need some answers?

thatbemegp

i just bought a female veiled 2 days ago and she's estimated to be a year old. the previous owner told me that she had mated with a male once and then another time he tried she rejected. The owner said nothing about changing colors(gravid) but she is looking pretty round. so one of my questions is how can i tell if she is pregnant?

another question is when i brought her home and put her in her new enclosure i noticed she like to stay by the basking light (75w sunglo daylight bulb). she then would start developing a dark spot on her head. i was wondering if this is normal or maybe a burn. ill attach a picutre.

any advice would be much appreciated.

thank you

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 157
Yea that looks like a burn to me. I would move the light a little bit further off the top of the cage or get a deeper housing for the light.

-chris

These are pics of my girl Mimi. First one is reg, second one is gravid. There is no mistaken them when they are. Of course, she might not have the colorations all the time. Try showing her to another male and see if she turns like the second pic. Or you can just try pulpating her stomach to see if you can feel like little jelly beans. Good luck.

th_100_0784-1.jpg
th_100_0699.jpg
Debby

For the burn, try neosporin or if you have it, the best thing to use would be Silvadine. Don't know if i spelt that correctly, but that stuff is awesome. I jsut used some on my melleri that had a burn.

Debby

She has some slight spotting on her which may indicate that she may be gravid, I don't think she is with eggs though. Then again I have some girls that will show no color signs of being non receptive, just the mouth open and gum flaring. Some go completely black with bright orange spots. Here is a few variations of my gravid girls.

Last edited:
thank you for all the advice guys.
this forum is a life saver!
ill try applying these to her.

one more question though. should i leave the basking light off for a while till her head gets better?

thanks again

depends on the wattage of the light. Try putting your hand under the light where she would bask. Chances are if it is too hot for your hand it will be too hot for her. I would say that 85-95 degrees would be sufficient.

8 inches away from the cage.

or should i move it further?

hi.
Just wondering, in the photo, her skin near the back of her leg has some kind of bumps that resembles like subcutaneous worms.
Is it just because the way she tilt her body leaving the skin wrinkled like that, or is the bumps exist pretty much every time?

If latter, i think you should have it checked for subcutaneous parasite in addition to the burn.

oh thats just the way she is tilted. but thanks for keeping an eye out.

i love these creatures. me and my friend are getting in the hobby of raising them. so far i have thisfemale veiled and a baby jackson and he has to male veileds. we use this forum for information and advice. and thank the lord for that 2

thank you everyone who has helped
=D

yes. i bought some coconut husk. 100% organic. she hasnt been digging so i dont think she is pregnant yet or have yet to explore the bottom of the cage

Back
Top Bottom