New Baby cham NOT eating anything

ChamEden

hello I just bought a new veiled chameleon about 5 days ago. She is a baby still, but im not sure how old. I only handle her when I take her out of the cage to attempt to feed her. I have gut loaded my crickets, by feeding them the quencher and the feed, as well as dusting them with the reptocal calcium supplement with D3. I mist about 4 to 5 times a day. about 3 to 4 hours apart. I havent seen any fecals in the cage, she hasnt eaten anything except one cricket.

cage info:
Aluminum screen cage 16x16x36 (large screen cage)
Lighting- the zoo med 5.0 UVB linear light, with an 50W intense basking spot light
temp- lowest is 70 at night highest 85 during the day
humidity-not sure
plants- live hibiscus plants, all cleaned and cared for before putting in the cage.
placement- on top of a little stand thats about two feet high. Right by the bathroom hallway, low to moderate traffic during the afternoon only.
location- chicago, Il, summer time now so avg temp around 75-90 fareinheit

problem- not eating crickets or tiny meal worms. Ive only had her for 5 days, so maybe she is not acclimated to her new environment? she lives in ideal conditions for the most part. She is very active in her cage as well during the day. she usually is a light green color, but sometimes when she moves around she gets darker (not sure if this helps).
Ive also tried leaving a cup of a few crickets in her cage and she didnt even touch them, as well as taking her out and putting her in a bin with 4 or 5 crickets and leaving her alone, still no luck with that.
Im new completely to chameleons. Any help would be great! take a look at the pics and give me your input!

Attachments

• 20140523_160356[1].jpg
    20140523_160356[1].jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 20140523_160341[1].jpg
    20140523_160341[1].jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 123
Only use calcium WITHOUT d3 every feeding, d3 2x a month. Have you tried just putting crickets in her cage? Perhaps she's scared of hand feeding

Only use calcium WITHOUT d3 every feeding, d3 2x a month. Have you tried just putting crickets in her cage? Perhaps she's scared of hand feeding
Thank you. This actually seemed to work. Maybe she doesn't like being watched or something.

Thank you. This actually seemed to work. Maybe she doesn't like being watched or something.

They usually don't :) especially the new guys! I always just put the bugs in and walk away. If he even THINKS I'm watching him, he will retreat. If I had to guess, I'd say eating makes them feel vulnerable and when they're just little everything (especially the scary thing that walks on two legs :D ) is a predator. LOL over time, if you can build the trust, you will probably be able to hand feed. For now, I would just do what works for him.

Even my tame chams will sometimes stop chewing if they see me staring at them.
They generaly just dont like to be stared at.
When teaching them to hand feed, it's best to turn your head away.
It's also a good idea if they are above you, looking down.

Back
Top Bottom