New adoption for chameleon

mega loves worm

Hello, I am beginner in keeping chameleons, but I have experience in keeping reptiles.
I have tortoises and agamas, but is my first experience with chameleons. I just brought it back. I don't know his gender, I only know his type(chameleon chameleon).
I need to know how to take care of his food and water.
As for housing, I'm working on it.
I will keep him outside because I actually live in Morocco and have a garden and sun all year round.
I hope anyone can help me.

Attachments

• IMG_20240924_213343.jpg
    IMG_20240924_213343.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1
Hi and welcome. The very best place to learn all about chameleons and their needs is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ Even though it is mainly centered on the more popular species kept as pets, much of the care is the same.
For the quick answer to your question, chameleons eat only live prey of insects. They need to be no larger than the space between the eyes. They also need to be fed well and kept healthy so that they are nutritious. Attaching graphics for you.
For drinking, chameleons do not recognize still water as being water or a drinking source. They lap water droplets off of the leaves of the plants, so at least twice a day you’ll need to gently mist or spray the plant leaves for at least 2 minutes…usually is best right before lights on/sunup and lights off/sundown. It’s important to make sure the plants you use for them are safe and not toxic. It will be perfect if you keep him outside and he can live a more natural life and larger space. The very minimum enclosure size for a chameleon is 60x60x120 cm. You likely should give him a calcium without D3 supplement every feeding and a multivitamin once or twice a month.
It is very important to know gender of the animal as females will lay eggs even if not mated and need to be provided a decent lay bin.

IMG_0025.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg

Hi and welcome. The very best place to learn all about chameleons and their needs is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ Even though it is mainly centered on the more popular species kept as pets, much of the care is the same.
For the quick answer to your question, chameleons eat only live prey of insects. They need to be no larger than the space between the eyes. They also need to be fed well and kept healthy so that they are nutritious. Attaching graphics for you.
For drinking, chameleons do not recognize still water as being water or a drinking source. They lap water droplets off of the leaves of the plants, so at least twice a day you’ll need to gently mist or spray the plant leaves for at least 2 minutes…usually is best right before lights on/sunup and lights off/sundown. It’s important to make sure the plants you use for them are safe and not toxic. It will be perfect if you keep him outside and he can live a more natural life and larger space. The very minimum enclosure size for a chameleon is 60x60x120 cm. You likely should give him a calcium without D3 supplement every feeding and a multivitamin once or twice a month.
It is very important to know gender of the animal as females will lay eggs even if not mated and need to be provided a decent lay bin.

View attachment 359151View attachment 359152
Thank you for the information and the pictures.
I didn't know the meal worms it wasn't good for them, I gave him six worms.
How many times do I give her these worms? for the beetles is safe can I give him every day's nettle like a nettle of meal worm ?

Did you take it from the wild? I’m pretty sure they are protected and cannot be taken from the wild legally.

If it’s a female (I can’t tell from the photo), it will likely be gravid…and need a lay bin asap. They mate from about July until the end of September and lay eggs about a month after mating. (They are seasonal maters.)

I did have some here in Canada in the 90’s and have eggs and hatchlings from them. Back then they weren’t protected or endangered.

Did you take it from the wild? I’m pretty sure they are protected and cannot be taken from the wild legally.

If it’s a female (I can’t tell from the photo), it will likely be gravid…and need a lay bin asap. They mate from about July until the end of September and lay eggs about a month after mating. (They are seasonal maters.)

I did have some here in Canada in the 90’s and have eggs and hatchlings from them. Back then they weren’t protected or endangered.
He is in Morocco so I doubt the laws are similar.

In fact, I had a child who didn't care for it much, so he decided to give it to me, he told me that he had found it in a forest, so I knew that it had come from the wild.
Finally I decided to keep it and take care of it.

He is in Morocco so I doubt the laws are similar.
I know he’s in Morocco. That’s where I was meaning the laws were. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

“Mediterranean chameleon, Bell’s Dabb lizard, desert monitor lizard, African rock python and Nile crocodile — are protected under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), to which Morocco has been a party since 1975”…
https://news.mongabay.com/2017/04/r...es — the spur-thighed,been a party since 1975.

Last edited:
I know he’s in Morocco. That’s where I was meaning the laws were. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

“Mediterranean chameleon, Bell’s Dabb lizard, desert monitor lizard, African rock python and Nile crocodile — are protected under CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), to which Morocco has been a party since 1975”…
https://news.mongabay.com/2017/04/reptiles-being-sold-openly-and-illegally-in-moroccan-markets/#:~:text=Most species — the spur-thighed,been a party since 1975.
To be honest though, you will find that traders still continue to sell them.
So I will tell you what I do. The majority of my reptile production when they become large enough ,I release them into the wild in order to multiply their species. The rest of my production is for study.

Honestly, I would say to hydrate it well and release it back where it was found, or as close as possible. Even with the very best of captive care, we can’t give them all that they get in the wild. Plus, it removes that individual from the mating pools and just about all wild animal populations are struggling and can’t afford to lose even one.

You said…”The rest of my production is for study”…what are you studying in particular?

Regarding releasing them back into the wild…this needs to be done carefully too…if you don’t release it back into the exact area it came from, you can cross contaminate and wipe out the whole population of that species and even other species that live where you release it, by carrying some disease to that area that it picked up in the area where it was collected from or even from your yard/house. So…I’m not saying it’s not possible and especially in the case of an endangered species, a good thing…but it can be bad if it’s not done properly.

This might help…

You can affect the gene pool as well.

Last edited:
You said…”The rest of my production is for study”…what are you studying in particular?

Regarding releasing them back into the wild…this needs to be done carefully too…if you don’t release it back into the exact area it came from, you can cross contaminate and wipe out the whole population of that species and even other species that live where you release it, by carrying some disease to that area that it picked up in the area where it was collected from or even from your yard/house. So…I’m not saying it’s not possible and especially in the case of an endangered species, a good thing…but it can be bad if it’s not done properly.

This might help…

You can affect the gene pool as well.

For the study, I am currently studying two species.
First tetsudo graeca marokensiss is only found in Morocco. There is not much information about it and the second is bibrroni agama.
Regarding their release, all of the reptiles I produce are healthy and not sick after being released in a place where their predators are, and they are still there. After a month or more, I return to the same place in order to collect data.

You said you study bibrroni agama...there are thought to be two Clades…do you study both?

You said you study tetsudo graeca marokensiss…are they bigger or smaller than hermanni? Similar in their lives?

You said you study bibrroni agama...there are thought to be two Clades…do you study both?

You said you study tetsudo graeca marokensiss…are they bigger or smaller than hermanni? Similar in their lives?
Is bigger than hermani tetsudo graeca marokensiss can reach 25 cm.
I have never kept a hermani before, but it is certainly larger than it is for me.
I send a picture of my female, generally has this color and male looks like the second picture.

Attachments

• 1000039581-01.jpeg
    1000039581-01.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 1
  • 1454-01.jpeg
    1454-01.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom