New baby veiled- with question (and pics)!

Breezie

Hey all :)
I finally got my darling baby veiled Cham from LLLreptile yesterday. He's darling.
While I have some herp experience, this is my first Chameleon.
He appears to be in good condition, which is good- except he does not open his eyes? He walks around blindly in his habitat, but he is moving around.
I've been misting him, and I think he's been drinking. He has been sitting under his 100wt Zoo Med Powersun Bulb... and walking around. He just seems to not know where to put his little feet.
Is there anything else I should be doing to help him open his eyes?
Also- any idea on approximate age?

Attached are pics.
329026_10152382045420201_1046000508_o.jpg

282857_10152381974120201_1111140674_n.jpg

206785_10152382059810201_1032618720_n.jpg

Chameleon Info:

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Male Veiled, arrived yesterday. Age unknown
Handling - just to move from his shipping container to his enclosure
Feeding - He will be eating gut loaded crickets...hasn't eaten yet
Supplements - Rep Cal Calcium and Reptivites
Watering - misting w/ warm water w/ the spray bottle 4x a day
Fecal Description -black adn white
History -Arrived via fed ex from LLLReptil on 12/27

Cage Info:

Cage Type - 18 x 18 x 36" Aluminum Screen Cage
Lighting - Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Lamp, 100wt Zoo Med Powersun Bulb, lights ON 8am to 8pm
Temperature - 73-89 degrees
Placement - Where is your cage located? living room, not a high traffic area
Location - Washington DC area

Current Problem -Baby Veiled arrived with his eyes closed, and has not opened them.

My first thought would be that it might be the light. I don't know about the powersun...but he needs a uvb light. A good kind is the Reptisun 5.0, and also a regular, probably 40 watt, light bulb for basking. Now that I am looking at the pics again...it appears that he came out of the box this way. Is this the case? I would call and let LLLReptile know immediately, bc from what I hear they are very reputable. I hope this helps him. He is a little butie! My guess on his age would be around 2 or 2.5 months....though I am no expert. Good luck and keep us posted on how he is doing.

My first thought would be that it might be the light. I don't know about the powersun...but he needs a uvb light. A good kind is the Reptisun 5.0, and also a regular, probably 40 watt, light bulb for basking. Now that I am looking at the pics again...it appears that he came out of the box this way. Is this the case? I would call and let LLLReptile know immediately, bc from what I hear they are very reputable. I hope this helps him. He is a little butie! My guess on his age would be around 2 or 2.5 months....though I am no expert. Good luck and keep us posted on how he is doing.

Hi Molly!
The Repisun bulb does UVA, UVB and heat all in the same light, so I think I'm good there. He did come out of the box that way. I sent them an e-mail, however I will probably give them a call as well.

Ok. I've never heard of them. Yeah...I would say if he came out of the box that way that it's nothing you are doing. I do hope that whatever it is that it gets better. I have heard great things about LLLReptile, so hopefully they will be able to help you.

OK! Talked to LLL Reptile. They are always so helpful :)
I'm going to keep misting him and watch him and hopefully its' just stress form the shipping.

Back
Top Bottom