New Chameleon Owner. Getting a Panther on Friday.

Chelsitaylor

On Friday I will be getting a male Blue Bar Ambilobe Male that is 3-5 months old. It will be my first reptile. I've done a ton of research and ordered the Reptibreeze Chameleon kit, along with many other supplies. I have small mealworms and small crickets. I just need some advice before I get him/someone to ask questions to when I get him.
I am so excited for this little guy. I understand it will be a long process, but I am determined to establish a relationship of trust where he doesn't hate to be handled (I know they don't like a ton of interaction, I'm only talking 15-30 min a day). So I would greatly appreciate some advice!!!

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new panther. If you are buying him from a big breeder, chances are he's has not been handled. Being shipped and having all new surrounding is going to be a big adjustment for him so I recommend giving him some time to settle in before you handle him. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers below and a link for taming chameleons. Also, mealworms are not very good feeders for chameleons because they are hard to digest so I'd recommend a different worm to feed on a regular basis and only give one or two mealworms a week. A large variety of well gut load feeders is very important for chameleons. I recommend crickets, roaches, stick insects, mantis, flies, silkworms, butter worms, hornworms, super worms and Phoenix worms.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/psychobunny/746-taming-chameleon.html

Hello and welcome! Super advice from Jann as usual!

I think that 15/30 mins a day handling is too much for a chameleon, to be honest.... they generally get very stressed when being handled and too much stress can make them ill. Try and keep the mindset that they are the reptile versions of marine fish - beautiful and fascinating to watch, but from a distance lol!

I have an adult male Veiled and a 6 month Panther and handle them at the most once a week for about 10 mins maximum.

My only other piece of advice would be to read and digest all of the care sheets and information on the forum.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom