New Brookesia owner. Please help with ID and any tips and tricks for acclimation

You can put a slice of banana in with the babies and hope to draw in small flies while you wait for food. When this years Brookesia supercilaris hatched, they were also a surprise. Luckily I had some fungats gnats in there for them to eat. They went 3 or 4 days without me supplying vendor-bought feeders.

A few helpful tips when raising up pygmies is 1) keep them very humid and 2) feed them crickets as soon as you can.

For humidity, I put the pygmies in a clear storage container that you can purchase at Target. I then cut out an rectangle spaning the majority of the lid and hot glued mesh on top. That's the only ventilation they have. I didn't drill any additional holes on the side to get a chimney effect or anything. This holds the humidity quite well.

Since pygmies hatch out pretty small, they really need all the humidity they can get. If they are constantly losing water from low humidity, their bodies won't grow as much, or as fast.

As for the crickets, I noticed that this years babies have grown significantly faster than last years. I never bought fruit flies. I skipped them and fed pinhead crickets. Just make sure you are getting true pinheads. True pinheads are smaller than melanogaster fruit flies. And I always buy around 500 of them. When first feeding, they are a little small. But after a week or so, those crickets are slightly bigger so I feed a little less. It ends up working pretty well. Its more expensive, but totally worth it.

Thank you so much. It's out of the egg and sleeping on a leaf in that closed plastic shoebox. I'll update throughout the week.

I got some Melanogasters earlier today, and ordered some pinheads. I'll probably raid my isopod enclosures for some babies and hopefully that will more than suffice. What size bin do you use, and do you do those with a basic bioactive, like just soil and grass seeds and some small cleanup crew? It won't be established of course, but could be good for humidity, among other things.

Second egg is hatching! He has been coming out all day, very slowly.

I was actually surprised this one would hatch. The egg was a little smaller than the other one, and also was leaking something oozy when I moved the egg to the perlite a couple weeks ago.

The other one moved around a bit this morning but has mostly been sleeping all day, I don't think I need to be worried yet though, he has been holding tight to the little leaves.

Attachments

• PXL_20241015_212446127.MP.jpg
    PXL_20241015_212446127.MP.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 17290303273325329077777184862605.jpg
    17290303273325329077777184862605.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20241015_013750165.MP.jpg
    PXL_20241015_013750165.MP.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 1
A couple notes.

The first one seemed to have trouble opening his eyes yesterday and was rubbing them against stuff, but had them opened by the end so, hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

I should have buried the second egg a little more, I watched him struggle for a while to get out, I helped him out by putting down a cotton swab. Video is below. Also I wonder if pearlite is too abrasive and could rip off the yolk. I was a little worried about that. It worked for incubation (at least the last ~2.5 weeks lol), but I think vermiculite isn't as rough and is the better choice.

Back
Top Bottom