New here help me choose!

PuppetHands

Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I've been researching chameleons for a little bit now and i'm still partial to a panther chameleon. I wanted to get everyone's opinions on which would be the best type of chameleon to get and where from. Right now i think i am leaning towards Kammerflage Kreations, but let me know some feedback please!
I appreciate it,

Samantha :)

welcome to the forum! panther chameleons are great and you can't go wrong w/ a kammer's baby. i have 2 kammer's babies but you can also look at the other site sponsors as they are also very good and reputable. good luck and keep us updated. :)

Do you have two cages for them? I am almost certain that once i purchase one, the second one won't be too far behind. At the pet store, you can't peel me away from them. I really wanted to go through a breeder not a pet store to make sure it is a quality chameleon.

Does choosing the sire actually play a big difference in how your panther will come out? I've seen babies that grow and look verrrrry different than the sire. I am nervous considering it is my first time owning one, i just want to pick the perfect one and i definitely want to be able to hold him.

Do you have two cages for them? I am almost certain that once i purchase one, the second one won't be too far behind. At the pet store, you can't peel me away from them. I really wanted to go through a breeder not a pet store to make sure it is a quality chameleon.

Does choosing the sire actually play a big difference in how your panther will come out? I've seen babies that grow and look verrrrry different than the sire. I am nervous considering it is my first time owning one, i just want to pick the perfect one and i definitely want to be able to hold him.

yes, you have to have separate cages for each cham. you're absolutely right..it is an addiction. i'd go through a breeder. the pet stores don't know how to care for them. especially your first one, you'll want a nice, healthy cham.

choosing the sire for a cham is like choosing the sire for anything. if you like the sire's traits, then yes, there is the possibility that it will look like it. but there are no guarantees. the kammers are great and so are their chams but ultimately it's up to you and which sire you like best. good luck and feel free to ask more questions...

Thanks for such quick, informative feedback :)

As for the cage setup, the kammerflage 24 -item Medium size cage would be okay for a new cham? is there anything else needed that's not included? or if there is a cage setup that has everything on a different website i'd be interested to know where please.

Another question that just occurred to me, will smoking affect the chameleon harshly? It would not be in the same room as smoke but if a person were to smoke in their house?

i think you'll be good w/ that kit. eventually as your cham gets bigger, you'll need to upgrade to an adult cage.

i have no idea about smoke affecting chams. i wouldn't smoke in the same room as the cham if i was a smoker.

Should i just get the large cage setup. (i'm planning on hand feeding)

that's really up to you. if you don't feel like swapping cages when he's around 1yr old, then i'd go w/ a bigger setup. another thing to remember is that you may want to customize your setup later on down the road...

- you should either go all out and buy a full adult cage w/ all the accessories not in a kit

- just get the medium kit now and as you get more experience, get an adult cage w/ the accessories that you want.

budge is also a factor so just do what works for you.

Thanks for such quick, informative feedback :)

As for the cage setup, the kammerflage 24 -item Medium size cage would be okay for a new cham? is there anything else needed that's not included? or if there is a cage setup that has everything on a different website i'd be interested to know where please.

Another question that just occurred to me, will smoking affect the chameleon harshly? It would not be in the same room as smoke but if a person were to smoke in their house?

dont smoke in the same room youll be fine.

one nice thing about places like kammer is you can see what the parents look like so you have a generalized idea of what the offspring will come out looking like.

honestly i always recommend veileds to new owners. not only are they awesome and big (sometimes) but they are very easy to breed have very large clutches.

if your hell bent on tasting the rainbow that is panther ownership i cant blame you.

but ive found veileds slightly more satisfying. they seem to have more .... dare i say moxie?

biggest thing with veiled they are more forgiving when it comes to novice mistakes. but the plain and simple fact that you are HERE asking for advice is a very good sign and i think youd do just fine with panthers.

you will be needing separate cages as mentioned already. and 2x2x4 cages are ideal but 18"x18"x36" will do fine even for adults. it makes filling up cage space with live plants a bit easier too. even so i only use 2x2x4s though i have housed juveniles, female panthers and jacksons just fine in 2x2x2 cubes long term

Hey there!

There are many "smaller" breeders that also have great quality animals available, they will frequently post them in the classifieds section.
You might give them a look.

I purchased my ambilobe from Epic Chameleons, and couldnt be happier. Curt was very helpful with the whole process, and continues to maintain contact to make sure all is well.
I have no problem at all plugging him:http://www.epicchameleons.com/

I have never kept a veiled, but panthers are very relaxed, and easy to work with compared to my jackson. I would definitely recommend a panther.
JMO

Good luck to you in your endeavor!
You will find the perfect chameleon;)

EDIT: On the subject of smoke, chameleons are VERY sensitive to things like that, as well as air fresheners, and any chemical really.
Make sure that they dont come into contact with it at all.

(Fun Fact: Chameleons do not have cannabinoid receptors, that kind of smoke will only harm them as well, just sayin...)

I would echo what Solid Snake said. While chameleonsonly.com has really top quality animals and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them and have bought from them. I would first decide what locale you are interested in and check out some of the smaller "hobby" breeders because they usually only have one or two clutches at a time and spend lots of extra time with them. I would check out the classifieds and if interested in an Ambanja check out Texas Ranger, if an Ambilobe check out Suzi's excellent babies.....just a thought. ChuckG with Heroic also has top shelf animals.

Back
Top Bottom