New baby panther

jamesiiwentz

Hi everyone ok I just got my 3 month old blue bar panther and I have two questions 1 he is bobbing when he walks is that normal 2 he haven't eaten yet but he has drank he was shipped over night last night how long will it take befor he eats?

It sounds like you haven't done much research, to be honest.

"Head bobbing" when they're that young really isn't common, if you're talking about what I think you are talking about. If you mean the "leaf walk" then yes, that's common and normal.

He might take up to a week to adjust. Be patient.

Try to keep contact minimal and don't stare at him, it'll make him think you're a predator.

Also, try leaving food like tiny superworms or mealworms in a bowl, or fruit flies if he is small enough. Crickets jump everywhere. If you want, you can leave some tiny crickets or roaches in his cage and see if he goes hunting. Maybe he will eat then.

Some chams don't like drinking when you're around, so try misting him with a squirt bottle (and warm water) and make little drops off the leaves in his cage.

Hi make sure you post pics of your guy so we can see him. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about they're all diferent so some settle faster than others. Just offer him food a couple times a day and try not to disturb him to much.

I think it's a bit unfair to say he sounds as if he didn't do much research. It would definetely put me off If one of my first posts was responded to in that way. In my research I didn't read about leaf walking and only saw it when I saw some babies at a breeders place and he explained it to me.

Agree

It is not right to call someone out like that.. this is his 4th post and he is a new cham owner and a person new to the hobby and he is treated like this?? un called for. your a senior member how about setting a example.....with that said.

hey man its all good. dont stress to much this is a fun rewarding hobby. now take a pic of the habitat and lets see what going on over there. the head bobbing thing is a sexual suggestion that comes later. i believe he is leaf walking. if he is lifting his head it could also that he is dominate and claiming his area. give his some small crickets dusted accordingly an admire from a far...not all chams will eat infront of you. look for scat on the floor thats a good indication he is eating. give it time and be patient and enjoy that little guy it just gets better......now lets see that setup buddy.:D

It is not right to call someone out like that.. this is his 4th post and he is a new cham owner and a person new to the hobby and he is treated like this?? un called for. your a senior member how about setting a example.....with that said.

hey man its all good. dont stress to much this is a fun rewarding hobby. now take a pic of the habitat and lets see what going on over there. the head bobbing thing is a sexual suggestion that comes later. i believe he is leaf walking. if he is lifting his head it could also that he is dominate and claiming his area. give his some small crickets dusted accordingly an admire from a far...not all chams will eat infront of you. look for scat on the floor thats a good indication he is eating. give it time and be patient and enjoy that little guy it just gets better......now lets see that setup buddy.:D

I don't think SJ was coming down on the OP or trying to be rude, just making a comment which can be distorted and taken out of context.

Your cham is acting like a normal little panther cham :)

Remember, he is new to this unfamiliar surroundings, and will need time (days, maybe weeks) to settle in and feel comfortable enough to come up front and eat while you are watching.

Just leave him alone, don't stick your hand in his cage except when feeding.

Please help me sex my new panther 4 weeks old..

hello new member, please help me in identifying the gender of this 4 week old panther...

Attachments

• DSC_0794.jpg
    DSC_0794.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 217
Sorry SJ I didn't want people to start having a go at you I didn't think you were being nasty (definetely not on purpose anyway) to the OP just in my opinion the comment was a bit harsh.

robchameleon
Welcome to the forum. I don't have experience sexing babies this small I can only hazzard a guess and say female but I'm not really sure what to look for. The best thing to do is start your own thread here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleon-identification/
Only senior members can reply so you're unlikely to get wrong guesses (like mine likely is).

Robchameleon I'm no expert but I would say its a male with that buldge at the base of the tail but I would really wait to hear from someone with more experience with sexing.

Welcome and congrats on your new Panther! It will take him some time settling in. It's great that he is drinking so you are off to a great start. Make sure you feed size appropriate food, give him some space and he should do just great. We all love pics, hint, hint :D

Jason

Hi everyone ok I just got my 3 month old blue bar panther and I have two questions 1 he is bobbing when he walks is that normal 2 he haven't eaten yet but he has drank he was shipped over night last night how long will it take befor he eats?

Robchameleon I'm no expert but I would say its a male with that buldge at the base of the tail but I would really wait to hear from someone with more experience with sexing.

That bulge you are describing is the vent. The bulge that distinguishes male from female is really not present at 4 weeks. The indentation and thin tale is consistent with a female.

not 100%

only senior select members and mods can make them calls there is a spacific group for this at the bottom of the forum please relocate the thread there..........i believe its a female because the vent is the only thing seen so young the buldge comes later i agree with carol

Thanks I'm posting picks now of everything as for the sex mike at flchams said that it was a male so I hope he is true

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 132
Back
Top Bottom