Need Help With Supplementaion.

PrettyInInk87

Ok, I have read and read and READ on how to dust my Cham's feeders and so fourth but I REALLY just don't understand it. I have 2 containers with powders but it's just reallyconfusing to me. Here is what I have...

I have the Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamins and Sticky Tongue Farms Calcium/Mineral Supplement for Indoor Reptiles Phosphorous free with Vitamin D3.

How exactly do I use these 2. How often do I dust feeders with each of these and do I need to mix the 2 at all or just alternate. :confused:

u need calcium with out d3. have to look around at petstores or buy online. i saw it at petco but not petsmart. dust with the non d3 everytime, use the one with d3 one day, say a saturday, next saturday use the multivitamin, next sat back to calcium with d3. all other times use calcium with no d3.. get it?

Oh ok, thank you! That makes a lot of sense... I just suck at all of the vitamin, multi vitamin, d3 d4 and 5. Lol! I guess that is why I failed my Phamacology part of my test in school. Lol!:)

you can order the Sticky Tongue Farms Mineral Outdoor use (calcium without d3) on line at LLL Reptile if you cannot find it locally. And the other member gave you the correct dusting schedule for all three.

Theres a green label Rep-Cal Calcium W/O (without) D3, http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...d-cage-cleaners/-/rep-cal-calcium-without-d3/

You need this to dust your crickets daily.

Many people will have different dusting schedules but mine is

4 days Rep-Cal Calcium with out D3
2 days Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-All OUTDOOR formula
1 day Herptivite

The following week will be the same exept I replace the one day of Herptivite with Rep-cal calcium WITH D3, the Pink one.

My schedule isn't ALWAYS like that, but I tend to make it that way often. You might wanna try Cricket Crack aswell, to feed the crickets with.

I have to go to LLL and return one of my light bulbs since I grabbed the wrong size and I will make sure and pick up the mineral stuff without D3. Thank you guys! I took my little dude outside to bask for about an hour in the morning and as soon as the sun starts going down later, i'm going to take him out for a bit longer. The sun is beating down pretty hard right now, got me a TAN! :D

I get my cham outside every day for sun. Some days he is out there most of the day only if I am home though. I have a nice outdoor cage.

I tried to stay out longer but I noticed he started "gaping" so I hurried up and brought him back inside. It looks like the son is calming down a bit, I think I might pick up an extra ficus to keep outside so that I don't have to take his out and then put back in. I stay with him because there are cats everywhere and also I live in an apartment with no backyard or front yard, we live on the 2 floor, so I sit at the top of the steps with him.:D Ahhh, i'm so in love! :D

What would the symptoms be of overdosing the vitamins? Of course extreme would be dehydration and death but are there other symptoms that are noticable well before that?

Generally vitamin D3 and prEformed vitamin A are the two that can cause problems.

hypervitaminosis D...too much D3, especially with extra calcium can result in organ damage. Calcification of tissues can also occur along with gout. It can also present itself with symptoms similar to MBD.

Hypervitaminosis A...excess prEformed vitamin A may interfere with the D3 metabolism/calcium and result in MBD. It can also result in organ toxicity...and then gout from that.

Here are some good articles...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...rnals.com/vet/index.php?show=5.Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060421.../index.php?show=6.Vitamin.D3.and.Calcium.html

Ok, I have read and read and READ on how to dust my Cham's feeders and so fourth but I REALLY just don't understand it. I have 2 containers with powders but it's just reallyconfusing to me. Here is what I have...

I have the Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamins and Sticky Tongue Farms Calcium/Mineral Supplement for Indoor Reptiles Phosphorous free with Vitamin D3.

How exactly do I use these 2. How often do I dust feeders with each of these and do I need to mix the 2 at all or just alternate. :confused:

You may find this blog entry useful:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html

I know it seems everyones got a different opinion on supplement but do you guys use less d3 if the chameleon spends some time outside and more if it doesn't?

That's generally what is done. I'm not a vet and not sure if it has to be, but IMHO its usually best to do what is natural. In my mind though, I would expect that if you do give it a bit of D3 when its outside, it might just not produce so much from its exposure to sunlight. However...this should be discussed/studied further to be sure....since I don't know if this would apply to all species and since we really don't know how much would be enough without overdoing it when the chameleon is outside.

Back
Top Bottom