New chams and sexing..

BakedGoodies

I got these little guys yesterday. They're Nosy Faly's and I'm having problem determining which is the female and which is the male. Only the female doesn't mind the camera (I'm not using flash or anything) so I was only able to get a clear shots from one, the one I think is female. Anytime the camera goes near the other one, he rotates on whatever he's standing on. It's adorable, but I don't want to stress him out more so I'll hold off on a clear pic of him til later.

The only issue I have is knowing for sure if this is the girl. I didn't think girls showed a lot of color, and this one has these teal-ish marks that are so pretty. Also, I don't know if girls "puff up," and I've only seen the other one do that. The one I think is a he is paler colors with a strong horizontal band, lighter teal markings, and a little bigger.

The first pic is both of them when they arrived. Left one is what I think is female, right one is male. The rest of the pics are all of what I think is the female. Am I right?

Attachments

• P5200011.jpg
    P5200011.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 153
  • P5200017 (2).jpg
    P5200017 (2).jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 160
  • P5200014.jpg
    P5200014.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 182
  • P5200018.jpg
    P5200018.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 139
they are cute. a male and a female will both puff up. if you can take close up photos of the underside of the tail by the base. there are some members here that are amazing at sexing them if you can provide those close up shots

I'll try! I'm trying to let them settle in before I bug them too much. The one I think is a girl doesn't mind but the other one gets skittish and ends up falling.

i found the best way to photograph babies is to get a small enough stick for them thats not too long so they cant get too far away from you (predator birds) but not too short so he can get a little ways away from your hand holding the stick. wash the stick and take them outside on the stick. they are usually more comfortable on the stick than a hand that they cant grip good. and taking them outside distracts them. they all love to look around ouside. lol. when they reach the end of the stick they have nowhere to go so you can take your pictures while he just hangs out and looks around. usually works!

Your guess at sexing seems ok to me, but only because the 'male' is a little bigger. I assume you're keeping them in the same viv so you'll know in 3 months if they are the same sex.....:D Can you look after 2 separate Chameleons?

Oh yeah. It's me and my long term boyfriend (this is our 4th pet together) who are caring for them. In two or so months I'll separate them.

I'll try doing the stick idea tomorrow for pictures of the male..I'm scared of stressing him out. :/

Back
Top Bottom