Need Help!

That is a very good sign that he ate. Even better if he keeps doing it again and learns that a little tug on the chin equals grubbin's! So happy for you.

Jordan, could you fill out this form with as much detail as you can? Anything you aren't sure of just say so. I figure this thread has a bit more info than your other one, for people following your story. Which is a wonderful story! You're doing really well by him, and you are willing to make changes, which says a helluva lot about you!

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? im told he is 4 or five years old.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? i handle him often, but he seems no different if i dont.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i drop water into his mouth daily and so far was able to force him to eat three meal worms. thats it..
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i have some powdered vitamin that was sent to me. dont know the brand though.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i am misting every few hours, but the water seems to build up at the bottom of the tank. i hope tha the screen cage will remedy this.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? have seen any feces yet
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. was perfectly healthy cham until a few weeks ago i am told. owner did not want to deal with the struggle of hand feeding

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? temporarily in a 30 gal glass aquarium. got a 65 gal. screen on its way now
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? i have a reptisun 5.0 bulb in and a 60 watt house hold bulb. on from 7 am to 7 pm daily
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? temps range from low 90s in the basking to mid 70s in the other areas. havent had the thermometer long enough to know the overnight, but its pretty warm in the house all the time. usually around the 70s
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?my humidity is at 70 per cent. i have two humidity gauges in there, one in the basking area and one in the dark areas
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no clue as to what plant it is but its alive, some branches and fake vines in there as well.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? cage in low traffic area, the top of the cage stand right about 5 feet tall
Location - Where are you geographically located? located in northern illinois

he doesnt eat much. only eats or drinks of forced. doesnt open his eyes, using a reptile eye drop solution for that. and doesnt change color that ive noticed. i know very little about caring for these guys so i am doing my best to provide for him. just went out and got a second job so that i could afford some of the expenses.
its hard enough having two kids, two dogs, two cats and now this little guy.

lol bro no worries, have you had time to take him out into the sun for a bit? Maybe some real sunlight and the warm showers and eye drops will help with whatever is causing the eye issues. I am betting the low appetite is related to whatever that problem is.

i take him out for about an hour each day. i took him our for 2 today and showers every day. still working on it.

I really commend you for putting effort into getting this Cham healthy. I think it's terrible that the previous owner didn't give you the supplies but instead kept them for themselves. There is an eye treatment for turtles made by zoo med called repti turtle eye drops that has helped me in the past when I had one of my chams closing there eyes. http://www.petmountain.com/product/...gle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=11442-519718

Good luck with your Cham your doing a really good deed.

I may have posted this before but a member who lives close by to me took in a Veild off craigslist. Its eyes were completely closed when she got him. It took a couple of months but he slowly but surely opened his eyes and was then able to eat on his own cause he could see! He also could see her so he started gaping and hissing too! She was actually happy to see this!!!lol She hand fed him while his eyes were closed I would be suprised if you cham is really blind. Just keep working with him. She kept him outside and gave him a ton of natural sun. Get him outside every chance you get.

yeah he posted on another thread that he is actually opening one of the eyes slightly now. He is doing a great job with the limited funds/equipment on hand I think.

I am rooting for him 100%!

Added info in red
Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? im told he is 4 or five years old.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? i handle him often, but he seems no different if i dont.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? i drop water into his mouth daily and so far was able to force him to eat three meal worms. thats it..
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? i have some powdered vitamin that was sent to me. dont know the brand though. Repashy Supercal LoD dust lightly 3 times a week
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i am misting every few hours, but the water seems to build up at the bottom of the tank. i hope tha the screen cage will remedy this.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? have seen any feces yet
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. was perfectly healthy cham until a few weeks ago i am told. owner did not want to deal with the struggle of hand feeding

