Need to be concerned?

Rmalone90

I’ve noticed the Rango keeps his left eye close often. He can still open them and look around. Is this an issue to be concerned about? * second picture is same eye open

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1
Hi! The most common reason for eye issues is incorrect UVB or supplements. What supplements and UVB do you use? If you would like us to do a full husbandry review just ask.

his UVB is on point. his its siting 3-3.2. Supplements, calcium overfeeding with bee pollen, 1st and 15 he gets multi vital with D3. Unless Im not coating his food enough with it. Yes I would like to do a review 😭

Ok here is the form. I’m not sure if you should be supplementing with bee pollen but @Beman would know more about that.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

You can overdo bee pollen. The too much of a good thing can be a bad thing applies with this. Fill out the husbandry form with detail please add pics of the entire cage with the lighting on top. So copy and paste the form into your reply to do it.

You can see this additionally when there are colored lights, vitamin A issues, when there are no misting sessions done during lights on for them to clean their eyes, and with illness. I would love to see more pics of him so I can see his over all body condition compared to his age from the husbandry form.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Vailed,
sex:male, age: maybe over 1 yo(pet store said he thinks he's 1..
How long has it been in your care?- about a month and a half
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?- hardly ever
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Dubai roaches
What amount? med-large, about 3-4
What is the schedule?every 2-3 days
How are you gut-loading your feeders? frozen cube gut load. it has collard greens, kale, sweet potato , apple, carrot, mango, Farm Charm Feed feast, and bee pollen
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? reptivite with D3 every 1st and 15th of the month, repitcal calcium overfeeding

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? fogging at night and a drip system(water bottle with a hole)
How often and how long to you mist?every morning at 6:50 am for a 1:30(10 min before lights turn on), 7:30 pm ( 30 minutes after lights turn off) and 11:50 pm for 45 second(10 min before fogger turn on
Do you see your chameleon drinking? not any more, I use to when I first got him
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.-still working on that. by the time I find it when I clean his cage it's all dried out. it look down and white( I will upload pic when I find his poop)
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no
History - I got him for a pet store. Asked if it was difficult to care for one, he said no so I got him, later to discovery its a not that easy. Had to buy all new enclosure and live plant. The pet store said if you want him to handle him you can, you will have to grab him and let him bite you a few times before you'll be "friends", that too was a lie *murry povich voice* and now here I am lol. I love me Rango even though he doesn't like me

Cage Info: Extra Large Zoo Med Reptibreeze. it is a a screen cage, made into a "hybrid" I have backdrop on two sides and shrink film on the on one.
What are the dimensions? 2x2x4

What is your daily lighting schedule? 7 am-7pm

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?
  • 24" Pangea T5 HO Fixture
  • Zoo Med 22" T5 HO 5.0
  • 50W Pangea Halogen Heat Bulb
  • Zoo Med Deep Dome
  • Vivarium Electronics 24" LED light
Temperature - What temp range have you created (basking spot)? 80-89 degrees basking, every bottom of the chafed

Lowest overnight temp? 66 degrees

How do you measure these temps? hygrometer and inferred thermometer

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? this part I am having a little bit of trouble. day time high ranges from 41%-47%, night time from 68%-73%

How are you creating and maintaining these levels? fogging at night from 12am-6 30am

What do you use to measure humidity? hygrometer

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? photos,, snake plat, can't remember the name of the other. Will include pic

Placement - Where is your cage located? in bedroom

Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no high traffic. I think the air vent might be blowing into the cage not quite sure. I noticed at night when the fogger if on can see the fog blow around when the ac cut off, but I'm not quite sure. I do have a fan on during the day to circulate the air inside the cage

At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6 ft

Location - Where are you geographically located? Phoenix Arizona

Current Problem - Has one eye closed most of the time and a new one is I found him sleeping at 4/4:30pm with his lights still on. he has never done that before

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0530.jpeg
    IMG_0530.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0531.jpeg
    IMG_0531.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0532.jpeg
    IMG_0532.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0533.jpeg
    IMG_0533.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 3
additional photos

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0535.jpeg
    IMG_0535.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 3
So first off you are doing really well. Your entire set up is on point along with your husbandry. We can rule out vitamin A or D3 issue. Only a few things I see so I am not going to go through everything because you have learned quickly how to be a keeper and are providing all the main points really well.

Current Problem - Has one eye closed most of the time and a new one is I found him sleeping at 4/4:30pm with his lights still on. he has never done that before
When you found him sleeping was this a full tail curl down in his plants? Was he fully asleep or did he open his eyes when he saw you?
How often and how long to you mist?every morning at 6:50 am for a 1:30(10 min before lights turn on), 7:30 pm ( 30 minutes after lights turn off) and 11:50 pm for 45 second(10 min before fogger turn on
Do you see your chameleon drinking? not any more, I use to when I first got him
I want you to switch up misting a bit. You do not have any misting sessions when lights are on. If he has something in that eye then he has no way to clear it currently. Do you turn your heat lamp off before all your other lights? What is the exact schedule? I want to find a way for you to add a misting session of at least 5 minutes but when temps are lower. With you being in Phoenix you will not have the worry about increasing humidity too much with an extra session. I am in Flagstaff so I know how dry our weather is in AZ.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no
This needs to be done to rule out it out. Parasites can cause all sorts of issues. Please post some more pics of him from as many angles as you can. At a year old he should be filled out and muscular so I want to see his body condition.

