at this time of year offers challenges for lighting to keep plants doing well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for lights that I can use in addition to my typical UVB / heat etc to give the plants in my enclosures the wavelenths they need that are still cham safe. Ideally I would like to be able to use a regular household fixture, was thinking of one of those floor lamps with multiple heads.

I see a number of full spectrum CFLs but was not sure if the issues regarding cham eyes and CFLs holds true for all or just the UVB.

Any input would be awesome. My jade plant is struggling and now its starting to get to cold to live it natural light on the balcony.

I have 3 full spectrum lights on top of my enclosure in addition to two UVB and a heat source. I have the UVB over two of Omar's favorite hang out spots and the full spectrum over his ficus and another in the back corner to light the bottom plants. The ficus gives him plenty of spots to get out of the light if he wants to but for the most part he likes his lights. I have a medium hood that holds 3 bulbs and one single and one double dome.

6500k for vegetative growth (daylight bulb)
6000k or less is best fir flowering. The 12on12off light schedule will cause your plants to flower. Plants can only flower for so long without aditional nutrients.... An organic fertilizer will work, but keep in mind that if allowed your feeders could eat the fertilized pieces soil and indirectly be consumed by your cham which typically results in over supplementation of minerals.
The soft white or warm white are what you are looking for.

The optimal distance for plants that require medium to high light is 6" or less.
For low light plants having them within a foot of the top leaves is acceptable, but you really want the lights as close as possible without potentially burning your cham.

If you can, order a t5ho for your set up, they produce the most lumens with the lowest heat.

The cfl burning chams eyes and skin with extraterrestrial uv radiation was true at one time, however is now more of a rumor than the truth

Has anyone had success with exo-terras natural light bulbs that advertise them stimulating plant growth? I have a 13w over my live plants...I just repotted them so their still in shock and loosing some leaves...hoping they wont die.

Back
Top Bottom