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? temporarily in a 30 gal glass aquarium. got a 65 gal. screen on its way nowon the way from LLL 28x16.5x30
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? i have a reptisun 5.0 bulb in and a 60 watt house hold bulb. on from 7 am to 7 pm daily
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? temps range from low 90s in the basking to mid 70s in the other areas. havent had the thermometer long enough to know the overnight, but its pretty warm in the house all the time. usually around the 70s zilla digital
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?my humidity is at 70 per cent. i have two humidity gauges in there, one in the basking area and one in the dark areaszilla digital
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no clue as to what plant it is but its alive, some branches and fake vines in there as well.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? cage in low traffic area, the top of the cage stand right about 5 feet tall
Location - Where are you geographically located? located in northern illinois

he doesnt eat much. only eats or drinks of forced. doesnt open his eyes, using a reptile eye drop solution for that. and doesnt change color that ive noticed. i know very little about caring for these guys so i am doing my best to provide for him. just went out and got a second job so that i could afford some of the expenses.
its hard enough having two kids, two dogs, two cats and now this little guy.

The guy is doing wonderful and I think we all need to let him know he is doing great. I am also happy he allowed me to send a couple of things for his cham

Last edited:
"The guy is doing wonderful and I think we all need to let him know he is doing great. I am also happy he allowed me to send a couple of things for his cham"

You rock Laurie! I have been giving him a hard time but support him all he way and the fact he got just one eye opening some shows serious dedication, and to take on a 2nd job to keep things from going upside down with his family and other pets.

Like the saying; anyone can be a dad, but it takes work to be a parent!

a friend brought over a temporary screen cage for him. i got it set up and he seems happy about it.
also a picfrom playing outside in the tree

Attachments

• zorro.JPG
    zorro.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 195
How did he like the tree? Does he move around alot or just hang out and move slowly because of his eye situation? Was just curious if having that one eye open a little has made a difference in his moving around any.

Have you tried moving your finger around that one eye when it is open and see if it follows, or hold a feeder on that side and see if he responds to it? Just wondering if he is responsive I guess.

a friend brought over a temporary screen cage for him. i got it set up and he seems happy about it.

What size cage do you have 4 him?

You said something about not having any money to buy supplies.
Keeping a cham is an expensive undertaking.
Besides the initial cage, lighting, fixtures, you need to buy and maintain more
then one kind of feeder insect, buy calcium and vitamin dust, etc, etc.

I think u are a very nice person for doing this, but I have to wonder if you will feel the same way 6 months from now.

He needs to have the proper UVB 5% or he will eventually die.

If you are not able to buy this equipment, please PM me and I will donate to you a new Reptisun tube and fixture for only the cost of shipping.

I have several of these in storage of various sizes because I switched to Arcadia equipment, just let me know ;)

I think your a really great guy, but you may not be aware of what you have gotten yourself into ;)

I would be happy to help you however I can.

psychobunny, I feel that i am aware of what i am getting myself into. i just got a second job so i can begin to afford those expenses. i have a 65 gallon cage coming in the mail thanks to some really nice people on the forum that donated to me. i have the correct lighting now and have the vitamin supplements. getting him to eat is another thing though.

Wykd, so far no reaction to any movement or feeders on the side with the parially opened eye. it really only was a sliver opened anyways, i wasnt expecting much yet. but he is slowly working towards recovery i think. i will keep everyone updated on the situation of course.
hje does like the tree, mostly just sat there pretending he was a leaf and soaking up the sun. he moved a little bit after i started misting him with the hose. (my hose has a specific misting feature)

i must say though he doesnt move around a lot until you spray the guy down. after i forced him to drink a few droppers of water though he was on the move like crazy.

here is a pic of the setup that i have now. still have the bigger cage coming in the mail, but a friend got me this one yesterday.

its not the greatest, and its held together with duct tape, but i think its a step up from the glass tank

Attachments

• DSCN0243.JPG
    DSCN0243.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0244.JPG
    DSCN0244.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 121
here is a pic of the setup that i have now. still have the bigger cage coming in the mail, but a friend got me this one yesterday.

its not the greatest, and its held together with duct tape, but i think its a step up from the glass tank

Dont use the substrate at the bottom, I know he cant see but you never know, he could eat some of it and die

Back
Top Bottom