Yes his tail is fully curled and he is bright green.

I do not have the misters on during the day. All misting is done when lights are off.

As for the light it from 7am to 7 pm and all lights turn on and off at the same time.

I am having trouble holding high humidity at night.

I have hard time getting fresh pooo from him.

As for size I’m a little worried about it. This morning is his feeding and he only ate one large roach.

Pi’s coming soon. As soon as I can get good pictures of him

the second pic was the first time he came to me. It was not forced I move at his pace. Lately when I open his enclosure, he want to come out. I’m not sure if he’s just exploring or he’s not happy with his home

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0541.jpeg
    IMG_0541.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0543.jpeg
    IMG_0543.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0544.jpeg
    IMG_0544.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 3
Ok so he looks pretty thin especially through the limbs. The fact that the appetite is reduced is a sign of something being wrong. So a fecal test is a must. Pull the plants out that sit on the floor. this will allow for you to see the fecal when it falls. You need a real reptile vet with chameleon experience. They will want to see him when you bring in the fecal. Do not let them give vitamin shots he does not need it and these can cause more issues then good. Also no "deworming" meds. You have to get the fecal test back to determine parasite type for them to prescribe the correct medicine.

I am leaning towards illness/parasite issue causing him to close his eyes off and on.

You could delay your basking lamp to kick on an hour later. Then have a misting 15 minutes after lights kick on. This would allow for him to clean his eyes and see moving water which will trigger a drinking response. Not all veileds will drink water from leaves that is not moving. I have this issue with my boy he will only drink when his mistings happen then stops and does not drink off the leaves that have water. Hydration will be important especially if there is a parasite load that has to be medicated.

Ok so he looks pretty thin especially through the limbs. The fact that the appetite is reduced is a sign of something being wrong. So a fecal test is a must. Pull the plants out that sit on the floor. this will allow for you to see the fecal when it falls. You need a real reptile vet with chameleon experience. They will want to see him when you bring in the fecal. Do not let them give vitamin shots he does not need it and these can cause more issues then good. Also no "deworming" meds. You have to get the fecal test back to determine parasite type for them to prescribe the correct medicine.

I am leaning towards illness/parasite issue causing him to close his eyes off and on.

You could delay your basking lamp to kick on an hour later. Then have a misting 15 minutes after lights kick on. This would allow for him to clean his eyes and see moving water which will trigger a drinking response. Not all veileds will drink water from leaves that is not moving. I have this issue with my boy he will only drink when his mistings happen then stops and does not drink off the leaves that have water. Hydration will be important especially if there is a parasite load that has to be medicated.
The only thing I have not done is find a good vet. Any recommendations?

How long should I mist for and wouldn’t need to worry about the spike in humidity?

How long should I mist for and wouldn’t need to worry about the spike in humidity?
If you delay your basking lamp then the cage will not be heating up as fast. Being in AZ your climate will be able to handle a spike and that should dissipate before basking kicks on. I would run a 2-5 minute misting and see how he does with it. If he stays hiding then stick with 2 if he starts coming out and embracing the misting then do 5. he will not be used to being misted while awake so he will need a bit of time to adjust to having it.

If you delay your basking lamp then the cage will not be heating up as fast. Being in AZ your climate will be able to handle a spike and that should dissipate before basking kicks on. I would run a 2-5 minute misting and see how he does with it. If he stays hiding then stick with 2 if he starts coming out and embracing the misting then do 5. he will not be used to being misted while awake so he will need a bit of time to adjust to having it.
Do where I can start with the search for a vet?

I can’t express my gratitude for your help. I and tango thank you. If you don’t mind, can I contact you if I have any further questions?

Do where I can start with the search for a vet?

I can’t express my gratitude for your help. I and tango thank you. If you don’t mind, can I contact you if I have any further questions?
You are more than welcome too. Just know I am not as available right now as I normally am. My mom has to go back in for an emergency hip replacement tomorrow. So I will be on and off the forum but I will respond to any private messages when I get online. :)

@elizaann2 do you have the vet list you could post for this member? Thank you!

You are more than welcome too. Just know I am not as available right now as I normally am. My mom has to go back in for an emergency hip replacement tomorrow. So I will be on and off the forum but I will respond to any private messages when I get online. :)

I have the vet list so I can post it😃

Attachments

• Chameleon Forums Vet List 2024 U.S.A..pdf
    157 KB · Views: 2

I wish her a safe and speedy recovery!

Hello and welcome! Attached you'll find our vet list

Attachments

• Chameleon Forums Vet List 2024 U.S.A..pdf
    157 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom